Slash - Live From Studios 60 (Full New Album Live Performance)

I thought Living the Dream was fucking terrible and couldn't even make it few the first few songs of this album they put out.. Kind of a bummer since I have devoured everything Slash produced his entire career. 

That said I am watching this Live Studio 60 show and some of the songs sound pretty good.. Better than Living the Dream anyway.. They are always a very tight live band and Slash rocks.. Myles sounds better to me live than in the studio but he still makes everything sound similar and generic. 

After watching this, I will at least give the album a listen which I wasn't planning to after those first songs they put out. Not confident it will be as good without the live energy and visuals.  Digging the song "Actions speak louder than words" and the one that came on right after it.. Kind of has an AIC vibe. 

Edited by Tom-Ass
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

I thought Living the Dream was fucking terrible and couldn't even make it few the first few songs of this album they out out.. Kind of a bummer since I have devoured everything Slash produced his entire career. 

That said I am watching this Live Studio 60 show and some of the songs sound pretty good.. Better than Living the Dream anyway.. They are always a very tight live band and Slash rocks.. Myles sounds better to me live than in the studio but he still makes everything sound similar and generic. 

After watching this, I will at least give the album a listen which I wasn't planning to after those first songs they put out. Not confident it will be as good without the live energy and visuals.  Digging the song "Actions speak louder than words" and the one that came on right after it.. Kind of has an AIC vibe. 

Record's terrible compared to the show.

Just rewatched the whole performance again. Never actually watched an entire GNR concert straight through. This is really, really great.

In a way I think this is similar to U2s Songs of Innocence/Experience. It sounds with the music that Slash has gone back to the music of his youth. I'm definitely getting a 1970s Aerosmith vibe from a lot of the longs.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

Record's terrible compared to the show.

ughhhh.. You are usually very open minded when it comes to Slash's work too..  I will stream it but not expecting much.. I wish he would stop wasting his time with this band.. Honestly Guns too.. The guy has so much more to offer and I feel his talents are being wasted.. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

ughhhh.. You are usually very open minded when it comes to Slash's work too..  I will stream it but not expecting much.. I wish he would stop wasting his time with this band.. Honestly Guns too.. The guy has so much more to offer and I feel his talents are being wasted.. 

He's not talking about Slashs work but the production, which IS terrible

• Like 3

2 hours ago, axl666 said:

Just rewatched the whole performance again. Never actually watched an entire GNR concert straight through. This is really, really great.

In a way I think this is similar to U2s Songs of Innocence/Experience. It sounds with the music that Slash has gone back to the music of his youth. I'm definitely getting a 1970s Aerosmith vibe from a lot of the longs.

Yes I agree. I actually like how it's only a 10 song album. All killer like Aerosmith albums from the 70s were just 8 songs

1 hour ago, Tom-Ass said:

Tbh the show helped me a lot get into the new songs. First I was very skeptical about them but the show was a lot of fun.

I think I'd love the record if it was well produced. 

How great would be the solo of The Path Less Followed if it was mixed properly for example.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Tbh the show helped me a lot get into the new songs. First I was very skeptical about them but the show was a lot of fun.

I think I'd love the record if it was well produced. 

How great would be the solo of The Path Less Followed if it was mixed properly for example.

The show saved the album as far as I'm concerned. I am baffled quite frankly that any of them involved didn't listen to both and have an alarm bell set off about how much the production held the album back compared to listening to the same record with that live show version.

It's maddening it happened, but I guess the upside is that these guys natural tendency not to do the bare minimum has rewarded them because if you don't like the album version at least fans have this option now which will keep some fans more interested than they otherwise might be otherwise.

I actually loved this concept of playing the whole album all the way through and a few of the classics to close out.

Roughly an hour live show for this format was perfect and easily digested. I hope this becomes something Slash tries to do going forward with his releases as it very much enhanced the final product. That was a slick production and is a total testament to the idea of sometimes less is more.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

I urge every fan of Slash to listen to Call Off The Dogs from here and tell me that's not a good song. The chord progression and repeating riff in the chorus, is about as good a song as Slash will ever write, it's quintessentially him. The album version doesn't have the same energy

Instrumentally it sounds ok, but Myles ruins it with the vocal melodies he sings.

• Like 1

Man, Spirit Love sounds so much better here than on the album. April Fool kicks more ass as well. Think Slash's guitar could have been boosted in the mix a bit more during Fall Back to Earth.

Video is shot well, shame it's not available in 4K, compression and artifacts are pretty bad even at 1080p.

Crazy to think this band has been around for more than a decade. Anastasia kicks ass as always.

C’est La Vie is a banger dude. I immediately went back to the start on my first run through. It could’ve been better with a different singer probably but it still draws you in imo. I wish they would’ve spent more time on the actual album but I’ll give them a ton of credit for playing the whole thing live like this for the fans. Very cool. 

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, Martin Riggs said:

C’est La Vie is a banger dude. I immediately went back to the start on my first run through. It could’ve been better with a different singer probably but it still draws you in imo. I wish they would’ve spent more time on the actual album but I’ll give them a ton of credit for playing the whole thing live like this for the fans. Very cool. 

I reckon it's the way forward for bands. It's great promotion for the album and you get to hear every song off the album live atleast once.

I never got to hear VR play Loving The Alien live which totally suckef

• Like 1

Ok, I rate '4' based on the livestream. After the disappointment of the first listen to the record this performance gave those songs a life. They sound much more alive and spread a great rock n roll vibe... at times even a punk rock vibe (Call Off The Dogs) which I really dig.

Slash guitar could have been louder here and there but it's much better than on record. On the record there are parts buried in the mix which elevate the songs like what Slash plays during the verses in C'est La Vie in the live setting. It's there on the record but it's way to low. 

I don't like every part of every song. There're highs and lows like some uninspiring verses or some hooks/melodies of Myles but I'm used to his contributions and I think he did a good job overall. 

It's probably their first record that I could listen to without skipping anything. 

Then there are gems on it. My favorites so far are Fall Back To Earth (what a journey, what leads on guitar, heavy ballad), C'est La Vie (catchy song, groovy talkbox), Spirit Love (Heavy Riffing, dark track, the riff the band plays when Slash is soloing :drool:). Basically every other track is good, too. April Fool, Fill My World, Whatever Gets You By and so on.

I really like the interplay between Slash and Frank. Pay attention at the verses of Actions Speak Louder Than Words as an example. Very nice.

• Like 2

I feel like SMKC is a live band and thrive in that environment.

I know Slash spoke a Iot about trying to record the album as close to live as possible, and from how everyone feels it seems to be the way to appreciate them the best. Do you think they could take this audio and release it as a live album? The tracks have so much more life in the live 60 performances.