New Slash Interview (Rolling Stone)

Forget the other stuff, this is my favorite part of the interview.  Confirms the fact that they all know that together they are greater than the sum of their parts.  Was also neat to hear that Slash and Duff had fun redoing Axl's stuff.  I always wonder if those two are just doing it to please Axl and keep the peace (which they very well could be), but it's nice to know they at least enjoyed it.  Hopefully, that shows in the music (I think it did in Absurd).

Overall, what’s been the best part about getting back with GN’R?
I think the biggest thing was getting past this horrible black cloud that was perpetuating, having to do with me and Axl. We had a lot of issues born out of third-party stuff. It was very insidious, and the longer we didn’t talk, the more it got blown out of proportion. But the more significant part was, when Axl and Duff and I first got into a room playing, it was just like this fucking thing that I can’t even really verbally describe. It was like, “Whoa, that’s what that is.” Then, just to go out and play together, it’s like, I wonder how the fuck we got into that mess that we were in in the Nineties.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

"it was a lot of fun just because it was part and parcel of a bunch of stuff that we were working on"

"There’s a bunch of new stuff also coming"

Sounds like they've decided which 2 songs will be released next, and have a few others up their sleeve.

Exactly! how can you read this and not come to this exact conclusion. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, DoMw94 said:

He did say that. He also said there was another coming soon after – he's given you more than what you're asking for! I don't see the issue.

If two are coming out in quick succession like Absurd and Hard Skool, with the rest coming further down the line, why not acknowledge that?

I think too much is being read into a throwaway comment to be honest

You could be right, but IMO it could be either, with the way Slash phrased it. I think no one can be sure, "some songs" could be refering to the 2 he's talking about right after, or refering to a batch in general. Useless for us IMO to speculate from that comment alone, as there's too much you can interpret into it.

7 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

No... he said there's 2 songs they are releasing soon, and they are part of a larger collection of songs that they are working on. It's pretty clear in what he said. He didn't say there was definitely an album this year, but there is an album of material that they are working on for some point in the future. ALSO, Slash is famously coy with the press. He denied the reunion right up until the day it was announced, saying he had no idea where the rumours came from and his focus was SMKC, what makes you think he's going to give the full behind the scenes of a new GNR album now?

The "larger batch" comment included the work on HS and Absurd from the way I would see it, 4 songs is a batch.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, mystery said:

We're in the streaming age where album sales are kind of incidental at this point. If they really plan on releasing more stuff this year then that's great news.

I imagine it'll be a lot like last year where you'll see them on YouTube and other services the day of release. It'd also make sense for them to add these songs to the setlist.

I definitely agree that releasing stuff like that is understandable nowadays. It's just when you think that it's gnr that are doing it that it becomes concerning :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, StrangerInThisTown said:

The "larger batch" comment included the work on HS and Absurd from the way I would see it, 4 songs is a batch.

Possible to interpret it that way, but doesn't really make sense why he would use future tense describing already released material?? I guess we can file this under 'who knows?' but I think he's talking about more than HS and Absurd. I wish an interviewer would just ask him to give a number of how many songs he's recorded guitar for on the new GNR stuff, no names, description of style etc, just a number is it 4 is it 14 is it more. That would clear a lot up.

1 minute ago, Jw224 said:

I definitely agree that releasing stuff like that is understandable nowadays. It's just when you think that it's gnr that are doing it that it becomes concerning :lol:

I think most major artists are doing it that way these days. Bruno Mars made a joint album last year called Silk Sonic that was on YouTube right away. The days of buying music are over for most people outside of Spotify or Apple Music. I don't think most people even buy songs or albums digitally anymore.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Alexmee239 said:

Guys, if there were only two songs, he wouldn't talk about the possibility of a record. He says he has a bunch of songs, but doesnt know if they will be packaged as a whole or not, you cannot do that with 4 songs total.

Wow! slow down! don't use common sense😜

And yeah, I know we're talking about GNR and it's 99% likely that we'll never get this fucking album! and even if there is an albums worth ready with vocals it could for some unknown reason be left in the shelf. I am not saying I 100% believe that they'll release a full album, but I firmly believe they are working more songs than we currently know of. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

How does it back up what you're saying? There's two more coming soon, he didn't say "there's a song called Atlas and one called perhaps that we're releasing soon. Even IF they are released next it means nothing though, because Slash has also said there is more material. He used the word Bunch in a previous interview, a bunch is at least 4, plus HS and Absurd that makes 6 songs which is at minimum 2 short to be a full album. If Slash does an interview and says "we're just going to release an EP" then I will say you're in the ballpark of being backed up.

No... he said there's 2 songs they are releasing soon, and they are part of a larger collection of songs that they are working on. It's pretty clear in what he said. He didn't say there was definitely an album this year, but there is an album of material that they are working on for some point in the future. ALSO, Slash is famously coy with the press. He denied the reunion right up until the day it was announced, saying he had no idea where the rumours came from and his focus was SMKC, what makes you think he's going to give the full behind the scenes of a new GNR album now?

Are you seriously gonna die on this cliff?

Are you genuinely saying you actually believe they aren't gonna do EXACTLY what I've been saying for years and release Atlas/Perhaps/maybe General and actually release a batch of unheard material?

Of course you don't.............

