Who could produce a live sound GnR album?

Just reading some of the response to Slash's new solo album and after one listen myself, the support for the 'live sound' is unanimous.

Do you think Guns should do the new album live?

Slash cut the album with Dave Cobb in Nashville who would be the perfect producer to get that live sound.

Who would you like to see produce the new album? Do you think it should be cut live? Should Dave Cobb be hired?

I don't really care about the approach, live or more analytic piece by piece. I'd just want a band that knows the music inside and out / or just a fired up band and a producer that isn't afraid to say when things aren't working. 

I'd love to hear a Bob Rock produced GNR album. I think the band would respect him because of his obvious accolades. He's an engineer and producer and always gets incredible tones, and he pushes the performer out of their comfort zone to get great performances. Recording without someone you're comfortable with might yield good results sometimes, but most of the time it's better if you're trying to impress.

Nick Raskulinecz is also a great producer who almost becomes the other member of the band without putting his sound on the album. He takes the essence of the what's great about a band and reminds the band 'this is what you do best, do this'. 

I don't know though, I feel like GNR are about as lost now in direction as they were in the mid 90s 'do we recreate an AFD sound, do we do something completely new' I think a confident producer would be the way to go. 

Beside the point though, they are working with Caram and I don't really foresee a follow up record after all the current batch of songs get released... And IF they made a follow up, Axl would probably stick with Caram.

• Like 1

Just now, Tom2112 said:

I don't really care about the approach, live or more analytic piece by piece. I'd just want a band that knows the music inside and out / or just a fired up band and a producer that isn't afraid to say when things aren't working. 

I'd love to hear a Bob Rock produced GNR album. I think the band would respect him because of his obvious accolades. He's an engineer and producer and always gets incredible tones, and he pushes the performer out of their comfort zone to get great performances. Recording without someone you're comfortable with might yield good results sometimes, but most of the time it's better if you're trying to impress.

Nick Raskulinecz is also a great producer who almost becomes the other member of the band without putting his sound on the album. He takes the essence of the what's great about a band and reminds the band 'this is what you do best, do this'. 

I don't know though, I feel like GNR are about as lost now in direction as they were in the mid 90s 'do we recreate an AFD sound, do we do something completely new' I think a confident producer would be the way to go. 

Beside the point though, they are working with Caram and I don't really foresee a follow up record after all the current batch of songs get released... And IF they made a follow up, Axl would probably stick with Caram.

What do you think about getting Dave Cobb on board?

8 minutes ago, AtlasShrugged said:

What do you think about getting Dave Cobb on board?

He's made some good records, but I wouldn't be excited to hear he was working with GNR, especially not if the current Slash singles are demonstrative of what he might do. 

I kinda would like Axl / GNR to make a more raw record that isn't as multi-layered and complex, but I think Bob/Nick would be the best choices 

Probably 75% of the reason I ever listened to Slash featuring the Dad Rocks was because the production was fucking killer. But man, this record is rough. It’s not the fact that it was recorded live, but the mix is just rough. Muddy, drums are largely lost aside from some paper grocery bag flaps. Guitars are harsh. Vocals buried (some might find this appealing). I get that this is a guitarist driven album, so guitars will be featured. But yeah. I’m not opposed to the live studio recording in theory, but this mix/master on 4 was rough.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

Excellent shouts. Once upon a time Bob Rock/GNR would have been absolute dynamite.

In all likelihood it will be Caram…but you would think that any producer worth their salt would want that producers chair. Clink would be good too - not familiar with his recent productions but in terms of his history with the band etc it would be interesting.

36 minutes ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’m the only one but I think HS sounds great. The mix is loud and clear; I can hear every instrument clearly :shrugs:

Agreed, I like it! I wish the backing vocals were a bit louder, but that's it. I like it.

I do dispair at the over-analysing that goes into every single beat around here sometimes. It's music, just turn it up and enjoy it for what it is! 🙄

• Like 3

Bob Rock & Nick Raskulinecz are great choices.  Unfortunately, Axl is just as unlikely to allow someone to push him outside of his comfort zone at 60 as he was at 30.

I also find Nick's albums, while great from a sonic standpoint, are way too compressed.  He ends up ruining half of the meticulous work he did to get those great sonics by dynamically compressing  and digitally limited everything to oblivion.

11 minutes ago, oneway23 said:

Bob Rock & Nick Raskulinecz are great choices.  Unfortunately, Axl is just as unlikely to allow someone to push him outside of his comfort zone at 60 as he was at 30.

I also find Nick's albums, while great from a sonic standpoint, are way too compressed.  He ends up ruining half of the meticulous work he did to get those great sonics by dynamically compressing  and digitally limited everything to oblivion.

What would you think about cutting it with Dave Cobb?

Depends on whether or not Dave Cobb's name being put forward means that it would be "cut live" like Slash's record was.  I don't want to pop anyone's bubble, but, I just can't see Axl doing anything like that.

Edited by oneway23

I think it's safe to assume that we'll never ever get a "live sounding" or "live in the studio recorded" album by GNR ever again. It's all going to be "Frankensteined" together, as someone already said. Even if there is going to be an album after the one, which will most likely be made of old Nu-GNR songs spiced up by Slash and Duff, it'll most likely going to be one of these "everybody doing something in their own studio and sharing files" affairs.

Edited by Spoon87

39 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

Agreed, I like it! I wish the backing vocals were a bit louder, but that's it. I like it.

I do dispair at the over-analysing that goes into every single beat around here sometimes. It's music, just turn it up and enjoy it for what it is! 🙄

It's understandable if you don't care or notice stuff like that but it doesn't make it invalid or a non issue. Many people care about the sound quality of the music they are listening to, and Absurd and Hard Skool and the new Slash stuff sound like absolute garbage in that regard. I wouldn't describe it as over analysing. You really just need to listen to it to hear how it sounds. 

Edited by Jw224

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

I’m the only one but I think HS sounds great. The mix is loud and clear; I can hear every instrument clearly :shrugs:

I actually don't hate the mix either, it's heavily compressed... but I kinda like that sound from time to time! Everything sounds huge and lively.