Why prime Axl was the best frontman ever

• Stay.Of.Execution changed the title to Why prime Axl was the best frontman ever
9 hours ago, Kelmi said:

He was hungry for success and recognition. That also happened in 2006 till 2010 when he was about to release Chinese Democracy. He had something to prove and performances were amazing. Also happened with acdc shows.. amazing vocals and performances.

What could spark the hunger again?

ACDC asking him to come back and or a new full GNR album. If the songs actually got any radio exposure, I feel like it would motivate him to up his live performance. I thought that on the last tour, he really gave a lot of effort. He got better as the tour progressed, but not to the levels we’ve seen before. At 60, maybe it’s unrealistic to think he’ll ever get back to any of those previous Axl levels. But I remember thinking he was done at the 02’ vma’s only to get my mind blown when I saw them in Pittsburgh a few months later. I thought it was over after the 06-07’ tour, amd he came back with a vengeance in 2010. Then rio 2011 seemed like tjat was going to be it, game over. But he pulled off a decent US tour that fall and an up and down up close and personal tour. Then a few Sporadic festivals and then the vegas residency seemed like the final nail in the coffin. Then in 2016, he was back for both Guns and ACDC. Both shows were great, and he sounded the best he did since 06-10. So, even though it’s seems highly unlikely that he’ll be able to get back to beast mode at 60, over the last 20 years I’ve learned to never count him out. Because that’s when he pulls a 2 minute drill Tom Brady performance and blows our minds. Well at least mine and Sebastian Bach’s lol. 

Edited by mikeman5150
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, King_Johnny said:

I've always wondered what Tom was thinking during this performance.

At one extreme he could be thinking this is amazing, or at the other extreme he could be pissed off or embarrassed at how he's being completely schooled in how to sing his own song :lol:

Or maybe he was thinking what Axl is doing is too much and over the top for his song? 

I would really like to know as well what he was thinking about the performance.

I personally love everything about it, Petty, Axl, the tune, the other musicians, I've seen it so many times and it's always pure awesomeness! 

9 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Or maybe he was thinking what Axl is doing is too much and over the top for his song? 

I would really like to know as well what he was thinking about the performance.

I personally love everything about it, Petty, Axl, the tune, the other musicians, I've seen it so many times and it's always pure awesomeness! 

it looked like he loved it and really admired Axl's talent and vocal ability

• Like 2

On 3/31/2022 at 5:05 PM, Kelmi said:

He was hungry for success and recognition. That also happened in 2006 till 2010 when he was about to release Chinese Democracy. He had something to prove and performances were amazing. Also happened with acdc shows.. amazing vocals and performances.

What could spark the hunger again?

To quote Axl, "it's easy to be hungry, when you ain't got shit to lose."

16 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Same. I even bought some kind of weird Tom Petty bootleg vinyl 'cause this version was on it in not so great quality.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

There’s hundreds of examples of Axl showing why he is up there with the best, that Tom Petty song absolutely one of them.

For me, the Freddie Mercury tribute show encapsulated everything amazing about Axl in just a few short minutes. In my opinion anyway, he came on and stood out as the brightest of stars on a night shared by a whole galaxy of stars on stage. Incredible timing, vocals and stage presence and to think he didn’t even do any rehearsal for it.

I watched this live, I was going to see GNR in a few weeks and I was hoping my parents wouldn’t see Axl’s Jesus tshirt. “They fucking ruined that song” was the only comment made (KOHD) by my father. 

Axl stole the show for certain with Queen, and GNR were great on the day, but so were Metallica. 

Prime Axl Rose was one of the great frontmen, not the best ever, but one of the greatest for sure. Seeing him in 92, I can’t say he was more magnetic than Stayley/Cobain/Gallagher/Stipe or any of the others I saw in those years.

GNR weren’t “Axlised” in the prime years, the band was the attraction, not because he was frontman. From the get go it was a Mick/Keef type thing with Axl/Slash having equal billing within the band as far as fans were concerned.  

I’d swap my 92 GnR gig with Axl as frontman for a Doors gig with Morrison on vocals in a flash.  

I prefer a frontman like Lemmy. He just did his 2,500 gigs over 40 years like a soldier. Always on time and always delivered.