Why prime Axl was the best frontman ever

19 hours ago, thunderram said:

Removing each individual’s personal taste regarding vocal style and musical taste, no frontman during that time matched AXL’s level of high energy, aggression, emotion, and immersion into each and every song. And anyone that did, didn’t do so as consistently as AXL did from night to night.

Nobody roamed, ran around all over the stage, utilized mic stands and thrashed danced like AXL. Nobody.

David Lee Roth from a decade earlier was the closest match in terms of stage performance and physicality. But in no way was he invested in the song and lyrics the same way.

Spot on Dude right there! And we saw hints of this again in especially the south America leg of GN'R in 2010 but also in the Tokyo 2009 show. I agree with many that say 2006 was his comeback year based on performances but in 2010 he came very near his prime with all the passion, effort and energy he put in the songs during his performances! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

In my eyes Axl 1987-90 was the greatest frontman in the world and possibly of all time.. Couldn't be touched on many levels. 

I'd extend that to 1991, at least the first US and European legs when Izzy was still in the band, before the UYI albums were out and the horn section etc. was introduced to the band.

But yea, '87-91 Axl was untouchable.

• Like 1

axl live back then was like a religion experience , i mean it doesn t matter the songs so much as the interpretation he does. I mean he could take any song and put the heart in it, and you could feel the exact sensation as the argentinos feels when the national football team score a goal in the mundial, what a legend the dude was in those days 

Just now, darkside259 said:

axl live back then was like a religion experience , i mean it doesn t matter the songs so much as the interpretation he does. I mean he could take any song and put the heart in it, and you could feel the exact sensation as the argentinos feels when the national football team score a goal in the mundial, what a legend the dude was in those days 

he could make a legendary intro for sweet child o mine and decide that the end of the song is going to be a crazy epic thing like wtf , reminds me when he does that high pitch rasp in nightrain oasaka 2009 SUCH EPIC MOMENT like those were common in axl 80s 90s

• Like 1

6 hours ago, darkside259 said:

he could make a legendary intro for sweet child o mine and decide that the end of the song is going to be a crazy epic thing like wtf , reminds me when he does that high pitch rasp in nightrain oasaka 2009 SUCH EPIC MOMENT like those were common in axl 80s 90s

The nightrain from Oasaka was insane! One of his best. He pushed his voice to the redline for sure! 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2022 at 10:54 AM, Powderfinger said:

I watched this live, I was going to see GNR in a few weeks and I was hoping my parents wouldn’t see Axl’s Jesus tshirt. “They fucking ruined that song” was the only comment made (KOHD) by my father. 

Axl stole the show for certain with Queen, and GNR were great on the day, but so were Metallica. 

Prime Axl Rose was one of the great frontmen, not the best ever, but one of the greatest for sure. Seeing him in 92, I can’t say he was more magnetic than Stayley/Cobain/Gallagher/Stipe or any of the others I saw in those years.

GNR weren’t “Axlised” in the prime years, the band was the attraction, not because he was frontman. From the get go it was a Mick/Keef type thing with Axl/Slash having equal billing within the band as far as fans were concerned.  

I’d swap my 92 GnR gig with Axl as frontman for a Doors gig with Morrison on vocals in a flash.  

I prefer a frontman like Lemmy. He just did his 2,500 gigs over 40 years like a soldier. Always on time and always delivered. 

I've seen the guys you mentioned. Cobain was average to see live for me. Cornell in a small club in the 90's was powerful. But I still think Axl beats them all. But that's just me. 

Interesting point you raise though, what you would swap for seeing Axl in his prime. I'd probably not swap my early 90's Axl/Gnr show for anything. Maybe the Rolling Stones or Queen in their prime.

And yes, Lemmy is the God of frontmen. They don't come tougher or more durable than that dude. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DownUnderScott said:

I've seen the guys you mentioned. Cobain was average to see live for me. Cornell in a small club in the 90's was powerful. But I still think Axl beats them all. But that's just me. 

Of the Grunge guys I saw live, I’d rank them Stayley, Lanegan, Cobain, Cornell. I saw AiC in a small club and Layne was a beast live, thunderous voice. 

Interesting point you raise though, what you would swap for seeing Axl in his prime. I'd probably not swap my early 90's Axl/Gnr show for anything. Maybe the Rolling Stones or Queen in their prime.

IF I’d saw GNR with Izzy, or if I’d seen them in a club, that would be hard to swap, but I caught them in 92. 

The nights Axl was the best frontman in the world were plenty, the element of danger he brought to those early gigs killed all opposition for a few years, but lots of frontmen are magnetic for a few years. GNR as I get older seem more and more of a certain time, so I’m coming from that place. 

And yes, Lemmy is the God of frontmen. They don't come tougher or more durable than that dude. 

ALL HAIL LEMMY. 

• Like 1