GN'R mention in new Eddie Vedder interview

On 2/12/2022 at 3:00 AM, estrangedtwat said:

Pearl Jam have always had a Spinal Tap like drummer situation until they settled on Cameron.  They joked about it in their official documentary.  But the sad thing is, Abbruzeese's talent was no joke.  He just happened to get fired cause Eddie didn't like him.  Simple as that.  Eddie was, is, and always will be the face of the band.  Look at all the dozens of side projects all the members of PJ have done over the years that almost nobody gave a shit about.  Without Eddie, they're nothing....he realized that early on, and has ruled the band like a tyrant ever since.  (Not unlike Axl.)

I'm not a musician so I don't tend to notice when certain players are exceptional, but man.....go back and listen to WMA if you haven't heard it in a while.  That fucking groove is insane, and it's 100% Abbruzeese.  What a masterful rhythm he came up with.  Too bad it got all shit upon with Eddie's banal white guilt lyrics. 

There's good things and bad things about Eddie and Pearl Jam.

They put on one hell of a show, every night, every time they take the stage.  No exceptions.  They make sure the crowd gets what they paid for.  They change the setlist every night.   They make sure to play deep cuts.   They are part of the trend where they'll sometimes play an entire album straight through, just for the hell of it, without announcing it, just as something special for the crowd.  They are the opposite of GNR in every possible way when it comes to putting on a memorable, unique show every single night.  If you've never seen them and you get a chance:  GO.  Just go!  They have been touring less and less over the last 10 years so your opportunities are slimmer, so do not hesitate to see them if they ever come back to a town near you.

But let's not pretend that they're not shrewd.  The fans they are so courteous to, they also know how to take advantage of.  They sell shamelessly overpriced and limited edition boxed sets and merch and posters cause they know their fans are addicts and will buy it ALL.  Yes, they are good to their fans.  But let's not pretend it's completely out of the kindness of their hearts.  These guys are sharks when it comes to merchandising.  They got out from under their label so they can reap 100% of all the profits from their music, their merch, and their tickets which were at one point reasonably priced if you were lucky enough to get one, but now are as ridiculously expensive as all the other bands.

Eddie and the rest of them have really rode that wave of goodwill and their "good guy" image of crusaders standing up for the little guy still holds up today, but these guys are worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

I don't hate the band at all; I was a huge, HUGE fan for a long time.  I was lucky enough to see them live several times in their prime years, from 1994-2003.  As I got older though, I realized that a lot of the bullshit they SAID didn't line up with the greedy shit they DID, and that kind of got to me after a while.  Not to mention they haven't put out a solid record in about 20 years.  But hey, at least they TRY, unlike some bands.

tl;dr.......go listen to WMA and just appreciate the fucking drums on that track.  Killer groove.

I've been a big fan of Pearl Jam's music but don't know a ton about their financial dealings. One thing I've read about from fans on their official forum is the dissatisfaction with their Ten Club and how some years have had the exclusive single arrive months late or the band just doesn't record one.

The stuff you describe is just the reality of big bands, Guns included. I've heard the same complaints about ticket prices on the NITL Tour yet people still go. The overpriced merch and boxsets sound an awful lot like Guns as well.

It's also been documented by the band themselves that Eddie took control of the band after the Ten Tour. It's easy to see just through interviews that Eddie was way too uptight and serious compared to 1991-92. The tension reached it's peak when they recorded No Code to the point some members wanted out but things got more collaborative from Yield on.

34 minutes ago, mystery said:

I've been a big fan of Pearl Jam's music but don't know a ton about their financial dealings. One thing I've read about from fans on their official forum is the dissatisfaction with their Ten Club and how some years have had the exclusive single arrive months late or the band just doesn't record one.

The stuff you describe is just the reality of big bands, Guns included. I've heard the same complaints about ticket prices on the NITL Tour yet people still go. The overpriced merch and boxsets sound an awful lot like Guns as well.

It's also been documented by the band themselves that Eddie took control of the band after the Ten Tour. It's easy to see just through interviews that Eddie was way too uptight and serious compared to 1991-92. The tension reached it's peak when they recorded No Code to the point some members wanted out but things got more collaborative from Yield on.

There is definitely two camps in Pearl Jam, the band and then Eddie... well that's how it comes across in the press. Don't get me wrong I don't think they hate each other or anything but I seems like a balancing act of appeasement in order to get stuff done. It is very much like GNR. Eddies solo album is a bit of a miss for me too. haven't liked much from them since Backspacer. I give them full credit for their shows though and for still taking musical risks. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

There is definitely two camps in Pearl Jam, the band and then Eddie... well that's how it comes across in the press. Don't get me wrong I don't think they hate each other or anything but I seems like a balancing act of appeasement in order to get stuff done. It is very much like GNR. Eddies solo album is a bit of a miss for me too. haven't liked much from them since Backspacer. I give them full credit for their shows though and for still taking musical risks. 

I think it was that way in the mid 90's when Eddie took over creatively speaking, that's why Neil Young took the band under his wing and made a record with them without Eddie, to encourage them to keep up with Eddie, but since Yield it has been more a band effort again.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think it was that way in the mid 90's when Eddie took over creatively speaking, that's why Neil Young took the band under his wing and made a record with them without Eddie, to encourage them to keep up with Eddie, but since Yield it has been more a band effort again.

