Slash needs someone to push him to make great music

Thunderquip

Yea, even if he keeps SMKC on the backburner for a few years it'd be nice too see Slash try something different. He's way too comfortable with Myles and the Conspirators, seems like he's churning out generic and boring songs just so he has something to do. It keeps him occupied but there doesn't seem to be much passion in that band anymore.

I've said it before but a blues album would probably be the most interesting thing he could do now. Another album with guest singers and musicians could be great, too. More soundtracks like Universal Monsters would be way more interesting than SMKC.

• Like 1

Slash is an icon, people are always going to eat his shit up. Overrated, big time from a technical standpoint, but overall he's a great guitarist.

I'd prefer Robin and Bucket though.

At least they still have Fortus, ironically the band's most skilled lead player doesn't play lead as often as Slash.

I don't know, he is currently with Axl and his musical output in GnR has been pretty underwhelming. I find his solo stuff since the reunion to be more daring and interesting; particularly in "4."

His approach to 4 was different due to the pandemic and will not be the norm going forward. 

After dealing with Axl and Scott I think he is just happy to channel his creativity with no drama and Myles and the Conspirators provide him that. I do get the impression Myles is more reserved, it could be due to covid or he is just going through the motions and this is a steady big paycheck.

If anything, I would love for Slash to do some more work with Rod Jackson; Ain't Life Grand is essential for any Slash fan. 

I also hope he ventures into a collaboration album like he did with his self titled album. I would love for him to finally work with Dave Mustaine.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Sweersa said:

Slash is an icon, people are always going to eat his shit up. Overrated, big time from a technical standpoint, but overall he's a great guitarist.

I'd prefer Robin and Bucket though.

At least they still have Fortus, ironically the band's most skilled lead player doesn't play lead as often as Slash.

Yeah thats the best idea I heard so far. Fortus is so skilled, he should play leads for every classic GNR song while Slash stands beside him.

You haven't understand GNR if you think the most important thing to be as the lead guitarist for GNR is to be technically the most  skilled player.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Free Bird said:

Yeah thats the best idea I heard so far. Fortus is so skilled, he should play leads for every classic GNR song while Slash stands beside him.

You haven't understand GNR if you think the most important thing to be as the lead guitarist for GNR is to be technically the most  skilled player.

Fortus should play all of the CD solos that Slash can't play, so all of them. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Free Bird said:

If the most important characteristic of being the lead guitarist is "technical skill" Slash should be his own accounts be playing rhythm in his own band. There are probably no more than a handful of guitarists on this planet that wouldn't trade their left nut to trade the techincal ability you can learn for the intangible crap Slash does as a player that you can't teach.

The guitar icon explained, "Myles teaches me stuff. Technically he's much more proficient than I am. He knows way more about all that stuff. There's been a few times where he's shown me licks, runs, arpeggios or scales and I'm like, 'What was that?'"

This was from an interview Slash did with Classic Rock in 2014.

Anyone frustrated about or wondering why Slash keeps bothering with Myles should entertain that he might generally just like the guy. They both love guitar, seem to in many ways have similar personality traits, share a love of working their asses off and seemingly enjoy making music together because at this point neither guy "needs" this.

While I may not love everything SMKC do I can respect the hell out of the fact he is letting this band stand on its own material at this point instead of playing a Guns tribute every night with a few Slash songs thrown in. That would be quite easy given his station in life and the career he's had.

Guns is paying all the bills, but I promise he likely gets tremendous satisfaction personally out of the work he is doing with this band and what it has become considering what it started as.

Slash sees Myles like basically the rest of the rock n roll community outside of the GNR forums (which have deep seated misdirected anger at him because it is easier than focusing it on where it belongs) as the supremely talented vocalist he is. The fact he also happens to be an ace guitar player (which Slash no doubt respects/loves even though he really only sings in this band), is easy to work with and personable to be around tells you all you need to know about why Slash has basically committed to him for life.

• Like 2

I don't see much if any hate for Myles here at all. I think everybody gets why Slash hangs on to SMKC and he would probably put it on hold for a rather long time if GnR would really do new music. 

But there's quite a few people that really don't like Myles' timbre and lyrics. Way too many SMKC songs sound basically the same. There's zero tension or danger to any of it, it's very much Dad Rock at this point. 

And really, how many more SMKC albums do you want? 

It's fucking boring.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I don't see much if any hate for Myles here at all. I think everybody gets why Slash hangs on to SMKC and he would probably put it on hold for a rather long time if GnR would really do new music. 

But there's quite a few people that really don't like Myles' timbre and lyrics. Way too many SMKC songs sound basically the same. There's zero tension or danger to any of it, it's very much Dad Rock at this point. 

It's fucking boring.

It's the only new music we get from the guys.

I'd also prefer a proper GNR record. But a completely new record, not some reworked CD leftovers. 

