1. 1. GN'R Lies Survivor Round 3

• Nice Boys
    • Move to the City
    • Patience
    • Used to Love Her
    • You're Crazy
    • One in a Million

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/06/2022 at 09:50 PM

We've lost touch with...

Mama Kin....which is gone!

Which song will be next to go?

Round 1 - Reckless Life
Round 2 - Mama Kin
Round 3 - ???
Round 4 - ???
Round 5 - ???
Round 6 - ???
Round 7 - ???
Round 8 - ???

HOW IT WORKS: Each round, you vote for your LEAST FAVORITE of the options. The option with the most votes gets eliminated in the next round, and so on, until only one song remains.

Edited by History2010

Not exactly upset that mama Kin went in the last round because yes it’s a good song and GNR did a good version of it, but it’s a cover. I again voted for OIAM for the reason I’ve stated previously. I actually listened to lies yesterday evening and I listened to OIAM and two things. 1. Those lyrics Axl sings get worse, and 2 I got angrier because the song musically is amazing. That bugged me. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

I love One in a Million, not because I approve of Axl saying what he said but because my understanding since the very first listen is that it's not malicious, it's a raw, warts and all cautionary tale about someone beginning to - but struggling - to confront and let go of their misguided bullshit that they were raised on.

And to quote Tommy lee Jones from men in black 

A *person* is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals and you know it. 

I don’t understand people who think Axl was just “playing a character” on OIAM. To me, the song feels so authentic to the way Axl felt at the time that it almost hurts.

From Wikipedia:

By 1992, however, Rose seemed to have gained new perspective on the song and its lyrics. "I was pissed off about some black people that were trying to rob me," he said. "I wanted to insult those particular black people." In his final public comments about "One in a Million" in 1992, Rose stated, "It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable I felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life."

That being said, I'll still listen to the song knowing his thoughts on the matter have changed. Although certainly not in a public place...

Edited by LlamaRenegade
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have less problems with Axl attacking certain black people and using that N word (I don't consider that an attack on all black people even if he used that word) than with his blanket attack on gays (something he got less flak for at the time and which he never to the say extent reconciled with, although Axl today obviously doesn't seem to be homophobic) and his anti immigration rant. That being said, I can admire and appreciate art even when I don't agree with the artists views. The song is much more than Axl views at that time.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, LlamaRenegade said:

I don’t understand people who think Axl was just “playing a character” on OIAM. To me, the song feels so authentic to the way Axl felt at the time that it almost hurts.

From Wikipedia:

By 1992, however, Rose seemed to have gained new perspective on the song and its lyrics. "I was pissed off about some black people that were trying to rob me," he said. "I wanted to insult those particular black people." In his final public comments about "One in a Million" in 1992, Rose stated, "It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable I felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life."

That being said, I'll still listen to the song knowing his thoughts on the matter have changed. Although certainly not in a public place...

I'm not sure if Axl or if it was just one of the other members of the band but the character thing was floated in response to the outrage

If you want to know what Axl has said to defend the lyrics of One In A Million, how the band members changed their stance as media got involved, how KKK embraced the song, Slash's long letter to RIP magazine, Axl's apology, and the song in hindsight, read here: 

(49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com) (Racism accusations)

(49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com) (Homophobia accusations)

That's what the history section at A4D is for.

Edited by SoulMonster
  • Like 1

I never fully know what to think about OIAM. There's a certain 'meta-ness' (not sure if actually a word :lol:) to it.

It's as though he's writing about himself at the time, how he thinks and perceives the world as he steps fresh of the bus from the Midwest but he has a level of self awareness that maybe he's not very worldly and thinks this way because he's a small town white boy.

There's some evidence that as he's grown into a more worldly person. As someone who has had the opportunity to travel widely and experience many different cultures he's perhaps readjusted his world view. 

I dunno though. It's not like I actually know him and he rarely speaks at length these days.

6 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

One In A Million, can't believe the lyrics don't bother more people.

They don't bother me.  According to Axl, they're from the view of the character in the song, not him. 

Many other artists have written from someone else's perspective.   

• Like 2