Jump to content

Social Media Discussion/Addiction


ssiscool

Recommended Posts

Has anyone here ever ended up with a kind of Social Media Addiction? Around 6 weeks ago i realised i was spending more time on Facebook throughout a day than i was seeing my kids some days due to work. Needless to say, i quit Facebook when i realised this and now i find i've got more time in my day, and i'm a lot happier not having to deal with all the drama.

Has anyone else experienced this with any form of social media? How did you get over it?

  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Amazing you write this as I just deleted/deactivated my Twitter account.

Like you said, it became too much; way too much of a time suck.  I found it increasingly made me anxious and irritable.  You tell yourself it’s a fun distraction, but then you see how much time you spend on a social media platform and realize how much of your life is being wasted on something that I think is making everything worse.

For anyone looking for motivation to quit or reduce your social media platform, I recommend this article on how social media is making is all dumb:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/social-media-democracy-trust-babel/629369/?fbclid=IwAR30bxsj3E8kUe2Mr7KoamyTCMnNX5GxFEkmymkYSZ2H5I7HXZ54bpvCnX4

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Social Media is pathetic. It’s for weak pathetic people who want to be seen or see what others are up to. It’s like a woman’s hair salon in the 60s just a place for gossip and snooping.

Go live in the real world and don’t be pathetic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:

Social Media is pathetic. It’s for weak pathetic people who want to be seen or see what others are up to. It’s like a woman’s hair salon in the 60s just a place for gossip and snooping.

Go live in the real world and don’t be pathetic. 

Okay, let’s check our moral superiority complex.

Social media has its purposes beyond mere vanity expressions.  They can be legitimate and useful means of communication that has nothing to do with your diagnosis.

To claim that anyone who uses social media pathetic is pathetic in and of itself.  You don’t know me or anyone else who chooses to post the occasional kid photo for family and friends to see.  

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, downzy said:

Okay, let’s check our moral superiority complex.

Social media has its purposes beyond mere vanity expressions.  They can be legitimate and useful means of communication that has nothing to do with your diagnosis.

To claim that anyone who uses social media pathetic is pathetic in and of itself.  You don’t know me or anyone else who chooses to post the occasional kid photo for family and friends to see.  


Pick up the phone, send an email, send a text. Meet the person in person. There’s no excuse for social media as a necessity to keep in touch. I’ve lived abroad from my family for 10 years, I’ve not needed social media to keep in contact. Social media is a vanity project for most. Great if you use it to keep in touch. The OP is addicted. That’s pathetic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:


Pick up the phone, send an email, send a text. Meet the person in person. There’s no excuse for social media as a necessity to keep in touch. I’ve lived abroad from my family for 10 years, I’ve not needed social media to keep in contact. Social media is a vanity project for most. Great if you use it to keep in touch. The OP is addicted. That’s pathetic. 

Wow…

I think it’s utterly disgusting to shit on anyone for any type of addiction, let alone their use of social media.

This coming from someone who has spent hours posting on a forum like this one.

Who are you to shit on anyone?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, downzy said:

Amazing you write this as I just deleted/deactivated my Twitter account.

Like you said, it became too much; way too much of a time suck.  I found it increasingly made me anxious and irritable.  You tell yourself it’s a fun distraction, but then you see how much time you spend on a social media platform and realize how much of your life is being wasted on something that I think is making everything worse.

For anyone looking for motivation to quit or reduce your social media platform, I recommend this article on how social media is making is all dumb:

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2022/05/social-media-democracy-trust-babel/629369/?fbclid=IwAR30bxsj3E8kUe2Mr7KoamyTCMnNX5GxFEkmymkYSZ2H5I7HXZ54bpvCnX4

I actually used the Facebook feature to see what data they have. I downloaded everything and it was nearly 12GB of data. Looking through this, most of it is crap.

4 minutes ago, Powderfinger said:


Pick up the phone, send an email, send a text. Meet the person in person. There’s no excuse for social media as a necessity to keep in touch. I’ve lived abroad from my family for 10 years, I’ve not needed social media to keep in contact. Social media is a vanity project for most. Great if you use it to keep in touch. The OP is addicted. That’s pathetic. 

Was. I was addicted. 6 weeks or so ago i just deleted Facebook off my phone. I've been on there to request all my data so i can save it thats all. But to some people things like this can become a serious issue. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, downzy said:

Wow…

I think it’s utterly disgusting to shit on anyone for any type of addiction, let alone their use of social media.

This coming from someone who has spent hours posting on a forum like this one.

Who are you to shit on anyone?

Unfortunately I do know about  addiction. Posting on this forum... GnR & Music is something I like and enjoy discussing. It’s not social media. It’s a forum about a topic I’m interested in, I visit sports forums and music forums also. If I don’t check them whatever, I get the news elsewhere. Like I said, there’s a million more ways of keeping in contact with people now than 30 years ago. You can still receive and send videos or pics to family and friends without social media. Social media addiction is mental. Your not physically addicted. It’s pathetic. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I removed social media off my phone quite a few years ago for similar reasons. I was just constantly picking it up and scrolling for no good reason.

