What about Official videos for Chinese Democracy songs ???

41 minutes ago, MrSoftie said:

I love CD but I think a lot of the stuff could do with rerecording with the current lineup first. Cleaner production and more accurate to what they're playing live.

Of course new material should take priority..

Do you think the current line-up should re-record Chinese in its entirety? Would you buy a copy? If there was a box set released would you buy it?

• ABSUЯD 1

1 hour ago, MrSoftie said:

I love CD but I think a lot of the stuff could do with rerecording with the current lineup first. Cleaner production and more accurate to what they're playing live.

How much cleaner can the production get 🤣 I think you mean remove some layering. I also think you're batshit crazy if you think Slash and Duff should at any point in time go in an re-record Chinese Democracy, it's excellent how it is.

As far as music videos being released now. Well there's many answers to this. No 1 they barely released a video for Absurd/Hardskool so CD material that's 14 years old is not topping the list of priorities. No 2 I'm going to stress that the album is close to anniversary package than it is to finally getting music videos released. There's no real demand from the GNR audience to see the content so it'll likely stay buried until a day comes where an archival release is ordered by band/record company.

Now... it's possible GNR just release the videos one day out of the the blue to youtube, I see no reason why they wouldn't release the video for Better when it's clearly ready.

2 hours ago, alfierose said:

They will never do a music video again that isn't either an animation or a basic lyric video. Maybe at a push we'd get a video of spliced live footage. Big budget, theatrical music videos aren't gonna happen now.

Big budget, theatrical music videos don't even really exist anymore. The money just isn't there anymore to justify them. Even the biggest artists in the world don't make videos of that size anymore. Everything is a lot cheaper and smaller scale now.

The most popular artists of today would be lucky to get a video budget of $300k from a label. A $4 million dollar video like Estranged would not be financially possible in today's music landscape.

Fun fact: when adjusted for today's inflation, the budget of Estranged today would actually be $7,782,643

Edited by History2010
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, MrSoftie said:

It's ridiculous enough that they have to rerecord Axl's Chinese leftovers instead of writing their own GnR songs.

I really don't think Slash and Duff would go even lower. Plus, it wouldn't make the material any better, probably worse.

Edited by El Guapo
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Worryingly didn't axl say in like 2012 or 2014 something along the lines of "we're still working Chinese". I used to think MJ promoting albums 2 years on still releasing singles was absurd but in axls mind still plugging and touring a 6 year old album is incredible 

I think it was in 2011, around the same time he said something like "we haven't properly toured the US yet" which was also absurd.

34 minutes ago, vloors said:

You know who gave poor promotion? Axl Rose who refused to on release.

Little to no interviews. No self promotion. No immediate touring. Add no songs on there worthy to be big commercial singles or get regular radio spins.

Axl certainly could've done more, but the album did actually get some decent promotion. I don't recall seeing too many other albums being advertised with TV spots, being given away at sports games, etc. in 2008. With the myspace stream, a song on Rock Band, a song in the latest Leo Dicaprio movie, not to mention the Skwerl incident or the Dr Pepper fiasco... the 'no promotion' thing is bullshit. But it's also ridiculous that Axl didn't do any big interviews (Billboard) until a couple months after the release, no tv or even radio interviews, and didn't tour for a year.

and lol at this topic. Blows my mind that people would want the NITL lineup to re-record CD songs - they're already doing that with the unreleased stuff and making it worse - but recording music videos for songs that were released 14 years ago is beyond even Axl's level of crazy.

• Like 3

These suggestions would've made sense in mid-2010 at the latest but that ship is long gone. I think there actually was a live performance type video shot for Better that was never released.

Music videos and some kind of televised promotion could have gone a long way but again the time to do it would have been late 2008-early 2009. Of course Axl disappeared for over 2 years publicly so it didn't happen.

• Like 1

Ummm……no…….I love Chinese. But let’s face it- it was at least 6 years too late. Probably more like 8 years. Music videos were no longer a viable promotion tool in 2008 and they certainly are not now. They barely still were in 2000 when Chinese should have been released. Music Videos and their influence really only has their moment in the 80s and 90s. 

• Like 2

18 hours ago, AtlasShrugged said:

Do you think the current line-up should re-record Chinese in its entirety? Would you buy a copy? If there was a box set released would you buy it?

No, but if they were to properly release a video for Better they should record it as they play it now, it sounds much better.

I did say new material should take priority.

5 hours ago, moreblack said:

That album cycle is long over. How goofy would they look putting out videos for an album from 2008 in 2022? That's the most out of touch thing they could possibly do.

Maybe so but if the music is up there then we should be promoting it as best we can, the album deserves proper label support.

• Haha 2

I don't know. The thing is that something recorded by that time might surface now. I think I read somewhere that they went to China or something to shoot a video for Catcher In The Rye. And remember: videos for It's So Easy and I Don't Care About You became public 30 years later. 

2 hours ago, Tio Didi said:

I don't know. The thing is that something recorded by that time might surface now. I think I read somewhere that they went to China or something to shoot a video for Catcher In The Rye. And remember: videos for It's So Easy and I Don't Care About You became public 30 years later. 

When do you think they should release the Catcher in the Rye video? Perhaps July 16th when the book was officially released all those years ago