GN'R mention in new Eddie Vedder interview

52 minutes ago, MaskingApathy said:

Eddie mentioned the MC thing again from the stage at his last show so I guess he's still hung up over Nikki's comment.

Probably just him taking the piss out of the whole thing as opposed to hung up - from someome on the Ten Club Forum who was at the show: 

"And Ed joked indirectly about the Motely Crue thing saying Chad's kit stays right where it is, it doesn't need to flip around to be cool (or something like that) to laughs. "

No biggie, having some fun with it.  Just like when Mick Jagger had some fun with Paul McCartney's "cover band" comment during a Stones show

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, mystery said:

Some people get weirdly defensive over Guns N' Roses here. Pearl Jam isn't a hard rock/heavy metal band but their best music hits deep, especially live. It's funny because Axl was in to them in the mid-90s when trying to make a new album with the old band. He also hired Dave Abbruzzese briefly as a member in 1997.

I would consider them a hard rock band. Not so much heavy metal, except for maybe a few influences here and there. If they're not hard rock, then I'm not sure what else to call them. And don't say ''grunge'', because that's not really a music genre.

And I don't blame Axl for hiring Dave Abbruzzese. I think he might have been Pearl Jam's best drummer. It's a shame they got rid of him.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, EvanG said:

I would consider them a hard rock band. Not so much heavy metal, except for maybe a few influences here and there. If they're not hard rock, then I'm not sure what else to call them. And don't say ''grunge'', because that's not really a music genre.

And I don't blame Axl for hiring Dave Abbruzzese. I think he might have been Pearl Jam's best drummer. It's a shame they got rid of him.

I'd just classify PJ as standard rock with punk and 70's rock influences. There was a thread here with Dave talking about his time in the band and how Axl wanted to make him musical director. It was Dave who backed out of the whole thing.

11 hours ago, EvanG said:

He's easily my favorite PJ drummer, but Vedder turned into a dictator at that time and booted him. As a huge Soundgarden fan, Matt Cameron is one of my favorite drummers ever, but has been completely neutered in PJ.

Edited by GoBucky
  • Like 1

They did Dave dirty with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing. He absolutely deserved to be inducted with the band. I think most of the band just didn't like him after a while as his personal views and lifestyle clashed with the rest of them. Eddie was undoubtedly difficult to work with in that era with the peak being the No Code sessions where some members of the band considered quitting. Things got better by the time they recorded Yield.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, mystery said:

I'd just classify PJ as standard rock with punk and 70's rock influences. 

Sure, rock or hard rock. They have some rather ''hard rocking'' songs, so I would qualify that as hard rock. 

17 minutes ago, GoBucky said:

He's easily my favorite PJ drummer, but Vedder turned into a dictator at that time and didn't booted him. As a huge Soundgarden fan, Matt Cameron is one of my favorite drummer ever, but has been completely neutered in PJ.

I read that he was kinda into the rockstar thing, and the rest of the band was pretty anti-rockstar at the time, and that is why he was kicked out. And I agree, I think Matt Cameron is a good drummer, but not in Pearl Jam.

Pearl Jam was fine with Jack Irons but he left the band in early 1998 after Yield was recorded and during the first leg of that tour because he was tired of touring. Matt Cameron was available since Soundgarden broke up in 1997 and he's been with them ever since. When Soundgarden came back they took a secondary role to Pearl Jam.

5 hours ago, mystery said:

They did Dave dirty with the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame thing. He absolutely deserved to be inducted with the band. I think most of the band just didn't like him after a while as his personal views and lifestyle clashed with the rest of them. Eddie was undoubtedly difficult to work with in that era with the peak being the No Code sessions where some members of the band considered quitting. Things got better by the time they recorded Yield.

Dave was an absolute beast of a drummer with them, and he is one of the reasons why I think Vs. is one of my favorite albums from 90s PJ for sure!  Matt Cameron is no slouch though and I always felt like he fit the style that PJ went in for the 21st century and is amazing live with the band too. 

I am glad Eddie at least gave Dave a specific namecheck during the ceremony, even if the rock hall themselves dropped the ball on his well deserved induction with the band

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WhazUp said:

Dave was an absolute beast of a drummer with them, and he is one of the reasons why I think Vs. is one of my favorite albums from 90s PJ for sure!  Matt Cameron is no slouch though and I always felt like he fit the style that PJ went in for the 21st century and is amazing live with the band too. 

I am glad Eddie at least gave Dave a specific namecheck during the ceremony, even if the rock hall themselves dropped the ball on his well deserved induction with the band

The year before in 2016 Pearl Jam performed Angel which is a song I think was primarily written by Dave and gave him a shout out. It's a pretty rare live song by them so it was cool to see.

I just don't get how the guy who was their drummer through their biggest peak in success and played during their heaviest period of touring was left out of that induction. 

• Like 1

On 2/9/2022 at 11:33 AM, mystery said:

It's up to the HOF who gets in. It's crazy that Josh Klinghoffer was inducted with the RHCP after one forgettable album, yet Dave Abbruzzese wasn't inducted with Pearl Jam. 

2 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

It's up to the HOF who gets in. It's crazy that Josh Klinghoffer was inducted with the RHCP after one forgettable album, yet Dave Abbruzzese wasn't inducted with Pearl Jam. 

