GN'R Lies Survivor - FINAL RESULTS

History2010

The results are in...

Patience

is the best song on GN'R Lies, as decided by the members of this forum! 

The final ranking of the album, from worst to best:

Round 1 - Reckless Life
Round 2 - Mama Kin
Round 3 - Move to the City
Round 4 - Nice Boys
Round 5 - Used to Love Her
Round 6 - One in a Million
Round 7 - You're Crazy
Round 8 - Patience

Thanks to everyone who voted and participated in the threads!

Click here to vote for Use Your Illusion I Round 1

Edited by History2010
  • Thanks 2

Patience is obviously a great song but not one I’d listen to regularly, you have to be in a soppy, wistful state of mind to get into it really. If you’re not feeling loved up then not something to listen to. Whereas Nice Boys and Crazy have a feel that I can get into pretty much any time.

• Like 1

"One in a Million" making it as far as it did was like when Alabama almost elected that guy to Senate a few years back; the one who openly had relationships with young teenage women. I am, of course, glad the forum ultimately made the right choice, but the fat that it rose as high as it did still causes concern. 

In regards to the lyrics, I get - as do most people - that Axl wrote the song from the point-of-view of a character/stereotype. It does not take a genius to understand that. It does not change the fact that the lyrics have been cringe-worthy since the day the song dropped. It reminds of a teenager trying to sound edgy. Even ignoring the lyrics, I never understand the choruses of "this is a great GN'R song". To me, it's absolutely C-level alongside something like "Shotgun Blues". They have a certain tossed off charm, but are nothing I will actively seek out. 

It is telling that the band has done everything possible to simply forget this song and move on. As Slash said, it was not even a debate. 

For the record, I am all for Axl being able to release the song. I am also for people being able to call him out on it and decry the song's general mediocrity and offensiveness. 

Edited by themadcaplaughs

7 hours ago, alfierose said:

Moved the other Lies threads to the GNR Survivor section in Archives. I'll leave this one for a day for people to comment.

Well done to Patience. :headbang:

I want to thank you for making a whole section for these Survivor games! I'm really happy that they'll be easily accessible instead of just getting buried in discussions.

• GNFNR 1

3 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

"One in a Million" making it as far as it did was like when Alabama almost elected that guy to Senate a few years back; the one who openly had relationships with young teenage women. I am, of course, glad the forum ultimately made the right choice, but the fat that it rose as high as it did still causes concern. 

I was also shocked to see it do so well. I was voting for it since the very first round. But in the forums defense, some people really love the instrumentation and Axl's vocal performance. There's a whole range of interpretations about the meaning behind the lyrics, but I agree with you that the language used is absolutely detestable and immediately disqualifies the song from moving forward in my eyes.

9 minutes ago, History2010 said:

I was also shocked to see it do so well. I was voting for it since the very first round. But in the forums defense, some people really love the instrumentation and Axl's vocal performance. There's a whole range of interpretations about the meaning behind the lyrics, but I agree with you that the language used is absolutely detestable and immediately disqualifies the song from moving forward in my eyes.

Nobody here has said they agree with the lyrics. But it's a great song, with great vocals and guitars, and it's a great piece of art that (attempts to) translate the ugly and honest reactions to culture shock from a 'small town white boy'. There's no defending the lyrics, but overall it certainly evokes a reaction from the listeners, as great art does, and people who write the song off because of a few words are missing out.

• Like 3

I think for many being a GNR fan requires a separation of morals and sensibilities from art anyway. There's a lot about Axl that doesn't quite gel with my own personal world view yet he's my favourite singer so...:lol::facepalm:

I don't really know why. It just is what it is.

• Like 4