DJ said Bucket didn't fit GNR... pile on in 3. 2. 1

9 minutes ago, Mendez said:

A$hbas probably still just mad that Shackler's Revenge's verse riff was out of his playing ability, so he had to resort to playing simple power chords

(which is why that song always sounded like shit live from the band)

What is played in the versus then? 

21 hours ago, El Guapo said:

What is played in the versus then? 

Live:

Fortus played Bucketheads riff (but was almost always buried in the mix on every song bc he was the rhythm guitarist mainly then)

Bumblefoot played his single note riffing that he did on the album

Asbha plays 2 single notes that are the root note of the progression in a rhythm that isn't present on the album(not power chords like I thought I remembered)

Stinson plays Bucketheads riff on bass, but on regular tuning, not B standard like he did on the album.

And some keyboard player is playing an organ that isn't even on the album recording (playing the background "oohss" that Axl does on the recording)

Edited by Mendez
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

I think that with Bucket and really that whole 2002 era lineup, they really didn't feel like the same band as prior- because they weren't the same band.  But I appreciated that Axl and co. at least had some vision of what they wanted to do and were willing to get a bit weird with it

By the time DJ joined, I felt like GNR were sort of reverting back to a "okay let's just be a rock band again", but unless if you have people like Slash who were the reason why the band rocked, it just feels like a regression instead of a forward vision

I get what DJ is saying about wanting to put the "recklessness" in the band, but trying to emulate the recklessness is not recklessness, it is just the same as an actor playing Nikki Sixx in a Motley Crue Netflix biopic

The idea when Bucket/Fink/Brain were in was that they were a creative entity who were going to carve out their own legacy with a series of original releases.

When the frontman failed to write enough songs, and stopped working on their ideas - instead obsessively going over the same average songs he did actually finish, they all left one by one.

8 hours ago, Blackstar said:

The problem is not that he thinks Buckethead didn't fit GnR. That's just an opinion and one that many other people had as well (a "guy with a bucket on his head" didn't fit what people had known as GnR) while other people had a different opinion.

I agree people were shocked when they saw the new-look GNR at the MTV VMAs. To that point, I had never heard of Buckethead. I didn't know what to make of him or Finck, for that matter. But that llineup ultimately was rad because they weren't trying to mimic what was GNR. They were forging a new GNR with a new sound. Ultimately, we all know that didn't come to fruition, mostly due to the lack of actual new music being released.

The Bumble/Ashba era was a good touring lineup, but it was the most uninspired lead guitarists GNR ever had. Bumble and his guitar god poses and Ashba cosplaying as Slash. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/dj-ashba-says-buckethead-didnt-really-fit-guns-n-roses-he-took-the-coolness-out-of-the-band/

Bucket was whacky as hell, but you got used to him because he could play the material blindfolded! Dj on the other hand looked like a teen goth and struggled to accurately play a lot of the material. I'll take the chicken bucket any day. I do agree with DJ's 'GNR should be a dirty rock band' idea in general... but I think there's room for the more whacky stuff too, especially when you consider what Axl looked like during the Bucket years.

I think there's also an earnestness to Buckethead that's endearing. He's consistently been his own brand of weird while wearing the mask to protect his identity and overcome shyness onstage.

It's also clear he's never cared about the limelight and joined Guns because it legitimately intrigued him.

As you said, once you got over the look you realized he was an amazing guitar player who really wanted to create something new with the band.

• Like 1

Buckethead legitimately gave out a sack full of toys during his guitar solo spot at Madison Square Fucking Garden.  No one else has ever done that, come on! LOL

Earnestness is the word.  Went to see him at BB Kings in Manhattan and he played the entire Willy Wonka film on the screens before going on.  Not to be avant-garde, but, simply because he loves the movie and wanted everyone who came to see him to appreciate it as much as he did.

The whole trip up for him with Guns was new, new, new material.

