Social Media Discussion/Addiction

ssiscool

3 hours ago, Padme said:

You mean you never heard about George Floyd or Rodney King? And they are just the tip of the iceberg

6000 kilometers from where I live

I repeat, there is racism in the world. undoubtly. Your example, also fits the definition of racism that I gave earlier.

So I agree with you.

It's also the tip of the iceberg, yes. But I disagree with the media and social justice warriors, about the size of this iceberg. The message they give, does not match what I see in real life, for  42 years already, and counting

but yes, 6000 kilometers away, there was a racist act.

the world is not one big iceberg. there is love and warmth in it too. there is lots, and lots, of interracial friendship and love.

you don't see that reported, ever. It does not fit the narrative of hatred and division.

the media does not want more inclusion, it wants more separation. can't you see?

What is the result of all this reporting? More division, not less.

Start with yourself, and make this world better.

Up there, they will judge you on your actions in real life. Not on the base of what you type on social media. The hypocrism is seen, up there. We will all be judged. No one knows the day and hour.

1 hour ago, action said:

the world is not one big iceberg. there is love and warmth in it too. there is lots, and lots, of interracial friendship and love.

you don't see that reported, ever. It does not fit the narrative of hatred and division.

the media does not want more inclusion, it wants more separation. can't you see?

What is the result of all this reporting? More division, not less.

Start with yourself, and make this world better.

Up there, they will judge you on your actions in real life. Not on the base of what you type on social media. The hypocrism is seen, up there. We will all be judged. No one knows the day and hour.

Yes, Generation Z has plenty of love and interracial frienship. But so did the Hyppies back in the 60. Sure there is progress. But is not fast enough nor big enough.  One of the many things we learn from this election is that there are too many White Christian Nationalists. But hey! Republicans still have 1%  or so of the color people on their side. The media sucks most of the time. But it is not mandatory to watch the news 24/7.

Back in the 80s Republicans found themselves having to deal with a white supremasist memeber of Congress. He was David Duke. They hated the guy.  They made sure the whole world knew they were 100% against that guy ideology. The guy didn't last very long as a House member. Today, many Republicans suport extremists unfortunatelly

33 minutes ago, Padme said:

Yes, Generation Z has plenty of love and interracial frienship. But so did the Hyppies back in the 60. Sure there is progress. But is not fast enough nor big enough.  One of the many things we learn from this election is that there are too many White Christian Nationalists. But hey! Republicans still have 1%  or so of the color people on their side. The media sucks most of the time. But it is not mandatory to watch the news 24/7.

Back in the 80s Republicans found themselves having to deal with a white supremasist memeber of Congress. He was David Duke. They hated the guy.  They made sure the whole world knew they were 100% against that guy ideology. The guy didn't last very long as a House member. Today, many Republicans suport extremists unfortunatelly

"not fast enough, nor big enough" is not a true statement from my experience. Only when you believe the full extent of the picture painted by the media, is this statement true. It's not what I'm seeing. Look out your window. Where is the racism?

"examples of racism as the tip of the iceberg" is in itself a fabrication, an idea. Something we made up with our imagination, almost the truth.

The vast, vast majority of the people never commit racist acts. There is a small percentage of the population that will engage in racist acts. This has been happening since the dawn of civilisation. It has always been here. It can never be eradicated. "not fast enough and not big enough" is proof of good intentions, but it's utopian, and it leads to more division not less. it is a narrative of "us" against "them".

Just the same manner in which the imaginary racist world is conceived in people's heads, so can a world with total peace and understanding. If you think about it, it will exist (see descartes: I think, therefore I am)

I do take offense with your "white christian nationalist" remark. Does this include the white nationalists too, or only the ones who are christian? Is there something about christians you dislike? What crime has Jesus committed for you to make that remark?

this may come as a shock, but christianity is not a "white" religion.

It manifested in the middle east, on the very same spot where islam came into being: the temple mount.