I haven't deleted Facebook because it's still useful for keeping in touch with people and various local based groups but having to go on my laptop to access it means I do it a lot less. I still have the FB Messenger app on my phone - it's a good being able to separate the two functions out.

I never really got into Twitter so that's not an issue.

I've haven't tried it but various people tell me Tik Tok is the current worst time suck for mindless scrolling so I'll definitely give that a miss.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Powderfinger said:


Pick up the phone, send an email, send a text. Meet the person in person. There’s no excuse for social media as a necessity to keep in touch. I’ve lived abroad from my family for 10 years, I’ve not needed social media to keep in contact. Social media is a vanity project for most. Great if you use it to keep in touch. The OP is addicted. That’s pathetic. 

Why all the anger, Amish boy?

Social Media is more than just keeping in touch with people or posting your meal. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Social Media can be very joyful and entertaining if used in the right way.

I'm in Facebook Groups about various topics (music, tv shows, books, etc.) and met a lot of great people. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Social Media is pathetic. It’s for weak pathetic people who want to be seen or see what others are up to. It’s like a woman’s hair salon in the 60s just a place for gossip and snooping.

Go live in the real world and don’t be pathetic. 

Says the person who has 1400 posts on a GNR fan forum. How is that better? How you do you know how people use social media. It's really up to anyone how they use it and to lump everyone into the same group is what's really pathetic.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

My addiction is too much shopping on line. lol

It's just so easy and you can get anything you want at anytime.

I don't do social media like Face Book. Just here and twitter.

I do check yahoo.com news and some websites of actors/music bands I like, but I don't interact much.  So many trolls that are just waiting to insult you and I don't need that shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I haven't had Facebook installed on any phone I've had over the last 3/4 + years and it's been a while for Instagram too - that said, if I fancy a nosey at my timeline, I'll jump onto Facebook on my PC, but that can be weeks/months before doing so and I have to say I don't miss having the instant access to it. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dean said:

I haven't had Facebook installed on any phone I've had over the last 3/4 + years and it's been a while for Instagram too - that said, if I fancy a nosey at my timeline, I'll jump onto Facebook on my PC, but that can be weeks/months before doing so and I have to say I don't miss having the instant access to it. 

...you check it as often as weekly/monthly you say? Dr. Powderfinger! Bring in the electrotherapy kit Dean's beyond regular help...we need to fry the addiction out.

Edited by Oldest Goat
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Powderfinger said:

Unfortunately I do know about  addiction. Posting on this forum... GnR & Music is something I like and enjoy discussing. It’s not social media. It’s a forum about a topic I’m interested in, I visit sports forums and music forums also. If I don’t check them whatever, I get the news elsewhere. Like I said, there’s a million more ways of keeping in contact with people now than 30 years ago. You can still receive and send videos or pics to family and friends without social media. Social media addiction is mental. Your not physically addicted. It’s pathetic. 

this is literally social media, just because is smaller in scale doesn't change the fact.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, rocknroll41 said:

I deactivated my Facebook account five years ago. Best decision I ever made.

Never had one. Wasn't interested in it. Any friends I have lost contact with over the years means I don't care to start it up again. lol

To me all the posting it's like I have to do homework in answering stuff and I hate homework. lol

If people enjoy it, that's great, I just hate it when all people do is have their nose in their phone. we need human contact and who the hell knows who I'm really talking to?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I genuinely do feel happier since i stopped worrying about Facebook. I've also got rid of Twitter of my phone today for the same reason. Was never really into Instagram or the bollocks of Tik Tok Too much drama.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, ssiscool said:

Was never really into Instagram or the bollocks of Tik Tok Too much drama.

I'm mostly using Instagram these days.  Previously it was to promote my photography business, but lately it's mostly for the memes...

I refuse to join Tik Tok.  Feels like I'm too old for the nonsense that the platform is used for.  My cousin sends me stuff on TikTok and never see the point in any of it.  Just people making random videos, mostly girls flaunting their cleavage/asses or people lip syncing to random clips.  Seems like a complete waste of time.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, downzy said:

I'm mostly using Instagram these days.  Previously it was to promote my photography business, but lately it's mostly for the memes...

I refuse to join Tik Tok.  Feels like I'm too old for the nonsense that the platform is used for.  My cousin sends me stuff on TikTok and never see the point in any of it.  Just people making random videos, mostly girls flaunting their cleavage/asses or people lip syncing to random clips.  Seems like a complete waste of time.  

"Girls flaunting their cleavage/asses or people lip syncing to random clips", TikTok sounds like an 80s hair metal video.

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • downzy changed the title to Social Media Discussion/Addiction

Changed thread title to Discussion/Addiction.

Looks like Musk is closer to buying Twitter. 

Good or bad, one person this won't help is Donald Trump.  His Truth Social platform will be even more worthless than it already is if Musk loosens Twitter's content controls and allows the rabble back in.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...