I have two holy grails:

Both are from 2006: Axl Rose at his prime. One of the greatest frontman of all time with his good powers.

- First are the two CD's of finished mastered music in early 2006. The ultimate (and true) version of Chinese Democracy. 

On 01/13/06, Axl visited Korn's tour launch party at the Hollywood Forever Cemetary, and gave his first comments to a member of the press in over three years.

"'People will hear music this year,' says Axl Rose, puffing on a cigar in the early hours of Saturday morning at the Hollywood Forever Cemetery. 'We're working on thirty-two songs, and twenty-six are nearly done,' he says. Of those, thirteen are slated for the final album. [...] Among Rose's favorites are 'Better,' 'There Was a Time' and 'The Blues.'" (Rolling Stone, 01/18/06)

"As a sign of his gratitude, Mullineaux said Rose sent someone to his hotel room to retrieve two CDs, each one containing 10 tracks. [...] Mullineaux, who said he manned the DJ booth and spun the discs for Rose, said several of the tracks reminded him of classic GN'R, with moments of uncharacteristic heaviness. Axl 'kept telling me to put back track #3 '” I guess that was his favorite song,' he said." (MTV, 02/23/06)

Was track #3 perhaps Better, There Was a Time, or The Blues?

"'He wanted to play that one over and over, like six times. He was really getting into it and rockin' out. Everybody was surprised at how good it sounded. And that third track, that was the song where his voice sounded the best; the smoothest.'

CD 1:

1. Chinese Democracy
  2. Riad N' The Bedouins
  3. Shackler's Revenge
  4. The Blues
  5. If The World
  6. Better
  7. This I Love
  8. There Was a Time
  9. Lies They Tell
  10. Sorry
  11. I.R.S.
  12. Madagascar
  13. Prostitute

CD 2:

1. Thyme
  2. Jackie Chan
  3. Atlas Shrugged
  4. Berlin
  5. Oh My God
  6. Going Down
  7. Seven
  8. Soul Monster
  9. The General
  10. State Of Grace
  11. Perhaps
  12. Catcher In The Rye
  13. Silkworms

The other six of the 32 songs probably were: "Quick Song", "Zodiac", "Tonto", "Light My Fire", "Nothin'" and "Cuban Skies". 13+13+6 = 32.

-

14608922221023.jpg

-  And second, is the first Hammersmith gig from 2006 (when they played almost the half of "Chinese Democracy") but in pristine audio and 4k footage.

"Over the four nights [at the Hammerstein Ballroom], audiences were also treated to nearly half of the band's upcoming new album, Chinese Democracy, with live performances of 'Chinese Democracy,' 'Better,' 'There was a Time,' 'Madagascar,' 'IRS' and 'The Blues.'" (GNR, press release, 05/22/06)

1. The General (Intro music)
  2. Welcome To The Jungle
  3. It's So Easy
  4. Mr. Brownstone
  5. Better
  6. Live And Let Die
  7. Sweet Child O' Mine
  8. Knockin' On Heaven's Door
  9. Madagascar
  10. You Could Be Mine
  11. The Blues
  12. Out Ta Get Me
  13. Prostitute (solo piano intro)
  14. November Rain
  15. My Michelle (with Sebastian Bach)
  16. Chinese Democracy
  17. There Was a Time
  18. Patience
  19. I.R.S.
  20. Nightrain
  21. Paradise City

Post your all time Axl Rose & His Band - Holy Grail of all times.

Let's discuss.

Edited by CubanSkies Dummy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

South America 2020 documentary 

CD2 from 2010

Understanding more about the controversy with Dr Dre

What?!

What happened between Chinese Democracy and D.E.T.O.X.?! I don't know nothin' about it.

Please, explain!

And why do you want that 2020 doc?! Must be boring as hell!

CD2 has Ashba, Ferrer and BBF on it.

I want the 2006 version!

2 minutes ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

What?!

What happened between Chinese Democracy and D.E.T.O.X.?! I don't know nothin' about it.

Please, explain!

And why do you want that 2020 doc?! Must be boring as hell!

CD2 has Ashba, Ferrer and BBF on it.

I want the 2006 version!

The Dr Dre thing is from the leaked emails.

2010 is one of my favorite years as a GNR fan, so I was excited to see the limited footage with Prostitute song over the trailer before it got shelved.

I was under the impression that DJ wouldn't have been on the 2010 disk. Did he really record parts for all those songs?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Coma16 said:

I was under the impression that DJ wouldn't have been on the 2010 disk. Did he really record parts for all those songs?

My understanding is CD2, as it existed then, didn't have DJ on it. CD2 was pretty much ready around the same time as the 2008 album. So it had Bumble mixed around like he was on the 2008 album.

I hope it leaks, or better yet, the tracks leak in a form prior to the mixes with Bumblefoot on them so we get all of the Bucket stuff.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, mystery said:

Axl was definitely not in his prime in 2006 but he still sounded good. Honestly the two Joint shows in December 2001. Don't even think they were filmed so it's a holy grail for something that doesn't exist.

The 2000-2002 Axl was not prime for sure. It was ultra clean almost all the time. 2006 had a hybrid of ultra clean and distorted and it sounded incredible. If I could pause Axls voice at any time period 2006 is a no brainer, superior to all other years... Even though I love his voice on some of those UYI shows. I just think the 2006 voice was more consistent... Still some off nights, but overall very much on it!

• Like 3

1 minute ago, -W.A.R- said:

It was the 01.01.01 show.

I still wouldn't mind a proper release that is uncropped and better quality.

The uncropped 10GB file is out there, the quality is only slightly better than the 1.2GB file that done the rounds.

27 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

It’s odd that some of the stuff was recorded during the UYI sessions yet Spaghettis production is so much better (specifically the drums).

Clink with two years newer technology, I guess.

Edited by drlaban
Spelling

3 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I hope it leaks, or better yet, the tracks leak in a form prior to the mixes with Bumblefoot on them so we get all of the Bucket stuff.

I could've bet a kidney on this response! Haha! You're like the grown man who can't forget going out with a girl when they were 15! Actually no, scrap that. Who can't forget two other people going out when they were 15! Seriously dude, let it go. Or get yourself a chicken coop! 🤣 Constantly hoping and posting about Buckethead is just weird. I love Tommy Bolin and I love Deep Purple (or certainly did). But I don't live in hope that the next Purple album has a guitar solo by him. Controversially, I listen to his solo material (now that there's much as he's dead but hey ho). Unless this is of course pure trolling and I have just played into it. Oh FFS! 😋😬