Russia Invades Ukraine

Gibson87

1 hour ago, -Jaro- said:

Don't know what to think. Video and situation is just strange. Had war in my cointry and never saw cars and tanks driving side by side casualy... 

There are videos on twitter of Ukrainians coming up to Russian army and just asking them questions like: 

"hey is it safe to go there?"

"yes, just some tanks passing by"

It's very strange

2 minutes ago, Nicklord said:

There are videos on twitter of Ukrainians coming up to Russian army and just asking them questions like: 

"hey is it safe to go there?"

"yes, just some tanks passing by"

It's very strange

Why is that strange? The Russian army isn't out to kill civilians. 

2 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Why is that strange? The Russian army isn't out to kill civilians. 

I hope you're joking. Just seen a video with a tank running over a passenger car on purpose on an empty street. Nothing incidental about that, the tank just went out of its way on purpose. Plus the bombs falling on residential areas? Have you seen the news? Or was it just trolling? 

1 minute ago, jamillos said:

I hope you're joking. Just seen a video with a tank running over a passenger car on purpose on an empty street. Nothing incidental about that, the tank just went out of its way on purpose. Plus the bombs falling on residential areas? Have you seen the news? Or was it just trolling? 

yes. plus they just bombed the shit out of hospitals, kindergarten and civilian shelter. they repeatedly hit residential areas with rockets. fuck those bastards. war criminal Putler deserves to end like Gaddafi, murdered by his own people preferably.

• Like 2

Just now, jamillos said:

Why would I be trolling about something like this?
Do you think Putin invaded Ukraine to start a massacre? He wants Ukraine and the Ukrainian people to be part of Russia like he probably wants most countries that belonged to the Soviet Union. Of course there will be casualties, it's a war, but that's not their goal. So no, I don't think it's strange that a Ukrainian civilian can go up to a Russian soldier without something happening.

• Like 1

Putin is in 70s. It's a little late to try take over the world isn't it? Some think he's not in good health. Based upon recent events I'd say they're probably right. 

Sanctions are good and all, but it won't do anything. China already has Russia's back and that's all they need. Once again China has the chance to be on the right side of history and they don't take it.

Just now, arnold layne said:

Putin is in 70s. It's a little late to try take over the world isn't it? Some think he's not in good health. Based upon recent events I'd say they're probably right. 

Sanctions are good and all, but it won't do anything. China already has Russia's back and that's all they need. Once again China has the chance to be on the right side of history and they don't take it.

they want to do the same thing with Taiwan Republic of China soon, that's why.

Edited by zombux

I'm not saying that Putin's Invasion is right (it's not) but you all forgot the civil war from 2014 until now. The government in Kiew has killed their own people and russian minorities. What Putin does is wrong but we shouldn't forget where the trouble started. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I'm not saying that Putin's Invasion is right (it's not) but you all forgot the civil war from 2014 until now. The government in Kiew has killed their own people and russian minorities. What Putin does is wrong but we shouldn't forget where the trouble started. 

That's revisionist putin-talk, my friend.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Sosso said:

That is just russian propaganda talk. Independent international organizations monitored the situation in Donbass since 2014 and have never seen anything close to the genocide which Putin claims happened there 

13 minutes ago, SAU3R said:

If that’s true it would make him even more dangerous, because then he had nothing to lose 

it might be that he's old and wants to finally leave a huge mark in the history books, and make sure the old SSSR is restored before he dies.

psychopathic bastard.

Just went through the thread and removed a lot of posts that included personal insults.

I get this is a sensitive subject, but please be respectful to each other.

———————————-

What is Putin’s end game?

This is what I can’t get my head around…

Say he installs a puppet regime.  Does he think it can sustain?  It didn’t in 2004 and 2014.  It will take perpetual military occupation to keep the government he wants.  Does Russia have the financial means and resolve for that kind of commitment?

This strikes me as though Putin’a actions this week come from a position of weakness rather than strength.  It’s nothing but short-term calculations.  I keep reading that Putin is playing the long game but I honestly can’t see where this ends up other than a protracted fight that further isolates Russia politically and cripples their economy. 

This feels like Putin is playing checkers, not chess.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, downzy said:

What is Putin’s end game?

This is what I can’t get my head around…

Say he installs a puppet regime.  Does he think it can sustain?  It didn’t in 2004 and 2014.  It will take perpetual military occupation to keep the government he wants.  Does Russia have the financial means and resolve to that kind of commitment?

This strikes me as though Putin’a actions this week come from a position of weakness rather than strength.  It’s nothing but short-term calculations.  I keep reading that Putin is playing the long game but I honestly can’t see where this ends up other than a protracted fight that further isolates Russia politically and cripples their economy. 

This feels like Putin is playing checkers, not chess.

very hard to guess. it also A LOT depends on how the ukrainian folks are willing to resist in case of military defeat. holding UA down with military might could be economically devastating for the occupant, but it's hardly possible to fight tanks with bare hands :( 

Just now, zombux said:

very hard to guess. it also A LOT depends on how the ukrainian folks are willing to resist in case of military defeat. holding UA down with military might could be economically devastating for the occupant, but it's hardly possible to fight tanks with bare hands :( 

No, but I’m sure the US and allies will supply Ukrainian reactionary forces with supplies similar to the Soviet’s occupation of Afghanistan.

The initial invasion in many ways is the easy part.  One-third or more of Ukraine’s population has no memories of living under Soviet-Russian rule. I have a hard time believing they’ll simply give up. 

I think this is just Putin biding time with respect to his own grip of his country.  Russians have shown increasing unhappiness with Putin’s rule of late.  He can’t have a viable democratic former satellite state on Russia’s doorstep providing an alternative example to his subjects.   He’s also likely trying to send a message to other “loyal” neighbouring nations (Belarus) not to get any ideas that they can rid themselves of their Russian friendly leaders like Ukraine has done twice in the last two decades. 

This is why I think this has little to nothing to do with NATO.  Putin’s actions seem to correspond to efforts to democratize neighbouring countries and less to do with NATO expansion.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grouse said:

I just saw the video of president Zelensky in wich he states that he and his ministers are staying in Kyiv and are ready to fight. This man's balls must be made of titanium! 

When is the last time that an actual leader of a country pretty much led his troops into battle? That is some middle age stuff right there, damn.

The man is basically dying for democracy, while the rest of democratic europe is arguing and bitching about wether or not to implement strict sanctions.

correct.

meanwhile the invader horde is already threatening Finland and Sweden with military action.

The EU has sanctioned Putin directly now. Good for them.

This whole thing is one big mess. Russia wants Ukraine but they just keep bombing them and destroying the whole country. Seeing those people fighting for their freedom is both inspiring and heartbreaking since they are losing everything and probably will be taken over by Russia any minute now.

Since in 2014 they overthrew that regime, I only hope that they will do the same and defeat Russia and get their freedom and country back.

It still shocks me that Russia actually made this move. WTF? 

Now waiting for China to make a move on Taiwan.

4 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Since in 2014 they overthrew that regime, I only hope that they will do the same and defeat Russia and get their freedom and country back.

they pretty much already stepped away from the old regime in 2004.

and yes, horde wants to annect them, but they are fighting for their freedom now.

sadly also for ours and they are losing.

2 hours ago, zombux said:

Germany has just expressed that they are open to cutting the invading horde from SWIFT. I hope they at least finally start doing right things.

Problem with cancelling Russia from swift is, that it will affect the Russian population probably worse than the regime itself. I feel the call for swift is more of a symbolic gesture people call for, but it might not be the most effective. Despite, Putin already found ways to regulate his financances without swift anyway