gnr documentary after "get back"?

do you think that after the sucess of the beatles documentary "get back", someone will be interested in release the perfect crime documentary?

slash said that a few years ago...

Slash Discusses The Hidden Guns N’ Roses Documentary!
Use Your Illusion

Guns N’ Roses Guitarist Slash Talks “Perfect Crime” Documentary From the 90’s

Guns N’ Roses guitarist Slash talked to Radio Chile and was asked about his thoughts on the new Motley Crue film “The Dirt” and whether he’d like to see a Guns N’ Roses biopic made. He also talked a bit about the unreleased “Perfect Crime” Documentary that was shot during the band’s 2.5 year long “Use Your Illusion Tour.” While it was never released some fans speculate it’s sitting in a vault somewhere. Here’s what Slash had to say about it

Instead, Slash would prefer an officially made documentary that incorporates performances recorded during the Use Your Illusion tour that turned out to be the last trek Slash made with the band until the Not in This Lifetime tour began in 2016.

“I think we have a lot of concert footage from the ’90s in the can — like, 24-7 footage from 1991 to 1994, of just every day on the road with Guns N’ Roses,” he said. “It’s been sitting in a vault for years. And I would love for that to be edited at some point and put out. So we’ll see if that ever happens.”

slash said again in the WSJ interview

For Slash, it all started with an inquiry into video footage of the band’s 2½–year, 194-show “Use Your Illusion” tour—a trove he once called “the holy grail of Guns N’ Roses.”

“I was talking to Guns N’ Roses management about making sure all that stuff was intact,” Slash says. “And then, I’d thrown out the idea, ‘It’d be great to find a producer to put this together’” as 

They would need a major streaming service to pick up the bill so someone could go through the footage and put it together 

The timing obviously would have been great to go with the UYI reissue. That’s not going to happen though 

I guess the question that would hold back any release is what story do they collectively want to tell vs what story does the footage show? I’m sure it’s not pretty for everyone involved at certain points 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Why ? Is there something in it that doesn’t present him in a good light ? The bits of footage we have seen show him to be having fun.

That tour represents Guns as the biggest band in the world. They could easily put out a documentary and then follow up by releasing the shows on a site like nugs. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ShadowOfTheWave said:

I find it difficult to imagine Axl would want this out there.

Agreed, not unless he adds his side of things to some stuff in an added interview from now. There’s no way you can release a UYI documentary and not mention the constant 3 hour lateness and the St Louis and Montreal riots.

Just putting that stuff out there will hurt Axls reputation more than it would help him.

As the years go by this is the GNR thing I find myself wanting to be released the most.  GNR at their biggest and most indulgent with no shortage of crazy dramatic ego filled moments?  Bring it on

15 hours ago, Spirit said:

Is there any info whether this was done on film or video?

If it was done on film, potential is there for a glorious 4K release.

I highly doubt it would be shot on film. Both because of the cost of the film material and because of the need to hire a sound operator next to the DOP. You cannot record sound directly on the film. That would make things much more complicated. So if they say they have 24/7 footage from 3 years, that would make hundreds if not thousands of hours of material. So I am pretty sure most of it is shot on video (with sound directly on the camera), some small bits maybe on 16mm (which is 2K). But definitely not on 35mm. Maybe only a few shows like Ritz '91, which they did record on film because of the YCBM music video as we all know. But I don't think anything off the stage would be shot on 35mm.

1 hour ago, sakuL_ said:

I highly doubt it would be shot on film. Both because of the cost of the film material and because of the need to hire a sound operator next to the DOP. You cannot record sound directly on the film. That would make things much more complicated. So if they say they have 24/7 footage from 3 years, that would make hundreds if not thousands of hours of material. So I am pretty sure most of it is shot on video (with sound directly on the camera), some small bits maybe on 16mm (which is 2K). But definitely not on 35mm. Maybe only a few shows like Ritz '91, which they did record on film because of the YCBM music video as we all know. But I don't think anything off the stage would be shot on 35mm.

It was all shot on 35mm film, intended to be released in cinemas. There are plenty of shots of the film crew in old MTV reports.

18 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Agreed, not unless he adds his side of things to some stuff in an added interview from now. There’s no way you can release a UYI documentary and not mention the constant 3 hour lateness and the St Louis and Montreal riots.

Just putting that stuff out there will hurt Axls reputation more than it would help him.

The 3 hour lateness and riots are old news for all real gnr fans. I don’t think your average casual fan would buy this. There is no reason to hide the lateness and riots and or exclude them and or spin a narrative on them. For a band to have hundreds of hours I’m sure the 2-3 hours it would be narrowed down too, the band could shine a positive light on that tour.  Sure, you’re not going to see footage of Slash snorting  Coke or Axl berating Doug in his hotel room

Edited by ryanf23

3 hours ago, eggers said:

It was all shot on 35mm film, intended to be released in cinemas. There are plenty of shots of the film crew in old MTV reports.

Really? I know we cannot send links, but can you navigate me for one of those videos? (perhaps PM)

8 hours ago, ryanf23 said:

The 3 hour lateness and riots are old news for all real gnr fans. I don’t think your average casual fan would buy this. There is no reason to hide the lateness and riots and or exclude them and or spin a narrative on them. For a band to have hundreds of hours I’m sure the 2-3 hours it would be narrowed down too, the band could shine a positive light on that tour.  Sure, you’re not going to see footage of Slash snorting  Coke or Axl berating Doug in his hotel room

What do you mean "buy this",  it would most definitely be on a streaming service just like the Beatles doc so anyone can check it out and become a fan.

Also Slash snorting coke and Axl confronting Kurt Cobain at the 92 VMAs which the crew also filmed, is exactly the thing I want to see, that's the exciting part is it not? No reason to spin a "positive" narrative on the truth either.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

This would be a sensational watch….given to the right person to edit/direct it could be absolutely brilliant and immediately would be a great advertisement for a UYI set/new release.

A lot of people forget during the UYI run GNR were breaking records all over the place and really were the biggest band in the world - who wouldn’t want to see footage of that!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What do you mean "buy this",  it would most definitely be on a streaming service just like the Beatles doc so anyone can check it out and become a fan.

Also Slash snorting coke and Axl confronting Kurt Cobain at the 92 VMAs which the crew also filmed, is exactly the thing I want to see, that's the exciting part is it not? No reason to spin a "positive" narrative on the truth either.

I want to see that stuff too and I don’t need a postive spin. I guess I misinterpreted what you were saying about Axl wanting his reputation not getting hurt lol. Axl doesn’t have to worry about his reputation when they can edit the footage any way they want 

and yes “buy”… have you seen the shit they try and make a buck on? You don’t think they would sell this as well? Lol if they’ll sell you a toy train or a kids book than I promise you they will sell you live footage 

Edited by ryanf23

Get Back was very transparent and honest. GnR are the opposite. They’d never let the real footage of themselves out.

Unless it was done by a third party, with no interference from the band members (like Get Back) it wouldn’t be the same. 

• GNFNR 1