Favorite "little" mixing decision on a GNR song, or specific effect/moment of sound design?

On 1/22/2022 at 4:06 PM, Dean said:

Agreed. I'm convinced it's Axl's voice on the studio number, it should definitely have been more prominent regardless of who was singing it though!

Yeah I assumed it was mentioned that Axl said he liked duff's backing but it doesn't really sound like him tbh. Sounds like Axl. 

Edit: Actually I just isolated the vocals and I'm pretty sure it's Duff.

Edited by Jw224

17 hours ago, doakes said:

The tin can left-to-right phase in If The World-- Then those drums hit with full force in stereo. 

Good one!  I always enjoyed that too, I remember that the initial leak of it didn't have that effect it just played as normal, and I loved that addition to the album version

Speaking of If The World, the intro with the addition of the acoustic guitar strums is great too

A lot of great ones mentioned here!  It is fun reading what everyone is coming up with, in retrospect it is all the subtle things like these that made me love GNR in the first place

One additional one for me, the "dolphin" guitar sounds right before the 2nd solo in Estranged are amazingly phrased and very ambient and vibey.  Not much in terms of sound design beyond Slash's control of his volume knob swells and perhaps some reverb in post, but it really gives that part a very other-worldly vibe

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

14 hours ago, Jwalker19 said:

Something I always loved was the outro on Prostitute with the synth and piano. Really beautiful way to end the album and always gives me that "it's finally fucking finished after all these years" vibe.

Agree with this. It’s a great piece of music.

GNR were sued by a guy called Ulrich Schnauss for a sample GNR used on Riad. When I listened to Ulrich Schnauss music a lot of it is like the outro to prostitute. Worth a listen!

• Like 1