I think Rob Trujillo was inducted with Metallica in April 2009 after really only being with them for 5 years at that point and only just having released his first album with them (Death Magnetic) a few months before.

5 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

Thats bullshit. If  Almighty Eddie, the darling of Rolling Stone wanted Dave on the ceremony whe would have had it.

The hi on the ceremony was one more of his pr stunts

Which he is a master of 

10 hours ago, Beto 22 said:

Thats bullshit. If  Almighty Eddie, the darling of Rolling Stone wanted Dave on the ceremony whe would have had it.

The hi on the ceremony was one more of his pr stunts

Which he is a master of 

The R&R HOF as opposed to the bands inducted from them, chooses who gets inducted separately of the band, from what I can surmise from how how it works

Edited by WhazUp

2 minutes ago, Beto 22 said:

Not entirely... But  to say that memberd don't have a say on the nominees is naivety

I don't know how much Pearl Jam had a say with the RRHOF in regards to a drummer who only has 5 actual song credits with the band officially with the released albums he was on (Go, Last Exit, Pry To, WMA, Aye Davanita) having only 3 of them be "actual songs" (2 of them bring 1 minute sound collages)

Don't get me wrong Dave was an excellent drummer and I dig his work with PJ from his live tenure with them, however I don't know if he contributes enough for the HOF itself to consider him a piece of the band essential enough to include from a songwriting standpoint

• Like 1

Pearl Jam have always had a Spinal Tap like drummer situation until they settled on Cameron.  They joked about it in their official documentary.  But the sad thing is, Abbruzeese's talent was no joke.  He just happened to get fired cause Eddie didn't like him.  Simple as that.  Eddie was, is, and always will be the face of the band.  Look at all the dozens of side projects all the members of PJ have done over the years that almost nobody gave a shit about.  Without Eddie, they're nothing....he realized that early on, and has ruled the band like a tyrant ever since.  (Not unlike Axl.)

I'm not a musician so I don't tend to notice when certain players are exceptional, but man.....go back and listen to WMA if you haven't heard it in a while.  That fucking groove is insane, and it's 100% Abbruzeese.  What a masterful rhythm he came up with.  Too bad it got all shit upon with Eddie's banal white guilt lyrics. 

There's good things and bad things about Eddie and Pearl Jam.

They put on one hell of a show, every night, every time they take the stage.  No exceptions.  They make sure the crowd gets what they paid for.  They change the setlist every night.   They make sure to play deep cuts.   They are part of the trend where they'll sometimes play an entire album straight through, just for the hell of it, without announcing it, just as something special for the crowd.  They are the opposite of GNR in every possible way when it comes to putting on a memorable, unique show every single night.  If you've never seen them and you get a chance:  GO.  Just go!  They have been touring less and less over the last 10 years so your opportunities are slimmer, so do not hesitate to see them if they ever come back to a town near you.

But let's not pretend that they're not shrewd.  The fans they are so courteous to, they also know how to take advantage of.  They sell shamelessly overpriced and limited edition boxed sets and merch and posters cause they know their fans are addicts and will buy it ALL.  Yes, they are good to their fans.  But let's not pretend it's completely out of the kindness of their hearts.  These guys are sharks when it comes to merchandising.  They got out from under their label so they can reap 100% of all the profits from their music, their merch, and their tickets which were at one point reasonably priced if you were lucky enough to get one, but now are as ridiculously expensive as all the other bands.

Eddie and the rest of them have really rode that wave of goodwill and their "good guy" image of crusaders standing up for the little guy still holds up today, but these guys are worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I don't hate the band at all; I was a huge, HUGE fan for a long time.  I was lucky enough to see them live several times in their prime years, from 1994-2003.  As I got older though, I realized that a lot of the bullshit they SAID didn't line up with the greedy shit they DID, and that kind of got to me after a while.  Not to mention they haven't put out a solid record in about 20 years.  But hey, at least they TRY, unlike some bands.

tl;dr.......go listen to WMA and just appreciate the fucking drums on that track.  Killer groove.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, WhazUp said:

I don't know how much Pearl Jam had a say with the RRHOF in regards to a drummer who only has 5 actual song credits with the band officially with the released albums he was on (Go, Last Exit, Pry To, WMA, Aye Davanita) having only 3 of them be "actual songs" (2 of them bring 1 minute sound collages)

Don't get me wrong Dave was an excellent drummer and I dig his work with PJ from his live tenure with them, however I don't know if he contributes enough for the HOF itself to consider him a piece of the band essential enough to include from a songwriting standpoint

Matt Sorum doesn't have any song credits on gnr and it's on the Hall Of Fame, Trujillo is on the Hall Of Fame...

Dave Krusen was inducted and was in the band for less than a year ...

10 hours ago, WhazUp said:

How many song credits does Krusen have? 

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, GoBucky said:

Duff played a song with Vedder and his band in Seattle last night. 

https://www.blabbermouth.net/news/watch-duff-mckagan-joins-eddie-vedder-on-stage-in-seattle-to-perform-cover-of-the-pretenders-precious/

On 2/12/2022 at 9:42 AM, Beto 22 said:

Matt Sorum doesn't have any song credits on gnr and it's on the Hall Of Fame

Matt pulled some strings with ppl he knew to get in, he talks about it in his book.

• Thanks 1