I also agree that that Myles isn't rock n roll enough and makes many songs sound poppy but with every release there are still a bunch of new good songs. Especially this last record is very classic rock sounding...

• Like 1

22 hours ago, axl666 said:

I don't agree with the premise he's not a good song writer. The songs on the new album such as c est la vie and fall to earth are as good as any rock songs that have come out over the past few years.

I think what he is actually is supremely creative and creates music as easily as most people breathe. Everyone says that he is unusual for such a successful musician as he s always playing and practicing. 

I think if he has a weakness it's probably not wanting to spend time refining and refining. He creates and then moves on to the next thing straight away. I think he s a bit like Bucket head in that way.

Myles gets too much criticism. He s a good singer and lyricist. He also seems to be very stable. It's totally clear why someone like Slash would value someone like that.

To be fair, GN'R fans are rarely exposed to Myles best work (Alter Bridge and his solo output). Slash and the conspirators seems more like a vacation for him sometimes. Hell he doesn't even play guitar with Slash if I'm not mistaken.

9 hours ago, El Guapo said:

It's fucking boring.

Exactly. Nobody is denying that Myles is talented in a technical sense, but at this point his melodies are predictable and boring. You know exactly what to expect from the choruses and the lyrics are generic. SMKC is Slash's "comfort zone" and Myles is kinda the perfect guy for that, but man it'd be nice if Slash stepped out of his comfort zone more often.

• Like 1

The last two SMKC records are so boring. I was a fan of his slash solo record and Apocalyptic Love but after

that the quality went downhill. Even Myles seem bored. I like his singing and melody writing  in Alter Bridge

and on his solo record. Why his stuff with slash is so average most of the timeI dont know. Maybe he is not that inspired by

the ideas of slash. There must be a reason. It seems like Slash needs an Diva like Axl or Scott to push him to

a better performance. Someone who says all the time "you can do better", "try harder".

It`s a shame that I dont like the latest record again. They are all great musicians but it really lacks of

good songwriting. and ideas with potential. Maybe they should write more of the music together

in the future. Maybe they think a good Slash Riff makes a good song but it takes more than that.

Especialyl the arrangements could be so much better almost on every song on "4". 

• Like 1

On 2/15/2022 at 7:43 PM, Thunderquip said:

He is just too comfortable now. He is not hungry at all, there is no spark to his playing. His work live in guns N roses is fine, but he is obviously doing that for the paycheck, there is nothing adventurous being done at live shows and that band are obviously not working on writing new music.

He has his band, who is is wayyy too comfortable with, his band that he just jams with and infinitely re-writes the sweet child riff and other variations of the same old rock n roll stuff, then they jam it into a formulaic song structure and Myles sings some inoffensive, neutered lyrics that mean nothing over the top and the result is a new album of cookie cutter forgettable middle of the road rock. Even his solos, the bit where he should shine..he doesn't even bother...it's all 'oh man, we record so quickly! I get it down in two takes and the solos are sloppy! Haha, but its got energy!!'

No it doesn't slash, it sounds like you just pissed off any old solo and you think that you are so great that you can get it right first time. In guns N roses you worked at the solos because you knew axl was hard to please and you were hungry to be the best you could be, with these guys they are just happy to have a job in a big name band and they just go along with anything you do.

MyleS doesn't care, it's all free and easy 'here we go again, more bluesy rock from slash, that will be fun, hang out for a couple of weeks and sing whatever over the top and then off on tour!

Why doesn't he take some time to do something good???

I say this as a big fan of slash, I have heard what he is capable of and he can write great riffs and solos, but these days he just doesn't....he re hash's his old stuff and noodles around.

Yet, when I look at the comments on YouTube of his new stuff, most of what I see are 'oh wow, slash is the greatest!'

I can see why he keeps making these albums with Myles, it is easy, quick, and the reviews are good. For the snakepit stuff he got shit on, but it was obvious that a lot more creativity went into 'aint life grand' than the stuff he does now. But people shit on that band...I suspect he thinks 'well, this formula works and people accept this singer so I'll stick with this'

100% agree. 

Slash nuthuggers don't like it, but my lord his last 2 albums have been terribly generic and uninspiring. Myles is the ultimate safe option. generic riff, 2 verse 2 chorus bridge solo outro, meaningless lyrics. do that 12 times you got yourself a slash album in 2022. I say this as a massive fan of slash, AL and WoF. completely agree that he tries to almost defend the music with it being 'raw and live' when in reality he wrote 12 riffs, said they'll do, myles instantly put words to them they went to the studio banged out a days rehearsal then recorded it in 4 days, even done the videos and photo ops all at the same time and released.

Whilst Axl is ridiculous and the complete other end of the spectrum, there is a happy middle ground between the 2!

3 minutes ago, WildStar said:

He's not working with Fred Durst 

Now that is a collaboration I would love to see

• Like 2