1. 1. GN'R Lies Survivor Round 3

• Nice Boys
    • Move to the City
    • Patience
    • Used to Love Her
    • You're Crazy
    • One in a Million

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/06/2022 at 09:50 PM

10 hours ago, SoundOfAGun said:

One In A Million, can't believe the lyrics don't bother more people.

I’m a gay man and don’t mind it at all. I can see how other people in the LGBT community wouldn’t like it, but me personally I don’t let small things like that bother me. As they say, I have bigger fish to fry. 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, LlamaRenegade said:

I don’t understand people who think Axl was just “playing a character” on OIAM. To me, the song feels so authentic to the way Axl felt at the time that it almost hurts.

From Wikipedia:

By 1992, however, Rose seemed to have gained new perspective on the song and its lyrics. "I was pissed off about some black people that were trying to rob me," he said. "I wanted to insult those particular black people." In his final public comments about "One in a Million" in 1992, Rose stated, "It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable I felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life."

That being said, I'll still listen to the song knowing his thoughts on the matter have changed. Although certainly not in a public place...

Yeah, was definitely just an excuse thought up later to take the heat off. Can hear pretty clearly in the song what the intent was and what he's saying, you don't need to try and look for some deeper meaning that isn't there. If you still enjoy it fine but if you need an excuse like that to do then maybe you're just trying to make the song something it's not to justify listening to it.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Posting this here, too.

Axl might have been writing from the perspective of a character, but that character was himself as he came to the big city. As far as I know, Axl never excused himself by arguing that he was writing from another person's perspective, that it was the views of some fictional character and that it wasn't a reflection of his own opinions. In that sense, he owned the lyrics. [It was Duff who would later claim it was written from a third person's experience.]

But Axl did argue that the he didn't mean to insult all black people and that his previous homophobia was a result of past experiences. He also said that the song came out much more forceful than intended. Furthermore, he knew the lyrics would be controversial and apologized on the cover of GNR Lies for generalizing and would apologize again later. Lastly, he would also claim he had changed and that the backlash has caused him to read up on black history. Because of all this, the song was never played again live (after the four, or so, initial live appearances) and Axl considered pulling it off the record but eventually decided that art came first even though he knew that would just cause him to be more criticized.

Axl from the RIP interview in 1992: "l wrote a song that was very simple and vague. (...)l think I showed that quite well from where l was at. The song most definitely was a survival mechanism. It was a way for me to express my anger at how vulnerable l felt in certain situations that had gone down in my life. It's not a song l would write now. The song is very generic and generalized, and I apologized for that on the cover of the record. Going back and reading it, it wasn't the best apology but, at the time, it was the best apology I could make."

And again, if you want to read all of this straight from the horse's mouth and not through my summary, go here: (49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com) and (49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com).

Thanks for the info and the correction.

Perhaps it was Duff's assertions that I was basing my impression from.

I didn't really get into GNR until 1991, so my initial exposure to Axl included watching him sing with Elton John at the Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert.  Plus all the photos of Axl with his bodyguard Earl.  It just always struck me as unlikely that Axl would hold such hateful views against the people he writes about in OIAM considering who he was surrounding himself with when I started paying attention.

19 hours ago, alfierose said:

Just out of interest does anyone think it's worth collating these Survivor threads in the Archive section as a series that future visitors might enjoy reading and commenting on?

Or do you think they're more a 'enjoy it then forget about it thing'?

Yes, save them - Like emoji

No, abandon them to the wilderness of D&N - Absurd emoji

Seems to be a favourable idea then. I'll start with the AFD ones then move the rest as each album is done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1