10 years ago Guns N' Roses are inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.

2 hours ago, rumandraisin said:

Axl handled it really well in that open letter saying he was dammed if he did, dammed if he didnt turn up, he was put in a crappy situation by the hall of fame IMO.

Personally, I’ll always respect that Axl stood by the then current Line-up, rather than chase easy headlines, and “exposure”.  

Meanwhile, no problem at all w/what Slash/Duff/Steven/Matt (+ Gilby) did either. Frankly, as a long-time fan, just glad they were there to acknowledge the moment, and insured it wasn’t a complete train wreck.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, AXL_N_DIZZY said:

Personally, I’ll always respect that Axl stood by the then current Line-up, rather than chase easy headlines, and “exposure”.  

Meanwhile, no problem at all w/what Slash/Duff/Steven/Matt (+ Gilby) did either. Frankly, as a long-time fan, just glad they were there to acknowledge the moment, and insured it wasn’t a complete train wreck.

My thoughts exactly. Axl made sure to thoroughly explain his predicament and apologize to the fans, the rest of the alumni (except Izzy) did a good thing by being there. 

This being said, I don't understand why people care so much about the RNRHOF, it is just a commercial thing. It is not a true representation of the greatest rock bands. It is also a very American thing. It got a lot of press coverage, not because the band was inducted into the RNRHOF, but because this was expected to be the time when the band would reunite. It was the promise, or possibility, of a reunion that made this a highly covered event around the world, and not because of the band got some irrelevant American prize. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

My thoughts exactly. Axl made sure to thoroughly explain his predicament and apologize to the fans, the rest of the alumni (except Izzy) did a good thing by being there. 

This being said, I don't understand why people care so much about the RNRHOF, it is just a commercial thing. It is not a true representation of the greatest rock bands. It is also a very American thing. It got a lot of press coverage, not because the band was inducted into the RNRHOF, but because this was expected to be the time when the band would reunite. It was the promise, or possibility, of a reunion that made this a highly covered event around the world, and not because of the band got some irrelevant American prize. 

It really is an American thing, aside from maybe some videos of classic performances like Prince at the 2004 one doing While My Guitar which has hundreds of millions of views on youtube, it isnt a big deal especially in the UK. 

Had he have turned up and performed all the stuff between him and Slash would have been unspoken and still brewing. If he had turned up separately and done a speech people would have criticised him for not playing or standing with the other guys. 

And then it would would have been a slap in the face for people like Chris and Tommy who by then had been in the band for 14 years. 

Axl couldn't win and did the right thing i think. 

2012 was a good year though, we thought things were bad at the time but looking back the Up Close tour was cool and the setlists had a lot of variation. The euro tour went well and the residency got great reviews. Izzy appearences, some great songs bought back to the set like 14 Years, Dead Flowers, Catcher and TWAT etc. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1