New SMKC single Call Off The Dogs

metallex78

3 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You weren't underwhelmed by the 2 singles that came out before this? Dross of the highest order, I heard them maybe twice and probably never going to listen to them again, I dont get why people shit on THIS single, this actually has some energy. The 2 songs that came BEFORE this, are the shit ones.

One out of three is slightly less shitty, yay. :D

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

You weren't underwhelmed by the 2 singles that came out before this? Dross of the highest order, I heard them maybe twice and probably never going to listen to them again, I dont get why people shit on THIS single, this actually has some energy. The 2 songs that came BEFORE this, are the shit ones.

Don’t think I’ve heard them yet. Only checked this one out due to this thread then it popped up on my Spotify recommended.

I don't understand. All big bands nowadays aren't even close to being as good as their older days. Iron maiden, the who, Def leppard, whitesnake, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, the eagles, black Sabbath, ACDC etc etc ETC. They all writing new material and it's absolutely terrible compared to their young years but no one shits on them. It's new rock music from them so it's a bonus and all positive. Slash has constantly pumped out albums. Never going to be as good as old gnr days but it's all still been great. It's just bound to happen at a stage where the music isn't going to be as great anymore. And so what? Yes it's generic rock but it's still rock and I'm so appreciative of it. Ok, you want to criticize and give your opinion that's fine. But y'all need to just chillax and thankful. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, DK6 said:

I hate it.

This makes me sad because I feel like Slash's credibility and reputation takes a hit with every crappy soft rock SMKC song he puts out.

Early on there were some ok songs but they have clearly run out of ideas.

I find these songs embarrassing. They actually make me cringe.

In Slash's defense, I don't know why people keep listening to his songs expecting anything different. Slash has always been about meat and potatoes, no frills, rock 'n roll. That's his musical DNA. You may complain about the songwriting, but I'd say it's no better or worse than the stuff he was putting out with Snakepit. 

People need to stop listening to SMKC songs and expecting them to sound like anything other than SMKC. They have a sound, they stick to it. Myles will always sound like Myles and Slash will always sound like Slash. What do you want from them?

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 4

20 minutes ago, Towelie said:

In Slash's defense, I don't know why people keep listening to his songs expecting anything different. Slash has always been about meat and potatoes, no frills, rock 'n roll. That's his musical DNA. You may complain about the songwriting, but I'd say it's no better or worse than the stuff he was putting out with Snakepit. 

People need to stop listening to SMKC songs and expecting them to sound like anything other than SMKC. They have a sound, they stick to it. Myles will always sound like Myles and Slash will always sound like Slash. What do you want from them?

To split up so Slash can do something else? :D

SMKC is just painful at this point. Can Slash do something as cool/ great as Always on the run or Give in to me these days? 

I think he could, but certainly not with SMKC. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I don't know about better on a technical level but Snskepit was much more rnr and it was Slash on his peak imo. Those two records are his best outside of GNR by far IMO... especially I5OCS

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I don't know about better on a technical level but Snskepit was much more rnr and it was Slash on his peak imo. Those two records are his best outside of GNR by far IMO... especially I5OCS

Hmmm, I liked Aint Life Grand, but I5OCS wasn't a favourite. Contraband is his best post-Guns work imo. Shame Libertad blew, but even that had Messages which I'd put up there with Give Into Me or his work on Nov Rain.

The SMKC albums are all of a similar quality imo. I struggle to see how some fans can rave about WOF but hate LTD or his newer stuff. It's all cut from the same cloth. I like it all, obviously some songs more than others. It's not Slash at his peak, but there's always plenty of great riffs, a few great solos and a handful of keepers. They're always worth checking out. I wouldn't say one album stands out over the others tbh.

Edited by Towelie
  • Like 2

On 1/14/2022 at 7:22 PM, drlaban said:

How could they mix and master 30 years ago but not now?

The amount of music from high profile artists that's been released with shitty mixes/masters since the 90s has been rather staggering. Wonder how the people doing it still have jobs.

Edited by Jw224

Hoping this is slash going with a more untraditional approach in releasing a new album. Fillers first then the big guns as the album release date approaches. Followed by more big guns to keep the new album buzz going.

Maybe that is gnr’s approach after releasing absurd and HS. 

Edited by Top-Hatted One

45 minutes ago, Top-Hatted One said:

Hoping this is slash going with a more untraditional approach in releasing a new album. Fillers first then the big guns as the album release date approaches. Followed by more big guns to keep the new album buzz going.

Maybe that is gnr’s approach after releasing absurd and HS. 

Have to differentiate between what are singles and what are the "best" songs. How many times has it happened where you listened to an album and went the singles released weren't the best songs? They release singles to get attention and maybe still get them played on radio, and they have to be cut from a certain cloth for that. That's why a song like Driving Rain was the lead single for LTD and not Serve You Right or Great Pretender, even though those are clearly better songs by miles.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 2

Yea but prior to Driving Rain Slash’s singles were always at least decent with a chance of garnering interest from newer casual rock fans. Like You’re a lie. Not the best song on A.L. But a great song and successful single. Still gets the crowd going when they play it. 

I doubt these 3 singles will resonate with anyone new or old. Hopefully this 4th single will and whatever other singles follow will

• Like 1

15 hours ago, skik08 said:

I don't understand. All big bands nowadays aren't even close to being as good as their older days. Iron maiden, the who, Def leppard, whitesnake, Paul McCartney, Fleetwood Mac, the eagles, black Sabbath, ACDC etc etc ETC. They all writing new material and it's absolutely terrible compared to their young years but no one shits on them. It's new rock music from them so it's a bonus and all positive. Slash has constantly pumped out albums. Never going to be as good as old gnr days but it's all still been great. It's just bound to happen at a stage where the music isn't going to be as great anymore. And so what? Yes it's generic rock but it's still rock and I'm so appreciative of it. Ok, you want to criticize and give your opinion that's fine. But y'all need to just chillax and thankful. 

This board just has a lot of negitivity.   Look at the boards reception for Living the Dream vs the critical reception.  Critically the album did well.  Even better than WoF and AL actually. But around here people shit on it all the time, when it's actually a pretty good album with some awesome songs.  

Honestly Slash has never let me down.  The only slash album I could never get into was 5 o'clock and that isn't on him, Eric dover was just a bad vocalist.  I expect another solid album from Slash, and I've enjoyed what I've heard so far.

Edited by Bitchisback
  • Like 4

15 hours ago, skik08 said:

I think me getting older and less excited by this kind of stuff is part of it.

Im more frustrated by the production than the throwaway song.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Bitchisback said:

This board just has a lot of negitivity.   Look at the boards reception for Living the Dream vs the critical reception.  Critically the album did well.  Even better than WoF and AL actually. But around here people shit on it all the time, when it's actually a pretty good album with some awesome songs.  

Honestly Slash has never let me down.  The only slash album I could never get into was 5 o'clock and that isn't on him, Eric dover was just a bad vocalist.  I expect another solid album from Slash, and I've enjoyed what I've heard so far.

Absurd was also critically acclaimed. Tells you all you need to know.