DJ said Bucket didn't fit GNR... pile on in 3. 2. 1

20 hours ago, YOUCOULDBEMINE. said:

I'm still thankful for Buckethead's TWAT solo, the song does nothing for me until his solo starts.

Also, his Nightrain solo was pretty fucking awesome as well.

DJ couldn't bend a note even if his life depended on it. He made Robin's This I Love solo sound generic as hell. Never forgave him for that.

Bucket was a better fit for what Axl wanted to do with CD than Bumblefoot was. I like the guy and he is a good guitarist, but his style is way different.

All true!

I still prefer generic dj's this i love solo over slash noodling anything over this I love. I find it sad that nobody decided to just do robin's perfect solo note for note

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CubanSkies Dummy said:

Coming for someone who is less cool than Pitman. 

Chris Pitman has co-written to of the best Gn'R songs (IfW and Maddy) and also played additional synths on Third Eye from Tool. There is also the Free  Mars album from Lusk. That's better than DJ's complete discography already. 

• Like 1

Bucket is an amazing guitar player but it is true that he didn't fit the image of GNR (nor did Finck early on when he had that whatever-the-fuck-you-call-it haircut).

However the irony here is that the DJ era was even less "cool" than the freak show era.

Edited by -W.A.R-
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

I don't know. There's no doubt Buckethead is a gifted guitarist. But it's hard to take seriously a dude with an upside down KFC bucket on his head. 

How much of Buckethead have you listened to?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, riot said:

All true!

I still prefer generic dj's this i love solo over slash noodling anything over this I love. I find it sad that nobody decided to just do robin's perfect solo note for note

You're right. I kinda blocked the NITL version with Slash's solo, but even he doesn't do the song justice.

Sucks that we never got to hear Robin play it live.

• Like 1

DJ Ashba. Accusing someone of cutting out the cool factor in the band. In other news, a kettle is outraged after a pot mistook its own reflection on the kettle as the kettle’s actual color, and called it black. 

15 hours ago, -W.A.R- said:

Bucket is an amazing guitar player but it is true that he didn't fit the image of GNR (nor did Finck early on when he had that whatever-the-fuck-you-call-it haircut).

However the irony here is that the DJ era was even less "cool" than the freak show era.

The freak show era was at least interesting. The Ashba years were just a sad Vegas dinosaur act.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, riot said:

All true!

Idk, DJ’s TiL solo is the exact thing of his I hated. It wasn’t bad enough he was douchey, the dude just isn’t a good enough lead guitar player. He just played so boring but out of tune and couldn’t hit a bend to save his life. His tone was awful. I literally have nothing nice to say about him as a lead guitarist. 

I remember when we talked about Robin being sloppy, and he was! But it was from a place of passion and style, not inability. And Finck wasn’t some technical marvel, either. Idk. I just never got the Ashba thing and never will.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

I remember when we talked about Robin being sloppy, and he was! But it was from a place of passion and style, not inability. And Finck wasn’t some technical marvel, either. Idk. I just never got the Ashba thing and never will.

Exactly!  Finck was no "technical marvel", as you say, and long-time visitors will remember just how brutally Robin would get trashed around here, especially for his Sweet Child solos, but, damn, he was a unique musician with an original voice, and, that's worth more than a thousand dime-store, knock-off guitarists walking around LA.

• Like 1

Poor old DJ. 

Really not an awful guitar player, but he doesn't make things easy for himself round these parts! 

For what it's worth (nothing) I quite enjoyed him in GNR at the time. I always got the impression he wanted to move stuff on too and try new things. 

The less said about his EDM music the better of course. And he never should have worn that hat onstage! 

DJ's various hot takes continue - I guess he's trying to stay relevant. 

I didn't dislike him in Guns at the time at the beginning to be fair - but then I was a teenager in my defence. I do think he got more grating as time went on though - the infamous Patience solo being an example. Having said that, I don't think his criticism of Bucket really stands in my opinion as his emo stylings also looked really out of place in the band. The bottom line (in my opinion anyway) is that Bucket was the best guitarist GN'R ever had and indeed will ever have (with Ron a close second). His signature look, weird though it is, is eye catching and makes him more like a 'character' a la the guys in KISS. I think that was a positive as Axl needed someone quirky and bold to replace Slash. Plus, his playing is out of this world and his ear for melody in his writing is top notch. It's a real shame that Axl didn't fully appreciate him in the band and actually keep him occupied by getting into a regular band cycle. I do wonder if Bucket would ever have stuck around long term though but yeah, DJ hasn't got a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising Bucket. 

It's also telling that most of the top-tier material from the nuGuns era involves Bucket. I can't see Ashba writing solos on par with his or coming up with something like Shackler's

Edited by BassistSeb
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, BassistSeb said:

DJ's various hot takes continue - I guess he's trying to stay relevant. 

