New SMKC single Call Off The Dogs

metallex78

A fast rocker, similar to other SMKC fast rockers, and Myles isn’t overly annoying on it, though melody wise it just sounds like you’ve heard all before. Slash sounds great, there’s some very nice riffing going on under the first verse that reminded me a little of Double Talkin Jive, and the solo is nice short without getting too shreddy.

Listening to all three singles together, seems to make more sense than listening as standalone songs.

I think Fill My World is the best we’ve heard so far, and I don’t think any of these songs are particularly great, but I’m still interested enough to hear the rest of the album. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I like this one, it's going to be killer live.

1 hour ago, Towlie said:

The audio quality just makes it hard for me to get in to.

Wish they had've just done a normal studio recording and done a live album as a bonus.

Yeah the mix sucks, sounds really weak even compared to other new records from the last year or so. Like listen to these 3 singles compared to the Mammoth WVH album, Minefield, Pretty Reckless, etc. All of those sound modern and punchy and this one isn't. Even Gilby's record and the Hookers & Blow cover one are mixed better imo. I really hate that Dave has pretty much buried Todd's vocal when all the previous albums featured him loud and clear. It's like there's a ghost of him there but you can't quite make him out. That's the part I hate the most, followed by the drum sound/mix. 

You can do a live recording like this but still have it mixed better, although tbh I'm sure there's parts that they would've normally fixed. I think the differences will become much more apparent when the tour starts and we hear the live versions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Towlie said:

The audio quality just makes it hard for me to get in to.

Wish they had've just done a normal studio recording and done a live album as a bonus.

Same here. Not really digging the mix.

Also, I'm finding Slash's playing to be a bit less polished/sloppy in the tracks released so far, which I guess is because of the live recording process. His playing in the previous SMKC albums was much more tighter. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, 22frets said:

Same here. Not really digging the mix.

Also, I'm finding Slash's playing to be a bit less polished/sloppy in the tracks released so far, which I guess is because of the live recording process. His playing in the previous SMKC albums was much more tighter. 

Yeah he mentioned in the Classic Rock interview that this is the first time he's not redone all his guitar tracks after doing the drums and bass, so it's just whatever they got down during those first 5 days. This song has a couple flubs if you listen closely.

25 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

You would think at the very least we’d be able to hear the guitar cutting thru properly 

Yeah that's another thing I don't like, Slash isn't as dominant in the mix as on the Elvis records. Actually LTD had the best mix of Slash and Frank, you could hear both parts clearly but neither was stepping on the other.

• Like 1

I have no issues with the sound whatsoever. This track is awesome and not once have I thought anything sounded wrong to me. It sounds a bit different from WOF and LTD, but that's good in my opinion. If they went the previous way and kept Elvis and producing the same way we would get the exact same freaking album again (WOF) . LTD was already WOF - the outtakes - to me, it's WOF again, just with worse songs. I don't think Slash will ever better WOF, especially not with GNR active again so it's downhill from here, so any change in production will make SMKC albums different from each other atleast in SOME way instead of getting worse WOF clones all the time.

I do find the whole play live but studio only thing weird, there's no crowd energy or that passion from playing really live gigs. They should have just played the new songs live for real in real shows and just record that. Tons of great live albums made that way that sound great also. There's even some live versions I prefer over the studio cuts sometimes, so playing live is not the issue, it's that they chose this half ass studio way.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

Made a better first impression on me than the other two singles did. That said, I can’t help but wonder how much better all three of these songs would sound if they were, you know, recorded layer by layer in a studio? You know, like actual songs usually are…

I don’t get Slash’s obsession with the whole “we gotta do it all live” thing. Then again, I don’t get Axl’s obsession with taking twenty years to do everything either…

If Slash wants to keep doing this “all live in one take” thing then maybe his next release should just be an acoustic EP or something. Acoustic music works better for that sorta thing.

Edited by rocknroll41
  • Like 1

This is more of the same. It's rock n roll... but entirely forgettable. The riffs are complete C grade filler Slash ideas, was there a solo? I just listened to it and I honestly can barely remember it. 

Hate the sounds on the record too, it sounds really bad. Drums are horrible, guitars are thin and lifeless. Overall this record screams of needing more time and attention on the key things, good riffs, good melodies, good arrangements and a great mix. So far both singles are both very poor and uninspired.

Generous 3 or 4/10 just bleh! I kinda feel like the SMKC thing has reached the end of the line. They peaked at WOF and have not come even remotely close to touching that quality level since.

Maybe Slash is intentionally releasing a shit record to make Absurd and HardSkool look better?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, rocknroll41 said:

Made a better first impression on me than the other two singles did. That said, I can’t help but wonder how much better all three of these songs would sound if they were, you know, recorded layer by layer in a studio? You know, like actual songs usually are…

I don’t get Slash’s obsession with the whole “we gotta do it all live” thing. Then again, I don’t get Axl’s obsession with taking twenty years to do everything either…

If Slash wants to keep doing this “all live in one take” thing then maybe his next release should just be an acoustic EP or something. Acoustic music works better for that sorta thing.

You can do all live without overdubs and still sound huge... I am guessing the loose sound of this record is entirely intentional. Personally I'd rather have heard this record a few months from now after the band had rehearsed the balls off each songs and could play it in their sleep. It sounds like these songs were written and recorded then and there and nobody is fully sure of the parts they are playing. The SMKC band is full of brilliant players and Slash can obviously play his ass off, but it doesn't come across here at all!

5 hours ago, Ana_1991 said:

Mix is awful! :(

4 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

Yeah I agree. Would've benefitted from a little more time spent on getting the best takes.

4 hours ago, LA_0013 said:

Think these guys hit their creative peak on WOF

WOF was just packed with great songs from start to finish. If they had split it into 2 albums I think that would've worked better. There's just too many good songs on it which makes everything else look not as good in comparison.

3 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

You can do all live without overdubs and still sound huge... I am guessing the loose sound of this record is entirely intentional. Personally I'd rather have heard this record a few months from now after the band had rehearsed the balls off each songs and could play it in their sleep. It sounds like these songs were written and recorded then and there and nobody is fully sure of the parts they are playing. The SMKC band is full of brilliant players and Slash can obviously play his ass off, but it doesn't come across here at all!

I saw some pics from another interview (Australian Guitar I think) and Slash said that some of the songs weren't completely done when they got to Nashville, they finished figuring out some of the arrangements etc basically as they were tracking them. Which can be cool and lead to unexpected results but it would've been even stronger if they had spent more time on all that before recording. Like to me the drums sound like Fitzy is still working out his parts instead of being completely confident of what he's playing.

9 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I have no issues with the sound whatsoever. This track is awesome and not once have I thought anything sounded wrong to me. It sounds a bit different from WOF and LTD, but that's good in my opinion. If they went the previous way and kept Elvis and producing the same way we would get the exact same freaking album again (WOF)

Nah if you listen to these songs then compare it to the Elvis records or the other bands that I mentioned earlier you'll hear a big difference. This one sounds weak and kind of amateur compared to those.

The problem is going with Dave, like it's cool that he was up for doing a more live record and using tape but you have to listen to his previous stuff to see if you're going to like the production of those albums. He did the last Airbourne record and to me it sounds like a demo that someone recorded in their garage compared to their previous record. This is shaping up to be the same sort of thing. And it's a little irritating to hear little mistakes with the drums and Slash's guitar that otherwise wouldn't be there.