Ain' Life Grand vs It's 5 o'clock Somewhere

Kranich

5 o clock hasn't aged well to my ears. 

I remember being super excited for it's release, Slash was my favorite musician back than, loved the artwork etc.

Starting the album with Neither can I was a great idea, imo. It's so moody and builds up the excitment. Then Dime Store Rock which just rocks, sounds totally like a GnR song ala Perfect Crime, Garden of Eden...

Pretty great, but somehow apart ftom 3 to 4 songs it sounds weird to me now.

• Like 2

On 3/13/2022 at 8:09 AM, Kranich said:

Hi everyone,

Somehow I've always been avoiding Snakepit albums. However recently there was a contest in one of our polish radios in which you had to recognize Slash songs from small snippets so I listened to the records. 

Always heard a lot of praises about 5 o'clock but few about ALG. Its a tad strange to me as from these two I consider ALG to be much superior album.

Thats why I wanted to ask you a question, which one do you prefer and why?

I love both but 5 O'clock for me.

Back and Forth Again, Neither Can I, Good To Be Alive, Beggars & Hangers-on , Take It Away. Some of Slashes best work. I was lucky enough to see them live.

Why have you been avoiding them?

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

18 hours ago, CheapJon said:

ALG is faaaaaaar superior to me. Like someone else said, it's the best non-GNR Slash album. Only Contraband comes closeish. Love Rod's voice, it's a shame it didn't work out.

Yeah I wish the ALG line up had done at least one more album.

• Like 1

There is some cheese on ALG that if removed would help a lot. Take of the beats shit off mean bone. Been Here Lately Rod could dial it back some in places. Back to the Moment, Speed Parade, Ain’t Life Grand, Serial Killer, BHL, MB, the Truth all damn good. Shine is a lil cheesy rock by numbers. 

On 3/23/2022 at 6:15 AM, ToonGuns said:

Ain’t Life Grand is amazing.

I’ve said it before on here but will say it again - those two unreleased tracks from that line up that surfaced on the original promo but were cut from the final release were amazing.

Also Rusted Heroes, the japanese bonus track, is awesome

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

ALG sounds far more polished than 5 o Clock and the singing is better.

5 o clock sounded very thin in its production and the vocals were a bit shouty. I've listened to 5 o Clock a lot and connect with it more, mainly due to timing in my own life. It has some amazing moments, but its lows are lower (pun intended).

If I was to recommend an album to someone it would be ALG. Serial Killer and Back to the Moment are two great songs to highlight the album. 

• 7 months later...
On 3/23/2022 at 5:15 AM, ToonGuns said:

Ain’t Life Grand is amazing.

I’ve said it before on here but will say it again - those two unreleased tracks from that line up that surfaced on the original promo but were cut from the final release were amazing.

Bit late to the party, but I want to thank you for posting this. Long term listener and had no idea that there was unreleased stuff, quick youtube search and there are 3 amazing tracks. Made my day

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Andy1981 said:

Bit late to the party, but I want to thank you for posting this. Long term listener and had no idea that there was unreleased stuff, quick youtube search and there are 3 amazing tracks. Made my day

Haha, yep 100%!

Pleased to make your day. To be honest that Snakepit album is one of my favourite all time albums. I really wish that lineup had done more together. Slash never sounded as good. The blend of rock and blues suited him perfectly.

Out of interest what were the three tracks? The original album was 12 tracks plus four: there were two bonus tracks on the Japan release (Rusted Heroes, Something About Your Love) and two unreleased tracks from the original promo (What Kind of Life, Bleed) so 16 in total as far as I know. Just want to make sure you’re not missing one.

I really like both Snakepit albums. I also prefer them to both Velvet Revolver albums and all Slash feat Myles Kennedy And The Conspirators albums.

I'll pick It's Five O Clock Somewhere as my favourite of the two Snakepit albums. It's just got a great classic rock sound. It's got Slash, Gilby, Matt and Dizzy. It's almost the GN'R record we never got. Slash n Gilby's guitar interplay is perfect. Just like it was on Tijuana Jail and Cure Me Or Kill Me on Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars album. I love Monkey Chow which Gilby wrote and takes the lead vocal on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gunner Gilby said:

I really like both Snakepit albums. I also prefer them to both Velvet Revolver albums and all Slash feat Myles Kennedy And The Conspirators albums.

I'll pick It's Five O Clock Somewhere as my favourite of the two Snakepit albums. It's just got a great classic rock sound. It's got Slash, Gilby, Matt and Dizzy. It's almost the GN'R record we never got. Slash n Gilby's guitar interplay is perfect. Just like it was on Tijuana Jail and Cure Me Or Kill Me on Gilby's Pawnshop Guitars album. I love Monkey Chow which Gilby wrote and takes the lead vocal on. 

Gilby does not sing lead vocals on Monkey Chow…

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Yes he does.

I listened to it just now and I hear Eric singing, not Gilby. Where are you hearing Gilby?

In fact, if you look up the band’s Buenos Aires gig from 1995, you can clearly see that it’s Eric singing that song.

Edited by rocknroll41

5 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I listened to it just now and I hear Eric singing, not Gilby. Where are you hearing Gilby?

In fact, if you look up the band’s Buenos Aires gig from 1995, you can clearly see that it’s Eric singing that song.

Listen to Gilby sing it on 99 Live or any Gilby solo YouTube performance of it and it sounds like the lead vocal on the Snakepit album. To me it sounds like Eric on the chorus vocals but Gilby on lead.

3 hours ago, Ralphelmo said:

Indeed, even though Eric's voice is kinda processed, it is still him. But Gilby indeed takes the whole writer credit for this song.

But why process his vocals for just one track? It sounds like Eric on the chorus but Gilby singing lead.

2 minutes ago, Gunner Gilby said:

Listen to Gilby sing it on 99 Live or any Gilby solo YouTube performance of it and it sounds like the lead vocal on the Snakepit album. To me it sounds like Eric on the chorus vocals but Gilby on lead.

but the studio version of Monkey Chow is sung by Dover.,.

• Like 1