I didn't dislike him in Guns at the time at the beginning to be fair - but then I was a teenager in my defence. I do think he got more grating as time went on though - the infamous Patience solo being an example. Having said that, I don't think his criticism of Bucket really stands in my opinion as his emo stylings also looked really out of place in the band. The bottom line (in my opinion anyway) is that Bucket was the best guitarist GN'R ever had and indeed will ever have (with Ron a close second). His signature look, weird though it is, is eye catching and makes him more like a 'character' a la the guys in KISS. I think that was a positive as Axl needed someone quirky and bold to replace Slash. Plus, his playing is out of this world and his ear for melody in his writing is top notch. It's a real shame that Axl didn't fully appreciate him in the band and actually keep him occupied by getting into a regular band cycle. I do wonder if Bucket would ever have stuck around long term though but yeah, DJ hasn't got a leg to stand on when it comes to criticising Bucket. 

It's also telling that most of the top-tier material from the nuGuns era involves Bucket. I can't see Ashba writing solos on par with his or coming up with something like Shackler's

In hindsight, the NuGuns line up with Buckethead, Robin, Brain and W. Axl Rose had unlimited potential. I would love to have that now, to be honest. 

• Like 3

I have a couple of thoughts on this, but somewhat unrelated.

1) DJ is doing that thing, that Axl hates, when they appear in every given article talking about something that hasn't been relevant for years. It'll be interpreted by Axl and camp as DJ exploiting GN'R's name to promote his own ventures. Whether DJ means that or not, it's how it looks. I don't think any of us truly believe that he was offered to be part of the NITL tour or if he was it was in a bit-part, occasional role. Ultimately he was surplus to requirements.

2) Where has this 'Buckethead is the best guitarist GN'R ever had' come from? He wrote one great solo and appeared with the band like 10 times. He was barely even a member and has had no association with them for two decades. Slash is and will always be, the greatest GN'R guitarist.

Edited by W. Axl Kev
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, W. Axl Kev said:

I have a couple of thoughts on this, but somewhat unrelated.

1) DJ is doing that thing, that Axl hates, when they appear in every given article talking about something that hasn't been relevant for years. It'll be interpreted by Axl and camp as DJ exploiting GN'R's name to promote his own ventures. Whether DJ means that or not, it's how it looks. I don't think any of us truly believe that he was offered to be part of the NITL tour or if he was it was in a bit-part, occasional role. Ultimately he was surplus to requirements.

2) Where has this 'Buckethead is the best guitarist GN'R ever had' come from? He wrote one great solo and appeared with the band like 10 times. He was barely even a member and has had no association with them for two decades. Slash is and will always be, the greatest GN'R guitarist.

You're right on the second part but that's not for lack of trying on Buckethead's part there was just no forward momentum with new music during his time in the band which he was really pushing for. Slash will always be number 1 but Buckethead is kind of a symbol of what a true NuGuns could have been without all the stops and starts.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 8:53 AM, 19AT5 said:

Well that's purely subjective really isn't it! I mean I haven't listened to that album in bloody years so can't even remember if it was any good or not. But point remains, very few people here have released multiple albums, toured the world, appeared on TV and earned a fuck a load of dough. So all in DJ Ashba, as cringey as he is, wins!

Also back on the original point... I agree with him. I don't think Buckethead was a good fit for GNR. An Axl solo project... perhaps a better fit. But I remember watching the 2002 MTV VMAs and being fucking horrified by what I saw (and heard). The change was too dramatic and ultimately failed as it didn't last.

There's absolutely no doubting BH's ability and he is outstandingly prolific, but possibly there in lies the problem... he was working with Axl Rose! 

So DJ "wins" because he toured the world and made a lot of money? Does it not matter a jot that he has no musicality and can't even complete the SCOM guitar solo without a more competant guitar player coming to the rescue handling the trickier bits? There are literally hundreds of YouTube guitarist more competent than Ashba. I guess it depends what you value in life, but as a musician, I don't think the amount of money in Ashba's bank account says anything about whether he "wins."

2 hours ago, Towelie said:

So DJ "wins" because he toured the world and made a lot of money? Does it not matter a jot that he has no musicality and can't even complete the SCOM guitar solo without a more competant guitar player coming to the rescue handling the trickier bits? There are literally hundreds of YouTube guitarist more competent than Ashba. I guess it depends what you value in life, but as a musician, I don't think the amount of money in Ashba's bank account says anything about whether he "wins."

I'm sure he's not giving a flying fuck! 🤣 Let's be honest here... there's nobody talking about us on a public forum. He'll have a pretty good lifestyle, will have a pretty hot woman, and a few coppers in the bank... he lives a life we would likely take in a heartbeat.