Social Media Discussion/Addiction

ssiscool

@action.    @Oldest Goat

I agree that social media (and the internet) have caused a lot of harm, actually. It’s a double edged sword, and it’s crazy we have pretty much all of human knowledge at our fingertips now. Rapid tech advancement like that has no doubt caused a lot of problems and definitely has contributed to division 

I definitely use social media, though. Same with my phone. All probably way too much, it’s hard not to…

1 hour ago, ZoSoRose said:

@action.    @Oldest Goat

I agree that social media (and the internet) have caused a lot of harm, actually. It’s a double edged sword, and it’s crazy we have pretty much all of human knowledge at our fingertips now. Rapid tech advancement like that has no doubt caused a lot of problems and definitely has contributed to division 

I definitely use social media, though. Same with my phone. All probably way too much, it’s hard not to…

with the internet, we have all the knowledge at our fingertips.... or do we?

for thousands of years, people are writing down knowledge.

millions of books have been pressed since the invention of the book press..... what's wrong with them?

A good old library, is underappreciated these days. And it's so much better and more accurate while looking for knowledge. Granted, you need to put in a lot more effort in it, than just google your question, but that's a small price to pay. Any idiot could write false information on the internet; it all shows up in the google results nonetheless. Less so, with books.

So books, are the way to go. The internet is for amusement, but if you're using it as a source of knowledge, then you're screwed.

17 minutes ago, EvanG said:

* wisdom

But yeah, I’ll keep an eye out for it.

typo. totally irrelevant. the written word is a man made invention, at best it can provide an approximation of truth.

real w(h)isdom is found, not in scripture, but in love and experience

5 minutes ago, action said:

typo. totally irrelevant. the written word is a man made invention, at best it can provide an approximation of truth.

real w(h)isdom is found, not in scripture, but in love and experience

You always type it like that, you talk about w(h)isdom a lot on here. But that’s okay. I know English isn’t your native language.

elon musk is absolutely allowed to fire all these people - it's his company

he could fire everyone, if he wanted

4000 moderators? That tells you something about the state twitter was in. An army of moderators, to make sure the thought police was on top of every twitter comment, in search for problematic opinions.

Of course twitter is a mess right now. It was a suffocating, toxic mess of a community before elon mush arrived.

When you weed out the bad weeds in your garden, first you leave a mess but from the clean slate comes harmony and beaty.

2 hours ago, action said:

4000 moderators? That tells you something about the state twitter was in. An army of moderators, to make sure the thought police was on top of every twitter comment, in search for problematic opinions.

I see. So people posting blatantly false, hateful, and dangerous information is just a matter of opinion.  Never mind the use of the n word has skyrocketed since Musk took over.  For you, the problem isn’t the person saying it but those offended by it. 

2 hours ago, action said:

When you weed out the bad weeds in your garden, first you leave a mess but from the clean slate comes harmony and beaty.

Yeah, nothing says harmony and beauty like racism allowed to run wild.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, downzy said:

I see. So people posting blatantly false, hateful, and dangerous information is just a matter of opinion.  Never mind the use of the n word has skyrocketed since Musk took over.  For you, the problem isn’t the person saying it but those offended by it. 

The surge in use of the n word was the result of a trolling campaign by a small amount of bot accounts repeatedly posting it. It was quickly taken care of. No major decisions regarding content moderation have been made at Twitter since Musk’s takeover. 

Given your platform, you should be more careful to not spread  misinformation.

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Everyone around me is seeing racism everywhere. While myself, I see it very very rarely and I can not even remember the last time I saw a really racist thing posted.

I define racism as "an expression of hatred (this can emerge as denying people of color rights, acts of violence, acts of personal insults) exclusively based on race"

you can look for neo nazi forums and find racism there, but the rest of us are not guilty of racism

2 hours ago, Jakey Styley said:

The surge in use of the n word was the result of a trolling campaign by a small amount of bot accounts repeatedly posting it. It was quickly taken care of. No major decisions regarding content moderation have been made at Twitter since Musk’s takeover. 

Given your platform, you should be more careful to not spread  misinformation.

Except that’s not the entire story, is it.

In the first couple of days of taking ownership Musk gutted the moderation team, even before he eliminated half of the contract staff two weeks later that did a lot of the grunt work.

Yes, policy wise there haven’t been any significant changes.  But from a logistical sense in terms of enforcement, that’s not how things are shaking out in real time. 

1 hour ago, action said:

While myself, I see it very very rarely

Shocking. 

1 hour ago, downzy said:

Shocking. 

Maybe it's because of the people I interact with, who are not racists? 

or the places I frequent, online and offline, where there's little racism either?

In real life, on the streets, I have never seen racism in action, ever.

On this forum, never.

as with so many things that are shoved through our throats, there seems to be a huge discrepancy to what is portrayed in the media, and what is really happening before my eyes. Sure, there is racism in the world. But it's not nearly the problem that the media is painting. The media is thoroughly sensationalist, anecdotal, and insincere.

38 minutes ago, action said:

Maybe it's because of the people I interact with, who are not racists? 

or the places I frequent, online and offline, where there's little racism either?

In real life, on the streets, I have never seen racism in action, ever.

On this forum, never.

as with so many things that are shoved through our throats, there seems to be a huge discrepancy to what is portrayed in the media, and what is really happening before my eyes. Sure, there is racism in the world. But it's not nearly the problem that the media is painting. The media is thoroughly sensationalist, anecdotal, and insincere.

Aren’t you white? 

• Haha 2