Jump to content

Would you play One in a million to non GNR fan friends ?


Recommended Posts

This thread idea stems from the conversations about the song one in a million in the GNR 
Lies survivor threads. The ideas of these threads for appetite and now lies was great btw. 
 

Anyway more than one poster made the statement that while they don’t condone the lyrics used, they being GNR fans can to some degree understand the reasons why Axl used those words or what he meant by them. That’s all well and good and I posted that quote from the movie men in black and a person being rational, and people being less so. 

Anyway, would you as a GNR fan play this song for a group of people who weren’t GNR fans, or just a group of people in general. I personally wouldn’t(along with a few other GNR songs) because while I may  be okay listening to it, that doesn’t mean that others would. I mean they’ve put stupid warnings in front of Disney classic movies because in the 21st century they see something that was never meant that way. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ha, I knew it would ignite these kinds of discussions the moment I realized OIAM is on Lies and Lies is next in line in the game! Didn’t expect a new thread, but good call. 
The answer is quite simple: Apart from personal qualities (obviously) and their GNR fandom status, it heavily depends basically on a single factor: that person’s age. What generation they’re from. That’s the key, I’m afraid. Generalizing here, of course, but that’s the gist. No need for further explanation, I think. 
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Ha, I knew it would ignite these kinds of discussions the moment I realized OIAM is on Lies and Lies is next in line in the game! Didn’t expect a new thread, but good call. 
The answer is quite simple: Apart from personal qualities (obviously) and their GNR fandom status, it heavily depends basically on a single factor: that person’s age. What generation they’re from. That’s the key, I’m afraid. Generalizing here, of course, but that’s the gist. No need for further explanation, I think. 
 

Well I didn’t want to derail the other thread which is great with a side discussion on OIAM.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Ha, I knew it would ignite these kinds of discussions the moment I realized OIAM is on Lies and Lies is next in line in the game! Didn’t expect a new thread, but good call. 
The answer is quite simple: Apart from personal qualities (obviously) and their GNR fandom status, it heavily depends basically on a single factor: that person’s age. What generation they’re from. That’s the key, I’m afraid. Generalizing here, of course, but that’s the gist. No need for further explanation, I think. 
 

 

Are we assuming the younger the person, the more offensive they'd find the song?

It's more about culture imo. I have blue collar friends that are anywhere between 20-50 who like GNR and wouldn't care if OIAM was played, whereas "woke" people would definitely be offended. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

 

Are we assuming the younger the person, the more offensive they'd find the song?

It's more about culture imo. I have blue collar friends that are anywhere between 20-50 who like GNR and wouldn't care if OIAM was played, whereas "woke" people would definitely be offended. 

Yeah my point was the younger = the woker. Like I said, generalization. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I always found it way more likely that the lyrics were "from the character", not Axl's personal view. Is there anything known that indicates something else? 

I mean, his favorite singers were always Elton and Freddie. Can't think of anything racist either.

Edited by El Guapo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

I always found it way more likely that the lyrics were "from the character", not Axl's personal view. Is there anything knows that indicates something other? 

I mean, his favorite singers were always Elton and Freddie. Can't think of anything racist either.

Plus Slash and Frank are not exactly white, are they. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely not, unless We’re talking about cringy songs or something. I remember I went to see Ghost in a GNR shirt a few years ago & a concessions worker got on my case about OIAM. I pretty much only listen to it nowadays if I’m listening to the whole Lies album. I do however, wish all the other singers who did the same thing got the same amount of hate that Axl does.

Edited by The Matinator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Depends on the context or the people. If I was with people who weren't fans but were interested in GNR discography/deep cuts I might play the whole album with an explanation that one song has since been withdrawn on later editions and why. If someone said "no, skip that song" then I'd skip it.

I wouldn't just play the song in isolation, as in "listen to this one song that features offensive language". 

I don't really play music to other people though so it's a slightly moot point for me.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I always found it way more likely that the lyrics were "from the character", not Axl's personal view. Is there anything known that indicates something else? 

I mean, his favorite singers were always Elton and Freddie. Can't think of anything racist either.

In a way like "Money for Nothing" having words that the character is saying. Still Mark Knophler changed the lytic to "Queenie" in many live performances.

I guess one could argue that the song was pretty autobiographical and therefore expressed Axl's sentiments, at least from the time period that it was written about. People are allowed to grow and change as they get older and mature.

All that said, I'd have no problem playing the song for non-fans. If I was going to play it for a black person or gay person I'd warn them first just so they don't think I wanted to surprise them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, El Guapo said:

I always found it way more likely that the lyrics were "from the character", not Axl's personal view. Is there anything known that indicates something else? 

Axl used all kinds of excuses, not so sure he talked about writing it from the perspective of as character beyond himself. Duff used that excuse, tho.

Read this: (49) 09. AUGUST-DECEMBER 1988: LIES AND THE SPOTLIGHT (a-4-d.com)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, alfierose said:

Depends on the context or the people. If I was with people who weren't fans but were interested in GNR discography/deep cuts I might play the whole album with an explanation that one song has since been withdrawn on later editions and why. If someone said "no, skip that song" then I'd skip it.

I wouldn't just play the song in isolation, as in "listen to this one song that features offensive language". 

I don't really play music to other people though so it's a slightly moot point for me.

Isn’t context on some endangered species list ? I think it is otherwise we wouldn’t have every think any of us in our thirties or older watched on TV being viewed through a modern lens and reconned to imply there is something offensive  over the lion king which is a fictional story about lions, that Aladdin is insensitive because the actors speak with American accents despite the fact it’s about a fucking blue genie and a scorerer, and flying carpet, and while they’re at it, maybe they can call the little mermaid oppressive to mermaids despite the fact mermaids are fictional. Exhales. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes I would, in a heartbeat!

its a good fucking song, music is great and his voice is amazing, mean, bitter and exploding in the end!

I was 13 when I first heard it and was blown away by the power of Axl's voice!

even thought my English wasn't good, I heard most of these troubled "words" and never thought of them as people think now. Always thought it must have been something that he has gone through

so yeah, I would definitely play it for others and it is the best song on LIES, for me!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, smokingarthur said:

Yeap. Why not? What leftist, woke, liberal swine is still up in arms over a word in a coming of age  song? 

Honestly can't tell if this post is satire or not, well done lol

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would play this song in front of others for the art of it, despite the controverse and offense that people might feel about the lyrics. It's a good song and it tells a perspective that isn't necessary coloured by all those negative thoughts from him, just a way of expression through the art of music. Vocals are amazing

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dragan1978 said:

Yes I would, in a heartbeat!

its a good fucking song, music is great and his voice is amazing, mean, bitter and exploding in the end!

I was 13 when I first heard it and was blown away by the power of Axl's voice!

even thought my English wasn't good, I heard most of these troubled "words" and never thought of them as people think now. Always thought it must have been something that he has gone through

so yeah, I would definitely play it for others and it is the best song on LIES, for me!

 

I’m not sure anyone either on the lies survivor thread or this one have disputed the musical quality of the song. It’s the lyrics that are problematic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...