Question: Hard Skool EP - Live Tracks

• 2 months later...

I tried to get to the bottom about this earlier today, I've only checked for Don't Cry though. Out of the 16 shows that they played Don't Cry at in 2021, 15 are available in some way, shape or form on Youtube. None of those 15 are a perfect match for the Hard Skool version.

The closest I think is the 2021-09-12 show in Atlantic City but it's still not a 100% match, although no version of Don't Cry from the 2021-09-11 show (also in Atlantic City) is available online so there's a possibility that it could be a recording from that show. Let's not rule out the possibility that it also could be a recording from an earlier year and/or a soundcheck with added crowd noise (a la Kiss). 

When I get more time on my hands I will do the same with You're Crazy. Since it's only been played 27 times since the reunion odds are it's easier to find from what show that track is recorded from.

• Like 2

On 2/22/2022 at 3:19 AM, jackparker123 said:

I assumed bootleg aficionados would have got to the bottom of this weeks ago.

Speaking of bootlegs, has there ever been anyone who's put together the unaltered  real Live Era record? And if so, how can I go about getting my hands on it? I own the official release, but I can't stand listening to it due to all the tinkering and added nonsense.

Edited by Nintari

7 hours ago, Swedish said:

The source show for Don't Cry has been found!! rock3

@We love Axl Rose helped me find a video of Don't Cry from the 2021-09-11 show (first night in Atlantic City) and it's a perfect match for the version of Don't Cry that's on the Hard Skool CD and cassette single!

The source for Absurd and You're Crazy is still a mystery though, Absurd from the first Atlantic City show isn't a match with the version on the 7" Hard Skool single and I haven't found a recording of You're Crazy from that show yet.

Good stuff. 👍

They could have been helpful and added the details to the packaging like most bands do. 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swedish said:

The source show for Don't Cry has been found!! rock3

@We love Axl Rose helped me find a video of Don't Cry from the 2021-09-11 show (first night in Atlantic City) and it's a perfect match for the version of Don't Cry that's on the Hard Skool CD and cassette single!

The source for Absurd and You're Crazy is still a mystery though, Absurd from the first Atlantic City show isn't a match with the version on the 7" Hard Skool single and I haven't found a recording of You're Crazy from that show yet.

What about Shadow Of Your Love?

1 hour ago, Nintari said:

Speaking of bootlegs, has there ever been anyone who's put together the unaltered  real Live Era record? And if so, how can I go about getting my hands on it? I own the official release, but I can't stand listening to it due to all the tinkering and added nonsense.

There is an fan-compiled "Live Era Unmastered", but it lacks of the Coma version that comes as a bonus track on the Japanese release.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Swedish said:

I would love to do that as well but, correct me if I'm wrong, the Nightrain exclusive 7" hasn't been released yet?

Not released yet. Their official website says.... "** Packages will begin shipping in June 2022 "

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 5/13/2022 at 12:16 AM, Inamible said:

There is an fan-compiled "Live Era Unmastered", but it lacks of the Coma version that comes as a bonus track on the Japanese release.

Yes but it's not a perfect match for the released Live Era if I'm not mistaken.

As a sidenote, I believe Coma is the sole track which was not overly remixed and overdubbed - pretty much straight from the board/in house mix. Probably precisely because it's only a bonus track.

Edited by EvH

1 hour ago, Swedish said:

I'm sorry to bump an old thread but I've been trying to figure out these live tracks and have compared the Hard Skool EP's live version to every available version of these tracks from the 2021 leg via bootleg recordings and Youtube. Thanks to that I can confirm that the  Shadow of Your Love that's on the Nightrain exclusive 7" is recorded from the 2021-09-26 show in Baltimore. 

I don't know how it sounds on the 7'', but from the videos I've watched SOYL in Baltimore was the best of 2021.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

I don't know how it sounds on the 7'', but from the videos I've watched SOYL in Baltimore was the best of 2021.

I think it sounds pretty good as well! It wasn't as good as 2018 and 2019 but it sounds good with a powerful cleaner voice.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Swedish said:

I'm sorry to bump an old thread but I've been trying to figure out these live tracks and have compared the Hard Skool EP's live version to every available version of these tracks from the 2021 leg via bootleg recordings and Youtube. Thanks to that I can confirm that the  Shadow of Your Love that's on the Nightrain exclusive 7" is recorded from the 2021-09-26 show in Baltimore. rock3

However You're Crazy and Absurd doesn't seem to be a match with any available live version currently out there on bootleg recordings or Youtube. My guess is that they would be from one of the two Atlantic City nights since that's where Don't Cry is taken from. However, apart from Don't Cry, only Absurd exists from the first night (it was not a match) and neither Absurd nor You're Crazy exists, as far as I can tell, from the second night so I can't be 100% sure. 

Hopefully more footage surfaces so this case can be closed, I know a lot of you might not be as interested as me about this but it's been bothering me ever since the single was released that we aren't sure from what shows those live tracks are from. :)

90% that Absurd and You're Crazy are from Atlantic City shows like Don't Cry. Now it's just a question whether it's only from the first show or also from the second show.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Coma16 said:

I thought russ said the fanclub version was a 12". It must sound like shit if they were able to magically cram it into a 7" ;)

It plays at the wrong speed, Hardschool is a few seconds shorter on the Nightrain vinyl. :lol:

You'd think for $45 or whatever the cheapest Nightrain package is, they could at least press some 10" records...

14 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

It plays at the wrong speed, Hardschool is a few seconds shorter on the Nightrain vinyl. :lol:

You'd think for $45 or whatever the cheapest Nightrain package is, they could at least press some 10" records...

Complaints complaints complaints 😅 

• Haha 2

On 7/22/2022 at 11:08 AM, Swedish said:

I'm sorry to bump an old thread but I've been trying to figure out these live tracks and have compared the Hard Skool EP's live version to every available version of these tracks from the 2021 leg via bootleg recordings and Youtube. Thanks to that I can confirm that the  Shadow of Your Love that's on the Nightrain exclusive 7" is recorded from the 2021-09-26 show in Baltimore. rock3

However You're Crazy and Absurd doesn't seem to be a match with any available live version currently out there on bootleg recordings or Youtube. My guess is that they would be from one of the two Atlantic City nights since that's where Don't Cry is taken from. However, apart from Don't Cry, only Absurd exists from the first night (it was not a match) and neither Absurd nor You're Crazy exists, as far as I can tell, from the second night so I can't be 100% sure. 

Hopefully more footage surfaces so this case can be closed, I know a lot of you might not be as interested as me about this but it's been bothering me ever since the single was released that we aren't sure from what shows those live tracks are from. :)

I was pretty curious.....but wasn't going to go the lengths you clearly have! Impressive work! 

• Thanks 1