• Buick Makane (Big Dumb Sex)
    • Hair of the Dog
    • Attitude
    • Black Leather
    • You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory
    • I Don't Care About You
    • Look at Your Game, Girl

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/07/2022 at 06:00 AM

Truly stunned at how much people hate "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory". Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care for it either, but it certainly doesn't inspire in me the vitriol it seems to for others. I voted out the Manson song this round. My next choice would have to be "Raw Power". I just find it mediocre in just about every way. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Truly stunned at how much people hate "You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory". Don't get me wrong, I don't particularly care for it either, but it certainly doesn't inspire in me the vitriol it seems to for others. I voted out the Manson song this round. My next choice would have to be "Raw Power". I just find it mediocre in just about every way. 

I think Raw power it's kinda cool 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nintari said:

Since I Don't Have You needs to go, now. It isn't a punk/rock song, it was likely only added to create a single, and it's just extraordinarily cringe. 

We could get into a 'what is punk' argument. I'd argue it's punk rock to put that song on the album when it was obviously going to be an obvious punching bag.

Songs great, performance is great. End of story. It's not like GNR were against writing soppy ballads before SIDHY

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Tom2112 said:

We could get into a 'what is punk' argument. I'd argue it's punk rock to put that song on the album when it was obviously going to be an obvious punching bag.

Songs great, performance is great. End of story. It's not like GNR were against writing soppy ballads before SIDHY

the inclusion of it might be in the spirit of it, but it's not in the genre of punk. Anyway, I don't think it was created just so they'll have a single or that every song on the album had to be a punk song. Seems like every member just picked tunes they would like to cover. The Manson tune also isn't punk but that's a much more punk move to include that one on there imo.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

the inclusion of it might be in the spirit of it, but it's not in the genre of punk. Anyway, I don't think it was created just so they'll have a single or that every song on the album had to be a punk song. Seems like every member just picked tunes they would like to cover. The Manson tune also isn't punk but that's a much more punk move to include that one on there imo.

SIDHY is clearly not a punk song in style. Hair of the dog isn't punk as you say it was just who wants to do what and they just slapped it together. 

To me SIDHY is amazing. Possibly my favourite Axl vocal of all.

28 minutes ago, Sosso said:

I don't think that album was announced as a punk rock album

Slash (or was it Axl? <_<) said in an Interview that they were gonna release an album with punk rock covers. But does it matter? To discard a song, just because it isn't, is stupid. That said, it's hard to pick one out. Don't have any strong feelings towards that album. My favourites would be Down on the farm and Black leather. Don't really have any strong dislikes.

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

Agreed… 

The Duff lead vocal songs need to go first. 

Which ones are those? I'll vote for them first. :D

(I sure hope he doesn't sing lead on any CD2 stuff when that comes out)

I'd be OK with Tommy's Going Down though, if they keep Tommy on it. Apparently he's still cool with the band.

8 minutes ago, Ratam said:

Never heard the original.

ADMIN EDIT: YouTube Link Removed.

Just a reminder we can't link to content that was not posted by the content owner. 

For those looking for the original, use Google.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Edited by downzy
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Sosso said:

ADMIN EDIT: YouTube Link Removed.

Just a reminder we can't link to content that was not posted by the content owner. 

For those looking for the original, use Google.

Sorry for the inconvenience. 

Finally i heard it Manson original, and now i prefer the GNR version...:)

This was interesting. I don't love the Spaghetti Incident that much, but I have been playing it lately, and it sounds damn good with lots of volume. Thought there was 1 or 2 obvious tracks to vote for but looking at the tracklist, there isn't. I had no idea what the consensus was going with, either, but figured it was Look at Your Game Girl, which I actually quite like. 

Voted for Raw Power. It's not bad, just decent-meh, which could also be said about Buick Makane and Memory. 

I LOVE Human Being, Down on the Farm, and I Don't Care About You. 

Edited by axlsalinger

9 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

Slash (or was it Axl? <_<) said in an Interview that they were gonna release an album with punk rock covers. But does it matter? 

To make a punk EP was the original plan. But it ended up as a covers LP.

Axl: I want to do five records in two years. There's the next studio one (possibly a double) [what would become 'Use Your Illusions'], the live one [what would become 'Live Era'], his own solo LP plus two EPs, firstly a Punk covers record and, secondly, another acoustic set, this time with X-rated versions. And then there's the films... [RAW Magazine, May 1989]

Duff: But we have talked about doing a Punk EP. We’d probably do stuff by the likes of Fear, the Adolescents, The Sex Pistols, the sort of music we listen to before going onstage  [RAW Magazine, May 1989].

What happened was that the band recorded a bunch of covers while recording UYIs, or right after but before the release of UYI, and some of these covers got included on the UYIs (like Knockin' on Heaven's Door and Live and Let Die), leaving 6 "punk-ish" songs for a possible EP ("I Don't Care About You" (originally by Fear), "Attitude" (The Misfits), "Ain't It Fun" (Dead Boys), "Black Leather" (The Sex Pistols), "Down On The Farm" (UK Subs) and "New Rose" (The Damned)). They intended to release this 6-song EP, but since they were touring the UYIs at the time, it was difficult (see, already back then the band struggled with multitasking), What they did manage to do, though, was record more covers song while touring, and the end result then became Spaghetti.

Duff: It's not all punk rock either now. There's a T.Rex tune on there, Nazareth — it's more like some of our lesser-known influences. Because everybody goes, 'Oh yeah, Aerosmith, Led Zeppelin', but there were all these people too that people don't think about when they think of GN'R, like Iggy and the Stooges, Fear, The Sex Pistols, Damned. I sing a lot of the tracks and Slash sings for the first time too [Kerrang! July 1992].

So it didn't end up as a punk rock EP; but an album where Guns N' Roses is paying respect to band or songs that have inspired them.

Slash summarized it neatly:

Slash: Mmm... it wasn’t intentional, but if gives a better idea of our roots, that's cool. We didn't want to send a message, it was just a cover album... We started it during the sessions of the two “Use Your Illusion” albums, just as a way to relax and forget the pressure, the directives and everything that had really nothing to do with music. We turned on the amps to warm our fingers, jam, and have fun with some of these songs. We recorded three or four of them that we knew well, without any intention to make an album or even a pirate cassette. But when we sat down and listened to the tapes again, everyone in the band really liked what they heard, and we decided to make it an EP. Then we went into the studio, and the EP turned into a full album. People often call it "the punk record," which isn't really the case, even if some of the original bands were punk. These are just the G n'R versions of songs we love. Punk is just a term for an attitude, not a musical style. It is a form of determination in order to end up doing things the way you want, in your own way. The music you play doesn't matter, as long as it goes against the grain. Mozart was punk, he had the attitude! [Guitarist (France), July 1994].

For more of this (much more), see 

(45) 13. JULY-NOVEMBER 1991: USE YOUR ILLUSIONS ARE OUT, SO IS IZZY (a-4-d.com)

(45) 17. AUGUST-NOVEMBER 1993: LAWSUITS AND THE SPAGHETTI INCIDENT? (a-4-d.com)

• Like 4