• Yesterdays
    • Breakdown
    • Pretty Tied Up
    • Locomotive
    • Estranged
    • You Could Be Mine
    • Don't Cry (Alternate Lyrics)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/30/2022 at 06:00 AM

We put this song in the ground, we can't hear it anymore!

Knockin' on Heaven's Door...is gone!

Which song will be next to go?

Round 1 - My World
Round 2 - Shotgun Blues
Round 3 - So Fine
Round 4 - Get In The Ring
Round 5 - Knockin' on Heaven's Door
Round 6 - ???
Round 7 - ???
Round 8 - ???
Round 9 - ???
Round 10 - ???
Round 11 - ???
Round 12 - ???
Round 13 - ???
Round 14 - ???

HOW IT WORKS: Each round, you vote for your LEAST FAVORITE of the options. The option with the most votes gets eliminated in the next round, and so on, until only one song remains.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 1

Locomotive. Just because a song is 10 minutes long doesn't mean it's "epic", or good for that matter :lol:

/jk, I don't mind it, it's just my least favourite of the bunch that are left.

Edited by willl
  • Like 1

Just now, adamsapple said:

I understand it's all just a silly little game to pass some time of no news round here...but...sorry...I just have to stand up here.

Imagine, just for a moment, Axl says ok people pick a song or two and we gonna play it in concert and in the year 2022 you guys REALLY would want lyrics like:

"I know this chick she lives down on Melrose / She ain't satisfied without some pain / She's pretty tied up hangin' upside down and you can ride her..."

over this:

"I've come to know the cold
I think of it as home
When there ain't enough of me
To go around
I'd rather be left alone
But if I call you out of habit
I'm out of love and I gotta have it
Would you give it to me
If I fit your needs
Like when we both knew we had it
But now the damage's done
And we're back out on the run
Funny how everything was roses
When we held on to the guns

Just because you're winnin'
Don't mean you're the lucky one"

???

Breakdown is by far the most underrated and underappreciated GN'R tune ever. The lyrics are beautiful and music wise it is perhaps one of the most progressive and daring rock tracks of its time, certainly a highlight in the bands entire catalogue. Axl was in full on genius mode when he wrote that song, taking a page out of the country book, giving it a kick in the ass while at the same time writing it a love letter and taking it all to the next level. The recording embodies the "free spirit", "fuck all" and "larger than life" aspect of the UYI era like no other tune, so "tight but loose", so full of heart and soul and honesty. It sounds as if the band would fall apart any second but then somehow gets their shit together to pull it off.

It is the one song I crave them to perform live the most. For decades now, that is.

I can totally see someone prefering YCBM, Civil War, Estranged or Locomotive over Breakdown. Other than that, there is no contest on UYI. I think you can argue taste, And I think you should. After all these years, Breakdown remains an absolute treasure and for me it belongs in the top 10 GNR songs ever.

But then again, round here people have voted off SCOM from AFD quite early, perhaps due to it being overplayed and its half assed live performances, even though that doesn't change the fact that it's by far the best song on the entire fucking album not short of amazing material. And now it looks like it's gonna be PTU over Breakdown? No wonder Axl doesn't give two shits about writing songs with an edge, soul and depth anymore.

If you don't like Breakdown, fair enough. I love it.

Breakdown is great, I'm very surprised it has more votes than 14 Years, Yesterdays and Pretty Tied Up. The only bad part is Axl's speech over the outro solo, but the rest of the song is awesome.

Definitely disagree about SCOM though. It's a great song, but AFD is full of great songs, and SCOM was voted out around the mid-way mark, as it should've been.