Standout tracks on 4

axl666

For me, the standout track is C'est La Vie, which I think from looking at the lyrics for the first time is about domestic violence.

Other standouts are Spirit Love (very heavy Alice in Chains influence track) and Fall to Earth. I find fall to earth interesting as the solo at 3.48 slightly lets down the song for me; is it in a different key? Really like the rest of the song and once the solo is over the song builds and builds again. Continues Slash's Godfather influenced stuff, and song is a bit like the solo in Serial Killer as well.

Rest of the album overall is good- really good. I don't mind the production as much as some people (I think this might be Slash's St. Anger).

I actually think that this my favourite Slash album overall since It's 5 O' Clock Somewhere.

• Like 3

C'est La Vie

Fall Back To Earth

Fill My World

Spirit Love

Whatever Gets You By

Honestly I love them all they are so different. Even Call Off The Dogs which I didn't like when it was originally released and only heard a couple of times I've grown to really enjoy after the Studio 60 release. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Anyone else still digging this album?

I like all SMKC albums to varying degrees, but 4 is probably the only one I can play front to back without skipping a song.

Funnily enough, the only song I don't enjoy that much is The River Is Rising. I always thinks Slash seems to choose weak tracks to start his albums.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Towelie said:

I like all SMKC albums to varying degrees, but 4 is probably the only one I can play front to back without skipping a song.

Funnily enough, the only song I don't enjoy that much is The River Is Rising. I always thinks Slash seems to choose weak tracks to start his albums.

I come back to listen to live performances of 4 tracks often and I like the album. A lot of really cool tunes, especially instrumentally. The studio versions of Slash's solos are undercooked imo, but live it all sounds pretty damn good. Fall Back To Earth is a highlight for me. The River Is Rising is a fun little tune.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

I'm still listening to this every now and then but like Ralphelmo I watch the Studio 60 recording.  

My thoughts on this are very similar to yours. Its the only SMKC record that I can listen to front to back. 

The weakest song imo is The Path Less Followed even though it has probably the best solo on the record.

The best songs overall are Whatever Gets You By, C'est La Vie and Call Off The Dogs I think, but it's difficult to tell because the whole record contains easy listening music with not as many highs as their previous albums, but with very few lows.

I'm really looking forward to Slash's next record and I'm curious not only about who's gonna sing on it, but with which musicians he collaborated. Would be funny if it's Duff snd Richard. 

Edited by Free Bird
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I really love The River Is Rising, Fill My World and Whatever Gets You By. :slash:

I don't like any of their opening tracks. Apocalyptic Love was decent but far from the best on the album, World on Fire is weak  Call of the Wild meh and The River is Rising is the worst track on 4 imho.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Towelie said:

I don't like any of their opening tracks. Apocalyptic Love was decent but far from the best on the album, World on Fire is weak  Call of the Wild meh and The River is Rising is the worst track on 4 imho.

I was dissapointed with The River Is Rising when it came out but it has grown on me and I think its better then most of the singles from Living The Dream.

23 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

I really dislike Driving Rain. There are much better songs on LTD imo.

4 minutes ago, janrichmond said:

You've listed tracks I love, lol

I always seem to like the songs everyone else hates and hate the songs everyone else loves. lol

• Haha 2

I think 4 is Slash's best album instrumentally in some time. Very diverse set. C'est La Vie, Spirit Love, Whatever Gets You By, Fall Back To Earth are all pretty cool, and I even really like the siren riff on The River Is Rising. Just needs a real songwriter to collaborate with. Fill My World is the only song Myles wrote above average melodies for.