Will Smith punches Chris Rock at Oscars

The whole internet seems to be a bit divided right now. Some people say it’s Chris’s fault for the joke he made (Jada is bald due to a medical condition apparently) while others say it’s Will’s fault for throwing the punch.

Edited by rocknroll41

3 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

The whole internet seems to be a bit divided right now. Some people say it’s Chris’s fault for the joke he made (Jada is bald due to a medical condition apparently) while others say it’s Will’s fault for throwing the punch.

Well, I guess they're both a bit at fault. Since when is it right to make fun of someone's appearance? Kinda asking for it, especially when the husband sits in front of you. On the other hand though, do people know she's apparently not bald by choice but apparently due to a medical condition? She looked great though. Can't assume everyone knows and hit everyone on the mouth, who talks about it. But anyway, where was the delay? Had that worked, Rock could just have ducked. :P

Edited by PatrickS77

Will Smith is a very sad man. It was a joke. Doesn't matter if its about appearances or not.  A joke is a joke.  Take it like a man and not like a narcassistic psychopath who thinks he needs to defend his wife's honour in front of a billion people by smacking the host. So pathetic. 

Especially since Will Smith was laughing at the joke at first as well.

Edited by Stay.Of.Execution

3 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Will Smith is a very sad man. It was a joke. Doesn't matter if its about appearances or not.  A joke is a joke.  Take it like a man and not like a narcassistic psychopath who thinks he needs to defend his wife's honour in front of a billion people by smacking the host. So pathetic. 

I don't agree. I think everyone is free to joke about whatever they want, no matter how offensive or tasteless it is, but then you should also accept the consequences.
I don't approve of violence, but a slap in the face when someone makes fun of your wife's illness isn't exactly extreme either.
It's not like he beat him up or pulled a knife on him.

• Like 1

Just now, Stay.Of.Execution said:

It's not like she has cancer or something. She's losing hair, big deal. Will's reaction is just a prime example of toxic masculinity. The tough guy has to defend his wife from a joke.  Ridiculous

Who are you to judge how big of a deal it is? It might be a very big deal to her.

1 minute ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Maybe, but still. If we start slapping every comedian for a joke we don't like.. come on. That's just pathetic. 

I'm trying to look at it from her point of view. Maybe she's been dealing and suffering with this illness for a long time, and then she's sitting there with her bald head and Rock makes a silly joke in front of millions of people worldwide, about the exact thing she's been struggling with and insecure about. So the husband slaps the guy. You can say he's pathetic or that it's a ''prime example of toxic masculinity'' as you put it, but I don't see it that way. I mean, big deal really, it's just a slap. He didn't knock him unconscious or anything.

Of course, I don't know about any of this, but neither do you, so to immediately judge someone like this, doesn't make much sense to me either.

What i'm seeing is a guy slapping a TV host in front of millions of people for making a joke. The same guy that just laughed about the same joke a few seconds earlier, now he has to defend his wife's honour. From an entertainment point of view it was fun to watch, but for me Will Smith showed what a small guy he is. If he was a smart man, he would've taken a shot at Chris Rock during his speech, instead he started crying like a little bitch.

10 minutes ago, EvanG said:

I'm trying to look at it from her point of view. Maybe she's been dealing and suffering with this illness for a long time, and then she's sitting there with her bald head and Rock makes a silly joke in front of millions of people worldwide, about the exact thing she's been struggling with and insecure about. So the husband slaps the guy. You can say he's pathetic or that it's a ''prime example of toxic masculinity'' as you put it, but I don't see it that way. I mean, big deal really, it's just a slap. He didn't knock him unconscious or anything.

Of course, I don't know about any of this, but neither do you, so to immediately judge someone like this, doesn't make much sense to me either.

And Will Smith sits there and laughs too? Not a second of concern or look towards his wife to see what she thinks of it? Watch the video. You always put those scenarios into things that seem not really there. Just like in the Djokovic case. If your suggested situation applies, it's odd that he just laughed, without even looking at her. Also, how do you know that Rock knew about her medical condition?? It looked like a spontanious joke, without much thought. But yes, apparently she didn't find it funy from the getgo. It's just Smith's reaction that is strange (if not somewhat understandable, considering how his wife might feel).

Edited by PatrickS77

8 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

What i'm seeing is a guy slapping a TV host in front of millions of people for making a joke. The same guy that just laughed about the same joke a few seconds earlier, now he has to defend his wife's honour. From an entertainment point of view it was fun to watch, but for me Will Smith showed what a small guy he is. If he was a smart man, he would've taken a shot at Chris Rock during his speech, instead he started crying like a little bitch.

I think, had he not laughed about it seconds before, he wouldn't come off as such a douche. Not to say that Rock doesn't come off as a douche too.

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

And Will Smith sits there and laughs too? Not a second of concern or look towards his wife to see what she thinks of it? Watch the video. You always put those scenarios into things that seem not really there. Just like in the Djokovic case. If your situation applies, I don't think he would have just laughed, without even looking at her. Also, how do you know that Rock knew about her medical condition??

Unlike you, I don't make assumptions about things I don't know enough about. 
Should I make the Aerosmith example too in which you made assumptions without knowing the facts?
You did the same thing during the Djokovic saga. You had already condemned the guy without knowing what had happened.

11 minutes ago, EvanG said:

Unlike you, I don't make assumptions about things I don't know enough about. 
Should I make the Aerosmith example too in which you made assumptions without knowing the facts?
You did the same thing during the Djokovic saga. You had already condemned the guy without knowing what had happened.

The Djokovic Saga has pretty much been documented and many things don't add up. With Aerosmith it is fact they cancelled when they didn't need to. It's also fact they cancelled to do something more lucrative and worth their time.
And yes, you were making assumptions about Djokovic, Aerosmith and Jada/Will. Excusing and absolving them. ;)

Edited by PatrickS77

9 minutes ago, PatrickS77 said:

The Djokovic Saga has pretty much been documented and many things not adding up. With Aerosmith it is fact they cancelled when they didn't need to. It's also fact they cancelled to do something more lucrative and worth their time.

Nonsense. You had already judged him before all the information from Tennis Australia (who had fucked up and told Djokovic he could play) had come out.
With Aerosmith you claimed to know their residency is a moneygrab based on absolutely nothing.
You hadn't even checked their reasoning or Brad's story about his struggles with touring due to age.
I've seen you do this a lot on this forum. Making assumptions without any evidence or facts.

Edited by EvanG