[Eddie Trunk] “I have long railed against epidemic of bands using tracks. This is how bad it’s become.”

GnR Chris

Chris Jericho: “We use backing tracks for some songs, and everybody does. Unless you're Guns N' Roses… Let me rephrase that… If you're in Slash's band… Guns N' Roses has backing tracks. They have a keyboard player. It's just the way of the world right now. It doesn't mean we're not singing and not playing. If you're listening to a record, you go to a Def Leppard gig and you hear 'Pour Some Sugar On Me' that was recorded with 25 tracks of guitars, you can't just go with two guitars on stage and in your right mind think there wasn't something building up the background there.

"It's just kind of the way that bands are. It doesn't make you any less of a band. 'Cause you know what? Queen used tracks in the '70s. If you don't believe me, watch it when they play 'Bohemian Rhapsody' live."

Edited by GnR Chris

There should definitely be a distinction between what GNR do and what bands like these Santa Cruz cats are doing. The latter looked like fucking Spinal Tap up there on stage. 

GNR have never shied away from the effects and tracks used during live performances. The keyboardists are there for the world to see, not behind a curtain. 

For some reference: https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/guns-n-roses-melissa-reese-interview-1003943/

The gig meant [Melissa Reese] had to learn roughly 50 songs in granular detail so she could help replicate them on the stage. That includes keyboard parts along with countless tiny samples she had to create herself, like the flute flurries on “November Rain,” along with guitar parts she plays on the keyboard and various sub-bass frequencies. “I had to do an insane amount of shit, plus be able to sing backgrounds for Axl,” she says. “It’s stuff that would be hard to pick out, because I’m using sounds that are meant to enhance what’s already going on with Richard [Fortus] or another guitar part. It’s supposed to just sound bigger when I’m doing it, but it’s not supposed to stand out.”

It’s sad how many artists today just fake it on stage, and people have grown to accept it and are OK with it. It’s not just pop act anymore, and it’s flagrant.  So many rappers just talk their way through pre-recorded vocals and they don’t try to hide the low effort. New generation of concert-goers don’t seem to give a shit. And it’s  bled into all genres. 

Edited by GnR Chris
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Rovim said:

"I have long railed against..." what an insufferable and pretentious douche. Like a lot of what he says is just so he can keep staying relevant. Much more annoying than all the backing tracks in the world.

What’s crazy is he just had Jericho on his show and Eddie didn’t even bring up backing tracks. 

1 minute ago, GnR Chris said:

What’s crazy is he just had Jericho on his show and Eddie didn’t even bring up backing tracks. 

yeah I think he's a hack. He's selective about what he says and an ass kisser. Liked the 2006 Axl interview he conducted with Bach but even during that one he kinda pissed Axl off by asking him how old he was, like that was relevant or anyone who wants to know couldn't just wiki that shit.

5 hours ago, GnR Chris said:

There should definitely be a distinction between what GNR do and what bands like these Santa Cruz cats are doing. The latter looked like fucking Spinal Tap up there on stage.

That Santa Cruz video was just sad, but GNR use pre-recorded vocals sometimes too. (Mostly on CD songs but also on Locomotive). It's lame as fuck, especially when there's a good backing singer in the band, but they've been doing it for over a decade at this point.

And yea, Eddie is a douche. He's not wrong, though. Some of the best shows I've seen were smaller bands playing small venues, making mistakes throughout the show and just rocking the fuck out. You're simply not gonna get that kind of show from GNR or any other corporate rock band.