30 years ago Freddie Mercury Tribute Concert at Wembley Stadium

3 minutes ago, GNRmello77 said:

If they were allowed to play a 3rd song back then besides PC and KOHD what song would you guys choose? I'd go for Jungle, with the level of those 2 others it could've been the best Jungle ever 

I wish they would have. Playing PC and KOHD was the most boring choice, really.

4 hours ago, ssiscool said:

See I dont know if the songs would work if they were less overblown. The 87 November Rain versions, while good seem lacking overall.

Out of interest, how do you feel about some of the shows from the skin n bones leg of the illusions tour where they got rid of all the horns sections, back up dancers etc 

I think the songs on UYI work, both in the studio and live; what I was talking about before was how I didn't appreciate how the band's live performances changed from the late 80s to especially 1992. The musicianship was still great, I just felt that the additions and replacements as well as a lack of "band" feeling, made the performances less interesting to me. A purely subjective thing, of course, but I felt that the rock aspect was watered down a bit from the backup singers and additional musicians and it felt more scripted in a sense. This could be hindsight talking, but the band didn't seem cohesive anymore.

As for November Rain specifically, I am not a big fan of the song to start with so take that into account, but I am sure I would have preferred a live '87 version of the song to the live version in the 90s (which was very similar to the recorded version). I would probably have preferred a more sleazy version without the orchestration, which is likely how it would have been if it had ever been finalized back then (as also suggested from the 1980s studio recordings we have of the song.) That being said, I don't think the song would have suffered without Teddy and the backup singers live - with Axl on piano and Dizzy handling the orchestration, it would have come across very similar to the recorded version still. So I wouldn't say that this song necessitated the expanded band that took place in '92.

Yes, I do prefer the Skin N' Bones tour, but keep in mind that back in '92 and '93, and being from Norway, I didn't get to follow the live shows as we do today. I remember watching the Paris show from '92 on TV and assorted live songs were also played on MTV (like Live and Let Die). My lowered interested in the band in '92 came from this limited footage that I got to see as for media reports that made the band sound like a joke. As for '93, I can't remember that I actually saw any live footage of the band that year, and hence I didn't get to appreciate the stripped down version of the tour which I am sure I would have, and maybe that would to some extent have slowed down the gradual lowered interest I had in the band (though, it wouldn't have raised it back to late 1980s' levels). It is now in hindsight that I conclude that I like the '93 shows more than the '92 shows.  

I guess I am with Slash on this. I prefer the rawer version of the UYIs and I prefer the live shows without the expanded band.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PatrickS77 said:

I wish they would have. Playing PC and KOHD was the most boring choice, really.

why was it though KOHD in Tribute for Freddie and PC just a song for the band 

3 hours ago, GNRmello77 said:

If they were allowed to play a 3rd song back then besides PC and KOHD what song would you guys choose? I'd go for Jungle, with the level of those 2 others it could've been the best Jungle ever 

maybe sail away sweet sister before PC

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GNRmello77 said:

My favorite GNR song is Nightrain, so I'd be ok with that but considering the event I think Civil War would fit. 

On 4/20/2022 at 6:38 PM, Stay.Of.Execution said:

Axl storming on stage during Bohemian Rhapsody is one of the greatest moments in rock n roll history

Absolutely. Axl getting on stage was like a storm, as if a tazman devil (the one from the cartoon) burst onto the stage.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, GNRmello77 said:

2 hours ago, Free Bird said:

My favorite GNR song is Nightrain, so I'd be ok with that but considering the event I think Civil War would fit. 

Given the theme, Don't Cry would fit. But if you want a rocker, Go for Nightrain or Jungle

6 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

But it fit the occasion perfectly.

KOHD was a given for this show, No way around that. 

6 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

I think the songs on UYI work, both in the studio and live; what I was talking about before was how I didn't appreciate how the band's live performances changed from the late 80s to especially 1992. The musicianship was still great, I just felt that the additions and replacements as well as a lack of "band" feeling, made the performances less interesting to me. A purely subjective thing, of course, but I felt that the rock aspect was watered down a bit from the backup singers and additional musicians and it felt more scripted in a sense. This could be hindsight talking, but the band didn't seem cohesive anymore.

