ABSUЯD does hit the nail on the head....

I like Absurd overall, funnily enough maybe even more than Hard School which is the complete opposite of how I felt with the Village Sessions.  I think that the mix of Absurd is more well done and it keeps the energy of the rocking higher as opposed to HS where the drums and mix sort of don't capture the energy of the section changes in the song as well

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sweersa said:

I remember joking about how the current lineup would release Silkworms as a first single. 

I would have never believed it, before seeing it was so. :D

I think I was in denial about Absurd being Silkworms when it appeared on the setlist too despite it being pretty evident - I just couldn't think of it being done by this band, but there you go!

• Haha 1

"Absurd" sounds good live. And I really like the guitars and bass on it. Had this song come out on a full record, I don't think people would have disparaged it.  But because it was the first release of this current lineup, and such a radical departure from what most expected, people are overly critical. I liked it from jump though. I couldn't believe GNR surprise dropped it, and I had it on repeat for a couple hours that night.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Shacklers Absolution said:

Absurd is better than the completely destroyed reunion Hard Skööl.

I wonder what more the reunion line up will destroy

23 minutes ago, Mendez said:

well, yeah thats exactly what they want

I have to admit that Hard Skool is really cheesy; it's like saying to the fans "Well here's an AFD-type song, only it won't have any energy or emotion to it". It just glides from A to B.

A band's aura naturally changes as they grows older; they will always have a different energy & putting out songs that appropriately fit that will keep them relevant for as long as they can do so. Once they start living off their past, releasing the same old songs only without capturing the same feel, the true fans will feel ripped-off & will see the band as an outdated, cheesy, irrelevant act that has nothing new or inspiring to offer & will move on. 

Edited by Screamin' Demon

On 2/9/2022 at 6:34 AM, Screamin' Demon said:

I think that ABSUЯD really does hit the nail on the head. The energy, the rage, the craziness & hyperactivity, it all really rocks unusually hard. Yes many people will say "Awwww this ain't GN'R" but....do they just want something that mirrors the AFD & UYI way forever? With GN'R if we get music, it'll be very diverse & unconventional for sure. That should be the fun part. Back to ABSUЯD, the song is really angry, energetic, crazy....so if you want that kind of song from GN'R that rocks real hard, you've got it :headbang:! Doesn't mean it'll be pure 80s rock...

I think you were hit in the head too😜

Very few people are saying "release a song that sounds exactly like the 80s". The problem I and lot of others have with Absurd is that the song has atrocious vocals, and the lyrics are shocking. If Axl had sang even remotely normal that song as it is today could have been quite good... As it is now, it's shite.

Yes it's crazy and different and energetic. But it lacks the essential ingredient of a good vocal. And yes... Some people might enjoy the vocal style in the song but from what I can tell 90% of people who have heard it really, really don't like it. And it's nothing to do with it not being an AFD/UYI clone.

On 2/9/2022 at 4:39 PM, AxlRoseCDII said:

I think Absurd was a great release. A defiance of what you would expect from a GNR reunion single. The fact it confused or made so many people angry is something I find pretty funny, shows the band has a sense of humor. On top of that I just think while it’s not the strongest, it’s still a great and unique song idea.

Defiance yeah I kinda agree. Punk, sure! but aren't they supposed to want people to enjoy their music? You can have a sense of humour when you deliver. Gnr didn't deliver with Absurd or HardSkool. Bad and bang average, interesting to see if they can improve their odds from there! I really hope they have at least a handful of songs that I don't have to make myself enjoy (which I haven't managed with either absurd or HS). Hardskool is more accepted by the general fanbase, but it made absolutely no impact really because A) it's not great B) they shit the bed so bad with Absurd C) they didn't even try to promote it

2 hours ago, Screamin' Demon said:

I have to admit that Hard Skool is really cheesy; it's like saying to the fans "Well here's an AFD-type song, only it won't have any energy or emotion to it". It just glides from A to B.

A band's aura naturally changes as they grows older; they will always have a different energy & putting out songs that appropriately fit that will keep them relevant for as long as they can do so. Once they start living off their past, releasing the same old songs only without capturing the same feel, the true fans will feel ripped-off & will see the band as an outdated, cheesy, irrelevant act that has nothing new or inspiring to offer & will move on. 

I have to respectfully disagree with you. I'm a true fan and have been  since 1987. I love Hard Skool. I think it's a good rocker. You may want to just speak for yourself rather than saying "true" fans  will feel ripped off. 

• Like 3