I don't really follow them, I just read a couple of more recent interviews with Stone etc. And while he definitely didn't bad mouth anyone it was clear enough that with so many solo projects there has to be some internal rot.

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I don't really follow them, I just read a couple of more recent interviews with Stone etc. And while he definitely didn't bad mouth anyone it was clear enough that with so many solo projects there has to be some internal rot.

They all contribute to the music. They've been like GnR in that regard where everyone is a songwriter, maybe one person contributes more than the other, but that can differ on each record. 

14 minutes ago, EvanG said:

They all contribute to the music. They've been like GnR in that regard where everyone is a songwriter, maybe one person contributes more than the other, but that can differ on each record. 

Honestly, I don't really care enough about PJ to say anything to dispute this, it was just the feeling I got with the interview... An interview which could have been misquoted or anything.

On 2/23/2022 at 2:32 PM, EvanG said:

This has been true since the beginning as well. Stone and Jeff were already part of an established band on the verge of breaking out before Pearl Jam. With Ten a lot of the music was recorded as instrumentals before Eddie joined.

I kind of wish there was more crossover between Guns and PJ. I wonder if they might have been a better opener during the UYI tour than Faith No More who hated the experience? Plus they'd be on tour with Soundgarden who they were pretty close with.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just bumping this cause PJ have announced their first real US tour in fucking forever.

If you're even a remotely casual fan that likes these guys and has never seen them live, I can't stress enough what a killer show they put on.  Do yourself a favor and go see them, cause just like with any band, you never know when it will be your last chance.

On 2/26/2022 at 6:12 AM, mystery said:

This has been true since the beginning as well. Stone and Jeff were already part of an established band on the verge of breaking out before Pearl Jam. With Ten a lot of the music was recorded as instrumentals before Eddie joined.

I kind of wish there was more crossover between Guns and PJ. I wonder if they might have been a better opener during the UYI tour than Faith No More who hated the experience? Plus they'd be on tour with Soundgarden who they were pretty close with.

They opened for RHCP for a long time on their BSSM tour but that was in 1990 and 1991. I think PJ were bigger than FnM and Soundgarden by 1992 and UYI tour so I don't know if they'd accept it 

1 hour ago, Nicklord said:

They opened for RHCP for a long time on their BSSM tour but that was in 1990 and 1991. I think PJ were bigger than FnM and Soundgarden by 1992 and UYI tour so I don't know if they'd accept it 

I dont think there were a PJ as we know in 1990 and BSSM was released one week after UYI.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Nicklord said:

Pearl Jam in 91-92 were about on par with Nirvana who Axl originally wanted. They made a wise decision regardless. 

1 hour ago, mystery said:

Pearl Jam in 91-92 were about on par with Nirvana who Axl originally wanted. They made a wise decision regardless. 

I think that around the time of the tour Nirvana was a lot more popular than Pearl Jam. Ten and Nevermind were released at around the same time in 1991 but Ten didn't really become huge until later in 1992 while Nevermind hit it big in late 1991. Then by 1993 both bands released another album at the same time and Pearl Jam had surpassed Nirvana in popularity.

Edited by EvanG

3 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I think that around the time of the tour Nirvana was a lot more popular than Pearl Jam. Ten and Nevermind were released at around the same time in 1991 but Ten didn't really become huge until later in 1992 while Nevermind hit it big in late 1991. Then by 1993 both bands released another album at the same time and Pearl Jam had surpassed Nirvana in popularity.

I think for both bands at that point it was best they had their own tours even if they weren't as big as touring with Guns N' Roses. They both needed to spread their wings a bit. Soundgarden and Faith No More were a bit different as they were veteran bands that weren't on such a meteoric rise as Nirvana/PJ. 

1 minute ago, mystery said:

I think for both bands at that point it was best they had their own tours even if they weren't as big as touring with Guns N' Roses. They both needed to spread their wings a bit. Soundgarden and Faith No More were a bit different as they were veteran bands that weren't on such a meteoric rise as Nirvana/PJ. 

Yeah, I think so, and it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway. They were so anti-rockstar and against everything (they thought) GnR was all about. They were always supporting feminism and such, they would have despised the whole ''camera looking for hot women in the audience to invite backstage'' trip GnR were doing at the time.

• Like 1

Just now, EvanG said:

Yeah, I think so, and it probably wouldn't have worked out anyway. They were so anti-rockstar and against everything (they thought) GnR was all about. They were always supporting feminism and such, they would have despised the whole ''camera looking for hot women in the audience to invite backstage'' trip GnR were doing at the time.

Faith No More was the same way and hated the experience and after parties they saw as excess. I guess they didn't fully know what they were getting into. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, mystery said:

Faith No More was the same way and hated the experience and after parties they saw as excess. I guess they didn't fully know what they were getting into. 

But they were still okay with cashing their checks and playing to much larger crowds than they would have otherwise played on their own. 

• Like 3

Faith No More just felt like an odd fit for stadium shows especially supporting Angel Dust which isn't fit for that kind of setting and moved away from the funk metal they were doing. Soundgarden was a better fit with Badmotorfinger which was straight up hard rock/metal and aligned them closer to Metallica.

It's rubbed me the wrong way the past few years that FNM acts like Guns weren't doing them a huge favor with that slot.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RichardNixon said:

But they were still okay with cashing their checks and playing to much larger crowds than they would have otherwise played on their own. 

To be fair, they had to have signed a contract to play designated dates before going on tour and potentially agreeing or disagreeing with what happened during said tour