Would you play One in a million to non GNR fan friends ?

32 minutes ago, TeeJay410 said:

The lyrics are outright racist and homophobic and it’s no accident that it was left out of the box set. 

Words can't be racist and homophobic. People can, though. But the young man who penned these words obviously wasn't racist (Slash is half-black and Axl's body guard was full-black), nor homophobic (two of his favorite artists of all time were gay, one of them, Elton--an openly gay man with a husband--he even performed with multiple times).

The song itself is about a confused, scared Indiana hick, trying to deal with the mind-fuck of having to move to LA and live on the streets without any help. It's a truthful window into mindset of those who are raised on bigoted, closed-minded ideals, trying to make sense of a whole new world... which makes it a great piece art, since the best art is always most truthful art.

The reason it was left off the box-set is probably because he's tired of repeating the above sentiment, and for that, I don't blame him. If it were me, and I was his age, I might just do the same.

Or I might not.

Edited by Nintari

On 3/9/2022 at 2:44 AM, janrichmond said:

Disagree. Try telling a black/gay/asian person that. 

Calling a word racist is like calling the gun someone used to kill someone a murderer. A word is not alive and does not have consciousness, therefore it can not be racist. Words can be used by a person who harbors racist viewpoints, but the word itself is just a word.

And let's not even get into intent and context.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

Calling a word racist is like calling the gun someone used to kill someone a murderer. A word is not alive and does not have consciousness, therefore it can not be racist. Words can be used by a person who harbors racist viewpoints, but the word itself is just a word.

And let's not even get into intent and context.

I think that's bollocks. 

• Like 3