As for November Rain specifically, I am not a big fan of the song to start with so take that into account, but I am sure I would have preferred a live '87 version of the song to the live version in the 90s (which was very similar to the recorded version). I would probably have preferred a more sleazy version without the orchestration, which is likely how it would have been if it had ever been finalized back then (as also suggested from the 1980s studio recordings we have of the song.) That being said, I don't think the song would have suffered without Teddy and the backup singers live - with Axl on piano and Dizzy handling the orchestration, it would have come across very similar to the recorded version still. So I wouldn't say that this song necessitated the expanded band that took place in '92.

Yes, I do prefer the Skin N' Bones tour, but keep in mind that back in '92 and '93, and being from Norway, I didn't get to follow the live shows as we do today. I remember watching the Paris show from '92 on TV and assorted live songs were also played on MTV (like Live and Let Die). My lowered interested in the band in '92 came from this limited footage that I got to see as for media reports that made the band sound like a joke. As for '93, I can't remember that I actually saw any live footage of the band that year, and hence I didn't get to appreciate the stripped down version of the tour which I am sure I would have, and maybe that would to some extent have slowed down the gradual lowered interest I had in the band (though, it wouldn't have raised it back to late 1980s' levels). It is now in hindsight that I conclude that I like the '93 shows more than the '92 shows.  

I guess I am with Slash on this. I prefer the rawer version of the UYIs and I prefer the live shows without the expanded band.

My apologies i misunderstood your original point. Yes, the songs work live and in the studio. and by 92 you just had Axl Slash and Duff (like you do now) and the close-not band that blew the strip a new one had gone.

I didn't become a fan until around 2004 so i can't comment on what it was like in the 80s/90s as i was only born in 87. I missed the original hype and obviously i'm used to information being readily availible. The Skin n Bones shows i find are some of the best (Paris 93 runs rings round Paris 92). But that being said i do beleive some of the 92 shows are well suited for the time. 

31 minutes ago, no1gooner said:

Is there much footage available of a skin n bones concert.

Bootleg stuff mostly. There was a pro-shot leak of Saskatoon a few years ago. There's also pro-shot of the very last show in Argentina that was broadcast in that country. The band also put a clip of Used to Love Her on YouTube last year.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, mystery said:

Bootleg stuff mostly. There was a pro-shot leak of Saskatoon a few years ago. There's also pro-shot of the very last show in Argentina that was broadcast in that country. The band also put a clip of Used to Love Her on YouTube last year.

If you look around online you will find some good audience shot videos. I recommend Paris 93, Hartford 93 and Auckland 93 are all good

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ssiscool said:

If you look around online you will find some good audience shot videos. I recommend Paris 93, Hartford 93 and Auckland 93 are all good

The video isn't great but there's some from Italy in 1993 with relatively good audio. I mainly check it for Dust in the Wind which is a great cover.

I'd love to see any video of Garden of Eden which was played 2 or 3 times at the beginning of that tour. Luckily there's some audio.

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, mystery said:

The video isn't great but there's some from Italy in 1993 with relatively good audio. I mainly check it for Dust in the Wind which is a great cover.

29/30 June. I remember the video quality is horrendous but not bad setlists and the audio, as you say is pretty reasonable

• Like 1

Watching that Freddie Mercury show on CW-   They were talking about how Axl never showed up for rehearsals with Elton John.  Joe Elliot told the story of Elton coming to Axl's door and trying to talk with Axl about rehearsal  because they perform in 4 hours and his bodyguard opened the door and told Elton that "Axl is sleeping," and shut the door on Elton. Elton said "You don't shut the door on Elton John!" Joe said that Elton came into Def Leps dressing room and "vented his spleen."  "I'm going to do a duet and he's not opening the door- I am Elton John!"

When Roger Taylor was playing the drums before Axl was to come on stage during Bohemian Rhapsody he didn't know if Axl was going to appear and then out of the corner of his eye here comes Axl like a "whirling dervish in a Scottish kilt, and he was fantastic!"

Great stuff.

Edited by DPR714
  • Like 4

Loved the whole drama about will Axl show up? Will Axl come on stage? Axl never rehearses yet he nailed that performance with Elton John!

