Question - Upcoming auction of Axl's handwritten lyrics/notes.

That  page of lyrics is fascinating. I love that appetite for destruction is mentioned. 

Do we know when these were written because some of the lines sound like stuff he would have talked about when he went through that counsellor stuff that he talked about in rolling stone magazine which he mentions on stage in Chicago in 1992 and how his family were less than impressed.

Edited by IrishgunnerII

7 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That was the part that really stuck out, didn't Axl say during the Famous Last Words interview with Kurt Loder that the band found themselves referencing AFD, trying to write WTTJ2 and that's why they covered Live And Let Die? At first glance, it seems like these are from '89-90.

Honestly I find it creepy that this kind of stuff is sold at auctions. I think Erin Everly auctioned off a bunch of letters and notebooks and stuff a few years ago... was this part of what she sold?

You’d have to assume that is part of what she sold because I don’t think this is stuff that Axl would sell. I can understand why you’d find it weird that this stuff is sold, but it’s stuff that Erin had for over thirty years and she wanted to sell. 

I’ve just reread the page and the part where it says his friends are tired of him and don’t understand him is like he could see the future.

yeah it would be 1989 as it mentions 27 years and Axl was born in 1962. 

Edited by IrishgunnerII
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Honestly I find it creepy that this kind of stuff is sold at auctions. I think Erin Everly auctioned off a bunch of letters and notebooks and stuff a few years ago... was this part of what she sold?

There were lyrics among the stuff Erin had auctioned, but these lyrics here were not part of that.

A spiral bound Mead "Academie Sketch Diary" notebook, containing handwritten lyrics and other personal notes by Guns N' Roses front-man, Axl Rose. A note written in red ink reads: "All of our rock heroes have fallen/ All of our idols have gone/ All of our gods are human/ I see them now/ Hard to save their dignity/ Now they look so pathetic/ Who are we to fool ourselves/ As if we could fill their shoes/ We hope to redefine standards of artistic quality/ *More of less*/ A fulcrum/ A rule of thumb/ Are you getting more of less quality (Honesty)(Sincerity)/From a record than GN'R's appetite/ -GN'R-/ The Pivot Point/ The AXLE! Ha Ha"

https://www.juliensauctions.com/ShopCatalog?id=186

• Like 1

Do we know already who's selling these? Regardless, it's an immoral thing to do if it is without Axl's permission. It's despicable to sell off and make money off things like personal letters of other people.

• Like 3

• alfierose changed the title to Question - Upcoming auction of Axl's handwritten lyrics/notes.
13 hours ago, Gordon Comstock said:

That was the part that really stuck out, didn't Axl say during the Famous Last Words interview with Kurt Loder that the band found themselves referencing AFD, trying to write WTTJ2 and that's why they covered Live And Let Die? At first glance, it seems like these are from '89-90.

I feel the same with Kurt Cobain's journals that were actually sold commercially. I wouldn't be surprised if Axl is unaware of this. I think there were some weird photos of him during their time together that she also had in her possession.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Blackstar said:

No notebook like this one was listed in Erin Everly's auction back in 2013. So apparently the seller now is someone else who had this notebook in his/her possession.

Well that makes it even more interesting. I just assumed it was Erin Everly because we know she was selling some stuff she had but seeing as you are the GNR oracle @Blackstar I shall bow to your far greater knowledge.  

2 minutes ago, IrishgunnerII said:

Well that makes it even more interesting. I just assumed it was Erin Everly because we know she was selling some stuff she had but seeing as you are the GNR oracle @Blackstar I shall bow to your far greater knowledge.  

Here are Erin's auctioned items from 2013 (scroll down):

https://www.julienslive.com/search?key=axl+rose

• Like 1

Personally, I feel like this was a personal poem instead of lyrics. It's very difficult to imagine lyrics this personal showing up on a GN'R record back in the Illusion era. I don't think the band was equipped to tackle subject matter this intense. This writing definitely foreshadows themes that Axl would later explore on Chinese Democracy, however.  

• Like 4