34 minutes ago, kozydogg said:

Forget the other stuff, this is my favorite part of the interview.  Confirms the fact that they all know that together they are greater than the sum of their parts.  Was also neat to hear that Slash and Duff had fun redoing Axl's stuff.  I always wonder if those two are just doing it to please Axl and keep the peace (which they very well could be), but it's nice to know they at least enjoyed it.  Hopefully, that shows in the music (I think it did in Absurd).

Overall, what’s been the best part about getting back with GN’R?
I think the biggest thing was getting past this horrible black cloud that was perpetuating, having to do with me and Axl. We had a lot of issues born out of third-party stuff. It was very insidious, and the longer we didn’t talk, the more it got blown out of proportion. But the more significant part was, when Axl and Duff and I first got into a room playing, it was just like this fucking thing that I can’t even really verbally describe. It was like, “Whoa, that’s what that is.” Then, just to go out and play together, it’s like, I wonder how the fuck we got into that mess that we were in in the Nineties.

Yeah, I think it's really nice to see that they have sorted their differences and it genuinely seems to be an enjoyable experience for everyone. I've seen people say since the reunion that it's just a money thing, and obviously that comes into it but that's obviously not all it is.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pele said:

Haha, in other words, you're annoyed because Slash has confirmed exactly what I've been saying all along.

No, Slash is definitely not the person who is annoying me in this situation :lol:

Really, I think there comes a time where just going "I think _ is what is happening in regards to unheard GNR material" and just moving on is the best way to go about it, as you can see, arguing about it just is this circular thing that never resolves

I think I can speak for everyone when we really are not THAT emotionally invested in if there isn't more material coming out than what is on the Village Sessions disks like you are - because if it is the case it just is what it is.   We are more invested in an online forum where not every topic turns into the same thing from the same people, saying the same things and not letting it go lol

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Tom2112 said:

How does it back up what you're saying? There's two more coming soon, he didn't say "there's a song called Atlas and one called perhaps that we're releasing soon. Even IF they are released next it means nothing though, because Slash has also said there is more material. He used the word Bunch in a previous interview, a bunch is at least 4, plus HS and Absurd that makes 6 songs which is at minimum 2 short to be a full album. If Slash does an interview and says "we're just going to release an EP" then I will say you're in the ballpark of being backed up.

Yeah, and he has also previously said he's worked on "lots". 

Slash is just reinstating the concept of releasing individual songs in a piecemeal fashion. Obviously he believes they have enough for a record since he is saying these songs could be packaged on an album in the end. It doesn't seem to me, taking what Slash has said in other interviews into account too, that the question is really about whether they have enough songs for an album, but whether they will actually package it into an album in the end - and knowing how peculiar Axl may be about such things (layout, liner notes, production), and how quickly plans can fall apart in the world of Guns N' Roses, I can fully understand that Slash has decided to not to speak to conclusively o the matter before it actually happens. It is a lesson learnt the hard way, but only confirming what is extremely likely to happen -- what has passed committed steps -- may save both Slash and the fans from a lot of disappointment. 

As for what the next two songs will be - who knows? Not me, not you, not anyone else, either. That being said, I think Atlas is likely, though, since it was almost included on Chinese Democracy, which suggests Axl had plans for this song as late as 2008. Then maybe General if it is true a finished version of it was circulating back in 2006 (or when it was). But it could be any other song we have heard of, or not.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Pele said:

Are you seriously gonna die on this cliff?

Are you genuinely saying you actually believe they aren't gonna do EXACTLY what I've been saying for years and release Atlas/Perhaps/maybe General and actually release a batch of unheard material?

Of course you don't.............

Honest question, why do you care so much if people think differently than you in terms of what GNR does or doesn't have going for them for releases? lol

• Like 2

2 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Because of cognitive bias. People interpret what they read to confirm their opinions. And the more emotionally invested they are in a topic, the harder it becomes to not do that.

It's abundantly clear to me at this point that nobody cares MORE about this issue than Pele. It's as if his relentless obsession with Perhaps/Atlas being the only two vocally completed songs is a coping mechanism to protect him from any potential future crushing disappointments. 

The rest of us sane fans just hope for the best and have other shit in our lives that matter way more. To Pele, this IS life.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Towelie said:

It's abundantly clear to me at this point that nobody cares MORE about this issue than Pele. It's as if his relentless obsession with Perhaps/Atlas being the only two vocally completed songs is a coping mechanism to protect him from any potential future crushing disappointments. 

The rest of us sane fans just hope for the best and have other shit in our lives that matter way more. To Pele, this IS life.

I'd say he needs psychotherapy. But imagine a situation where the doc says something like "ALAS, PERHAPS this is what we need to do..." etc. That would kill him instantly. The poor bastard would get a heart attack right on the sofa.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

"it was a lot of fun just because it was part and parcel of a bunch of stuff that we were working on"

"There’s a bunch of new stuff also coming"

Sounds like they've decided which 2 songs will be released next, and have a few others up their sleeve.

Bingo. All I hear here is that they have a short-term plan but there is a few songs on the go. If the next two are Perhaps/Atlas so what - everything points to others ready to follow…and then it gets interesting.

9 hours ago, Pele said:

So they can sell another CD to idiots who handed over their hard earned money for 20 year old throwaways 'to support the band'.

To use as promotional material for the next leg of the tour because he won't give interviews or go on chat shows or do any other kind of promotion.

Don’t think you are doing yourself any favours calling folk idiots for buying the CD. Some people literally don’t give a shit about the ‘history’ of the song or how it was made (indeed just may not even know)…they just like the song and want to add to their collection.

• Like 3