If anyone knows anything about Axl, he loves Elton John and Bernie Taupan. Also loved Freddie and Queen.

I remember Sebastian Bach saying that Axl always stays in his dressing room and doesn't come out until it's time for the show. I know back in the 80's and 90's Axl might not show up, but this was something so special and it would have been terrible not to perform. I never doubted Axl for a minute.

I know from reading Duff's book about how fucked up he was and how someone not sure who forgot? had to actually carry him on stage to perform with GNR. Even the guys agreed that no matter how messed up they were, once they were on stage and started for perform they rocked it.

I remember seeing this live back in the day. What an amazing thing to do and because of Queen and everyone who was part of it, AIDS was taken seriously and doctors made progress with medicines.

What saddened me was how many people are still dying from AIDS to this day. I can't believe with all we know and what not to do to be safe, humans are still not doing it! What a shame.

Freddie was one of a kind performer and because of him AIDS was taken seriously and more lives have been saved. Too bad one of them wasn't his. But QUEEN and Freddie will live on in the music and that was most important to Freddie.

3 hours ago, DPR714 said:

Watching that Freddie Mercury show on CW-   They were talking about how Axl never showed up for rehearsals with Elton John.  Joe Elliot told the story of Elton coming to Axl's door and trying to talk with Axl about rehearsal  because they perform in 4 hours and his bodyguard opened the door and told Elton that "Axl is sleeping," and shut the door on Elton. Elton said "You don't shut the door on Elton John!" Joe said that Elton came into Def Leps dressing room and "vented his spleen."  "I'm going to do a duet and he's not opening the door- I am Elton John!"

When Roger Taylor was playing the drums before Axl was to come on stage during Bohemian Rhapsody he didn't know if Axl was going to appear and then out of the corner of his eye here comes Axl like a "whirling dervish in a Scottish kilt, and he was fantastic!"

Great stuff.

Yeah. Those 2 songs really blew the GNR gig out of the water. Also Slash joining on Tie your mother down was pretty cool.

8 hours ago, kingcanyon said:

why was it though KOHD in Tribute for Freddie and PC just a song for the band 

maybe sail away sweet sister before PC

Well. An already then played out PC and 1,5 covers wasn't really that exciting. Not that Metallica's set of Sandman, Sad and Matters was way more inspired, but at least they performed their own songs of their then current album. Not saying that the GNR gig was bad, it just was a poor song choice. But then again, they were not playing in front of a GNR crowd. Though one could argue that back then any crowd was a GNR crowd.

Edited by PatrickS77

1 minute ago, PatrickS77 said:

Yeah. Those 2 songs really blew the GNR gig out of the water. Also Slash joining on Tie your mother down was pretty cool.

Y:eah, they agree, once GNR came out they rocked it. It's pretty amazing how messed up they could be backstage and then play like crazy once they got out there.

I just think it was great how all the rockers came together to make everyone aware of Freddie and Queen's music and AIDS awareness too.

Too many people lost their lives to this disease. Very depressing that many people today are still getting aids and dying.  We know so much more ways now to protect ourselves so this disease should be gone by now.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Too many people lost their lives to this disease. Very depressing that many people today are still getting aids and dying.  We know so much more ways now to protect ourselves so this disease should be gone by now.

Well. I don't think that really all that many people are dying from HIV these days, at least not in the "developed" countries. Charlie Sheen has it and is fine. A german singer lives with it since several years and is fine. Magic Johnson lives with it since 30+ years and is fine, which really made it all the more tragic, that Freddie got it just a little bit too early.

The song choice not only wasn't bad, but it was downright ideal. PC as a song with an undisputed status (and a positive vibe in general), and KOHD for obvious reasons... I mean, what else should they have played? SCOM is about a girl, I don't know. Jungle is about the wild street life etc., not sure if that would have been the best choice, would have sounded like pure self-promotion to me under those circumstances. DC too depressing, NR too long and what with the piano and all, Nightrain is about booze, which would have made no sense there, what else, Mr. Brownstone? :lol:

This choice was perfect, and even the sequence, when you think about it - first introduce the band, then pull the main song, which in this case was KOHD, peaking its fame. 

Edited by jamillos
  • Like 2