Talked to people around him, and, although he adored GN'R's back catalog, he apparently wasn't really interested in playing that stuff every night.  I was told by some folks that he was constantly hounding Guns to keep writing new songs and genuinely only ever wanted to play the stuff the CD band wrote live.

Anyway, that's neither here nor there.  In my view, at least Guns was trying to forge a new identity with Buckethead & Finck, as opposed to having an also-ran play dress up and evoke other members.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 3

5 hours ago, Gackt said:

Shut the fuck up and go back into your hole of obscurity, Ashba.  Just go away.  You were nothing in GNR, and you continue to be nothing.

Whilst I am no DJ Ashba defender... chances are he's more minted, gets more poontang, and likely achieved more notoriety than your good self in life! Assuming you don't have writing credits on a Motley Crue album???!!!

OK I'll bite. 

There have been many periods throughout Gnr where the 'coolness' dipped. 

But absolutely none got as momumentally low as when Ashba joined. 

Personally the Bucket era wasn't one of these low points for me, I thought he was interesting, fun, and 'cool'. 

Regardless of guitar ability and musicianship. Seeing as Ashba is only talking about looks (which in itself says so much about him). 

DJ made me cringe, there is literally nothing cool about him, his whole vibe reeks of disingenuity. 

Least bucket was being original and himself, which is more than I can say about Ashba, and is always cooler than be a cardboard cut out like Ashba. 

He reminds me of that Adam Levine guy with his whole bogus vibe, but worse. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Towelie said:

I wouldn't say that's something to brag about, buddy.

Well that's purely subjective really isn't it! I mean I haven't listened to that album in bloody years so can't even remember if it was any good or not. But point remains, very few people here have released multiple albums, toured the world, appeared on TV and earned a fuck a load of dough. So all in DJ Ashba, as cringey as he is, wins!

Also back on the original point... I agree with him. I don't think Buckethead was a good fit for GNR. An Axl solo project... perhaps a better fit. But I remember watching the 2002 MTV VMAs and being fucking horrified by what I saw (and heard). The change was too dramatic and ultimately failed as it didn't last.

There's absolutely no doubting BH's ability and he is outstandingly prolific, but possibly there in lies the problem... he was working with Axl Rose! 

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, 19AT5 said:

Whilst I am no DJ Ashba defender... chances are he's more minted, gets more poontang, and likely achieved more notoriety than your good self in life! Assuming you don't have writing credits on a Motley Crue album???!!!

I don't care about his personal life or "accomplishments", Ashba trying to insult someone far more relevant than himself for cool points only makes him look like an asshole.  Everyone sees through him, he's a waste of time with little to no talent to back his words up.

1 hour ago, Gackt said:

I don't care about his personal life or "accomplishments", Ashba trying to insult someone far more relevant than himself for cool points only makes him look like an asshole.  Everyone sees through him, he's a waste of time with little to no talent to back his words up.

Exactly, what a pointless comment!

You can say that about everything.  Imagine not being able to criticize Sk8r Boy because Avril Levine has sold more records than you.

1 hour ago, Gackt said:

I don't think he did try to insult anybody. Read the interview! Given that Buckethead has cult status at best... DJ Ashba is likely more well known. I'm not particularly a fan of his but my word you seem a little bitter... 

Aside from hard rock fans whose musical diversity amounts to whether to listen to Absurd or Hard School fifty times in a week, or Absurd AND Hard School twenty-five times each, I'm not sure anyone really cares who DJ Ashba is.

The guy has been on a few Nikki Sixx-related records, and co-written a bunch of songs with him.  He deserves credit for those achievements, but, honestly, if he were such a great writer/player, he'd be a highly in-demand studio musician, yet, he's only been on a couple of tracks on one Debbie Gibson record within the past six years.  He's a Sunset Strip also-ran.

The only people who seem to find him cool also think it's fine to shop in Hot Topic after their fifteenth birthday.

Edited by oneway23
  • Like 2