Appetite for Distortion - Mick Wall gets in the ring...

3 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Don't read it. It's an opinion piece rather than a biography. His sources were old interviews from the 80s and 90s he had no new info, it's all from 'a source close to the band' and we all know anytime that's said it's almost always BS. 

Thanks, I will not read it in that case!  I am glad I got it used, and as a gift then, so me and the person who gave it to me years ago are not at a loss either way lol

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

The most interesting section of this interview and both interviewer and interviewee won't talk about it. Why mention Axls personal life if you're not going to talk about it? my guess is that Mick loves to be thought of as 'in the know'. I don't doubt Axl was in a dark spot in the 90s and throughout most of the making of Chinese though... I don't think you need to be an insider to work that out.

You can talk about a topic without doing a deep dive into every aspect.  He spoke of Axl's mental health as a jumping off point to his own, made sense to me.

Thought that was good.  I haven't read any of his books but I totally get the part about every fact may not be a fact when you are looking back at something that happen.  You can't get everybody who's present at a car wreck to write the same story.  I've gotten to the point of saying if I remember correctly.  :lol:  And then there's my point of view and for some of those stories I and everybody else were totally wasted.

Had to laugh at the sweat pants joke.  I believe he's referring to the black ones, cut off to shorts.  Comfy I'm sure and I've looked worse but never outside of the house!  :lol:

I don't know why he thinks Axl is all alone.  Close relationships don't have to be based on sex or even longevity.  Axl might even like the chance to be alone.  You'd have to ask him those questions.  I wouldn't feel bad for him.  He looks pretty happy these days

I would have taken "you won" as a comment about having a famous band and personal fortune.  About the band being back together, I'd just say "most of it worked itself out".  Not something you would want to think of as winning.  But again, you'd have to ask Axl how he sees that.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

The most interesting section of this interview and both interviewer and interviewee won't talk about it. Why mention Axls personal life if you're not going to talk about it? my guess is that Mick loves to be thought of as 'in the know'. I don't doubt Axl was in a dark spot in the 90s and throughout most of the making of Chinese though... I don't think you need to be an insider to work that out.

How much do they really know about his personal life?  Mick I'm assuming is going off of Axl from the early 90's and Brando from what he's heard.  There's a narrative out there about Axl that maybe more fiction then reality, less fact and more opinion.  Don't know the guy but nobody is the same person they were 30 years ago, not even 10 years ago.  Like Mick said, just people.  Then again just people don't sell out big rock shows, you need a guy with a narrative.  

40 minutes ago, cineater said:

How much do they really know about his personal life?  Mick I'm assuming is going off of Axl from the early 90's and Brando from what he's heard.  There's a narrative out there about Axl that maybe more fiction then reality, less fact and more opinion.  Don't know the guy but nobody is the same person they were 30 years ago, not even 10 years ago.  Like Mick said, just people.  Then again just people don't sell out big rock shows, you need a guy with a narrative.  

I always say I don't really know these people, that I have a fan perspective. Even those I interview, do I really "know" them? No. Neither does Mick and he knows that. Mick said a lot of nice things about Axl in the interview, but no one seems to pick up on that. FYI that will be Mick's gripe next time he's on.

Oh, and if he has Axl on tape talking about Vince Neil in 1990, he should release it. I don't think it would hurt Axl. Axl didn't deny talking shit about Vince Neil and challenging him to a fight (in fact, he continued challenging him in subsequent interviews for a while). He even stated that the things he said about him in the interview with Mick Wall were even meaner than what came out in Kerrang. His problem seemed to be the way his words were paraphrased - and, in a related note, it's interesting that the quotes about Vince Neil in the Kerrang interview are not identical to the ones included in the extended version of the interview that was published in Mick Wall's 1991 book.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gambit83 said:

I always say I don't really know these people, that I have a fan perspective. Even those I interview, do I really "know" them? No. Neither does Mick and he knows that. Mick said a lot of nice things about Axl in the interview, but no one seems to pick up on that. FYI that will be Mick's gripe next time he's on.

No point in gripping, just the way it is, just the angle that's always taken when it comes to Axl.  His nice stuff isn't what people are interested in.

You are respectful and all you can do is let people tell it from their perspective.  It's their hand to play.

• Like 1