Put SMKC Aside

On 2/15/2022 at 7:23 PM, Zeppelin said:

Anything would be better than the puddle water that is SMKC. Truly a band on autopilot.

Huh! They release new music, change the setlist and don't play the same cover songs for 30 years.

Go to a show and decide if you like it after the show rather than before 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Chuerta86 said:

What other "generic modern rock" band sounds like SMKC? 4 sounds anything but generic, the riffs and hooks Slash wrote are pretty creative and has a throwback 70's/80's rock vibe for the most part. Even Myles whose voice is an acquired taste has a distinctive voice. 

They're a great band with great music. We'll have a 5th album in the next 2-3 years. That's fantastic. Slash has finally found a singer who's not a premadonna and can just work with making music

• Like 3

On 2/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, pugachev said:

Slash still does SKMC because Guns doesn't do anything. We all know why.  It's been 6 years, and we've only got two songs so far. Slash isn't going to sit around while Axl does whatever he does. If GNR(Axl) were really interested in putting out a new album, obviously, Slash's priorities would be there. He knows that's where the real $$$ is. But, there's no point of dumping SKMC when Guns(Axl) has no honest intention of releasing new music.

Yup. I don't think they have any intention of doing new music. You nailed it. 

Slash has his creative outlet with his band. 

It's a shame though, what is so hard about banging out a record with the current lineup. 

Budget wise there is nothing to worry about. Just lock up a month in everyone's calendar and jam something out. It doest have to be ground breaking statement. Just enjoying jamming and making music. Fans will like the output even if it never captures the success of the past.

CD was hardly a ground breaking success, so I'd have thought axl would be comfortable there. 

Every time I look at it, I just can't understand the logic around why, or what's bothering them, that they don't or can't record something and put it out. The only conclusion I get from it is that they don't want to, and are happy just playing shows and touring - and if that's the case be open and honest about it. 

6 minutes ago, hudsonsaul said:

Yup. I don't think they have any intention of doing new music. You nailed it. 

Slash has his creative outlet with his band. 

It's a shame though, what is so hard about banging out a record with the current lineup. 

Budget wise there is nothing to worry about. Just lock up a month in everyone's calendar and jam something out. It doest have to be ground breaking statement. Just enjoying jamming and making music. Fans will like the output even if it never captures the success of the past.

CD was hardly a ground breaking success, so I'd have thought axl would be comfortable there. 

Every time I look at it, I just can't understand the logic around why, or what's bothering them, that they don't or can't record something and put it out. The only conclusion I get from it is that they don't want to, and are happy just playing shows and touring - and if that's the case be open and honest about it. 

Not they... they want.

It's Axl who's responsible. Only him.

• Like 3

Slash and Myles seem to enjoy being in a band together and make some money along the way.

I don't see how SMKC will ever end. I'm not a big fan of the band's music myself.

But hey, if they're having fun and enough people show up to see them and buy their music. Well, then there is nothing wrong with that.

15 hours ago, WildStar said:

Huh! They release new music, change the setlist and don't play the same cover songs for 30 years.

I never thought about this before but you are right.....it's pretty bad having to play the same song over and over again when its your own, but when you are playing the same cover over and over again for 30 years, then its just getting sad

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Chuerta86 said:

What other "generic modern rock" band sounds like SMKC? 4 sounds anything but generic, the riffs and hooks Slash wrote are pretty creative and has a throwback 70's/80's rock vibe for the most part. Even Myles whose voice is an acquired taste has a distinctive voice. 

You just said it's a throwback rock vibe. There are numerous modern rock bands who do the same thing. So you just proved my point. I give them credit for churning out these milquetoast efforts that people will forget in a year, but they're not doing anything exciting here.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, WildStar said:

Go to a show and decide if you like it after the show rather than before 

Again, I'm not defending GNR. They're the definition of autopilot. Why would I go to an SMKC show if I don't like their music? Like I said, I'm sure they put on a fine show, but them releasing record after record of uninspired rock music proves that quantity doesn't trump quality.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Zeppelin said:

Again, I'm not defending GNR. They're the definition of autopilot. Why would I go to an SMKC show if I don't like their music? Like I said, I'm sure they put on a fine show, but them releasing record after record of uninspired rock music proves that quantity doesn't trump quality.

Fair enough if you don't like it. But people who like music other than what Axl sings enjoy it. They haven't had a bad release for me.

Zep are a decent band I'll give you that one fella. Imagine if Myles had ended up singing for them. What would have chose razorblades or a noose?

On 2/16/2022 at 9:07 AM, MaskingApathy said:

Come to a show, then tell me if you still think they're on autopilot.

I‘ve been to 2 smkc shows just to see Slash & Todd kerns. The songs are so boring… the only time I get excited is when they play a GNR song. SMKC stuff doesn’t touch me in any way and moreover I hate Myles voice. Won t go to their show anymore 

On 2/17/2022 at 6:54 AM, Zeppelin said:

You just said it's a throwback rock vibe. There are numerous modern rock bands who do the same thing. So you just proved my point. I give them credit for churning out these milquetoast efforts that people will forget in a year, but they're not doing anything exciting here.

Not really. You forget Slash was alive durong that period and has been playing that style of music for most of his life. It's like complaining that Steven Tyler released a solo album and it sounds like 70's era Aerosmith or even yet how people complained about KK Downing solo album sounding like Priest when that music has been engrained in their DNA.

You didn't answer my question. What other generic modern band sounds like SMKC? What other singer sounds like Myles Kennedy? 

If you don't like the style or music that's fine to each their own but saying they sound like every other modern band is just absurd.

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 11:23 AM, Zeppelin said:

Anything would be better than the puddle water that is SMKC. Truly a band on autopilot.

I totally get not being into their songwriting, but autopilot? Like, I just am not seeing it personally - they put on energetic live shows and all that.

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Sweersa said:

I meant more as a quality of material, not so much style. I do like Myles Kennedy in some of his solo stuff. I suppose I view him like Baz, I can handle his singing in doses. 

SMKC is more simple compared to VR but that doesn't make the music less good automatically. It's still personal preference. If they haven't release anything yet that you like, then don't expect different from them in the future. Whatever they do, they keeping it straight up and simple rocknroll.

With each SMKC release I get the impression that some people are surprised how much they dislike their music everytime again. By now their formula should be known.

• Like 1