Slash interview (Classic Rock): More re-recorded CD leftovers are coming (no details)

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

I assume it will be the single that promotes the UYI box set. They'll probably release a lyric video and 7" single (with one of the leftover TSI? songs as the b-side) like they did with Shadow Of Your Love.

Works for me. We need that song still

i wouldn’t mind Crash Diet and Bring it Back Home being brought back but I think those are dead

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

The ones i've always been most intrigued about were the General, obviously and Soul Monster. 

The General is the only CD era song I have an interest in especially with how much Sebastian Bach raved about it. Atlas Shrugged was up there too but we got a version of it.

At the very least, the band releasing the AFD boxset and the 2 singles last year show that they're at least willing to release stuff.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ZoSoRose said:

Works for me. We need that song still

i wouldn’t mind Crash Diet and Bring it Back Home being brought back but I think those are dead

It'd be cool if the early demos of The Garden and Bad Obsession (from the same sessions as Crash Diet, etc) are cleaned up and released in the box set.

I'm guessing after the Hard Skool EP drops later this year, they'll focus on the UYI box for most of the summer/fall and maybe we'll get some more CD2 songs in the fall/winter.

• Like 1

This is a similar approach that Smashing Pumpkins, My Chemical Romance and the RHCP have done before, as well was many bands.

conventional weapons, teargarden by kalydescope (sp) and the name of the chili’s one escapes me.

so it’s not unfathomable and not unreasonable for them to take this approach.

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

Actually Susan said it in April 2020, when Covid had already hit.

Fuck, sometimes I forget that Covid has already been going on for two years…

2 minutes ago, DefinitelyInThisLifetime said:

This is a similar approach that Smashing Pumpkins, My Chemical Romance and the RHCP have done before, as well was many bands.

conventional weapons, teargarden by kalydescope (sp) and the name of the chili’s one escapes me.

so it’s not unfathomable and not unreasonable for them to take this approach.

I’m Beside You was the RHCP one, because it was all b-sides from the Im With You sessions (get it?).

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BassistSeb said:

It's a shame that Slash talking about new GN'R material is much the same as the nuGuns guys talking about it in terms of not really going into specifics and trying to dodge the questions. I had hoped that things would be different post-reunion. Good news that new singles are coming out. Any GN'R material is good material at this point really. It is a bit of an elephant in the room considering that genre wise his solo stuff is the same as Guns so those songs could be Guns songs but the fact they're not implies that no new new material will be out. 

The wording re the album's a bit vague though - it could be read two ways:

a) Once they've put an album's worth of singles out they'll release them as an album.

b) A few more singles until an album's worth of stuff is good to go and then a whole album will drop. 

If it is option a it reminds me of what Billy Corgan had planned with Teargarden by Kaleidyscope way back when. Indeed, at the time (late 2000s) there was talk that records were dead and that putting odd songs out now and again was the way forward. It didn't take off though. 

It will probably end same way - for the better too, judging Absurd and HS.

These 2 prove once and for all - it takes a lot more than just Salash/Axl/Duff to make a record to GNR standards.

Absurd and HS are something that could be heard in every city in some club, each night, actually I do believe there are localy bands nobody has ever heard of that play clubs with better stuff every night.

The key point to take out of the interview is its the first time Slash has allowed an incite into his current relationship with Axl. Both have settled there differences and an element of respect has developed.

New music will come based on that alone. 

Create a foundation, the rest will fall into place.. 

Edited by kiwiguns
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Even if the fan theory is true that Axl hasn’t done anything since Village, he’s at least recorded vocals for The General (cause clips with vocals leaked and people like Baz have talked about it), Soul Monster (cause Axl talked about recording vocals for the bridge, at least) and Zodiac (cause it was labeled as “w/o vox” on the discs so that means a version with vocals likely exists).

So that leaves us with Hard Skool, Absurd, Atlas, Perhaps, Eye On You (hopefully with the “mac daddy” part removed), The General, Soul Monster and Zodiac.

And even if something like Zodiac doesn’t actually have vocals, they can just swap it with OMG.

So eight songs. A little short, sure, but remember that this is basically now gonna be a compilation of singles, rather than a studio album proper. They’ll probably release three more “split singles” like the Hard Skool/ Absurd thing and then group them all together.

I left off “sketch” songs like State of Grace, Quick Song and Nothing cause as of now we have no evidence that Axl ever recorded proper lyrics for those.

I’d be well happy with a remixed OMG with additional guitars/bass. I’ve always loved that song however the mix was too muddy.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

I’d be well happy with a remixed OMG with additional guitars/bass. I’ve always loved that song however the mix was too muddy.

OMG is a good song with a bad mix (kinda like Hard Skool) but it was released, played live and forgotten 20 years ago. It would be a shame if they wasted their time releasing a re-worked OMG instead of something we haven't heard.

Eye On You was stripped for parts and spliced into the mid-section of Hard Skool so I doubt they'll do anything with that.

1 hour ago, MaskingApathy said:

I wish they had asked about the UYI box too.

I’m thinking the interview was probably held before he mentioned the UYI boxset. I was hoping for some discussion on that too….I’m just being greedy I guess! 🤣