Many african communities are christian. the ethiopian christian community is one of the oldest christian communities still around.

There are to this day many christian communities in the middle east.

the only reason christianity is hated, is because of a deep sense of racism against white people; who happen to follow the christian religion.

Edited by action

4 hours ago, action said:

"not fast enough, nor big enough" is not a true statement from my experience. Only when you believe the full extent of the picture painted by the media, is this statement true. It's not what I'm seeing. Look out your window. Where is the racism?

"examples of racism as the tip of the iceberg" is in itself a fabrication, an idea. Something we made up with our imagination, almost the truth.

The vast, vast majority of the people never commit racist acts. There is a small percentage of the population that will engage in racist acts. This has been happening since the dawn of civilisation. It has always been here. It can never be eradicated. "not fast enough and not big enough" is proof of good intentions, but it's utopian, and it leads to more division not less. it is a narrative of "us" against "them".

Just the same manner in which the imaginary racist world is conceived in people's heads, so can a world with total peace and understanding. If you think about it, it will exist (see descartes: I think, therefore I am)

I do take offense with your "white christian nationalist" remark. Does this include the white nationalists too, or only the ones who are christian? Is there something about christians you dislike? What crime has Jesus committed for you to make that remark?

You're just probing my point  :headbang: I dislike many things about ALL religions 

3 hours ago, Padme said:

You're just probing my point  :headbang: I dislike many things about ALL religions 

there is a difference with disliking religion and disliking god / jesus.

A huge, huge difference.

I'm too tired to try to explain that right now. You need to find the truth yourself.

musk is clearly turning twitter into an empty shell, basically only keeping the name and infrastructure.

I think, he'll build something new up from the ground up, keeping the name. Maybe start small, hire some good people, issue more tolerant moderation policies etc.

Maybe, he isn't able to realise his vision any other way. The company must be so toxic through every echelon, that merely firing a couple of people wasn't enough.

Either way, musk is no doubt a smart man. it'll be alright. I might even join twitter now, lol 

2 hours ago, action said:

musk is clearly turning twitter into an empty shell, basically only keeping the name and infrastructure.

I think, he'll build something new up from the ground up, keeping the name. Maybe start small, hire some good people, issue more tolerant moderation policies etc.

Maybe, he isn't able to realise his vision any other way. The company must be so toxic through every echelon, that merely firing a couple of people wasn't enough.

Either way, musk is no doubt a smart man. it'll be alright. I might even join twitter now, lol 

Elon might be the end of Twitter but yeah, he's not a stupid man. I think he's a vile human being though.

2 hours ago, Rovim said:

Elon might be the end of Twitter but yeah, he's not a stupid man. I think he's a vile human being though.

nobody is 100 % evil, and no one is 100 % good.

even Hitler was good to his dog.

how much good / evil do you consider yourself to be?

me, I hope to think I'm 30 % evil, and 70 % good. But this ratio has evolved through my life. When I die, I hope to be totally happy with myself.

I absolutely hate people who judge other people, and act "holier than though", because everyone has their evil aspects in their character: jealousy, hatred, spitefullness, anger, being judgmental, asocial, craving riches, selfishness.....

All these negative aspects are given to us the day we are born. The first human without those elements has yet to be born 

10 minutes ago, action said:

nobody is 100 % evil, and no one is 100 % good.

even Hitler was good to his dog.

how much good / evil do you consider yourself to be?

me, I hope to think I'm 30 % evil, and 70 % good. But this ratio has evolved through my life. When I die, I hope to be totally happy with myself.

I absolutely hate people who judge other people, and act "holier than though", because everyone has their evil aspects in their character: jealousy, hatred, spitefullness, anger, being judgmental, asocial, craving riches, selfishness.....

All these negative aspects are given to us the day we are born. The first human without those elements has yet to be born 

no, I agree. Not even Sting is 100% evil. Elon is acting like a child is what I meant to say I think.

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

no, I agree. Not even Sting is 100% evil. Elon is acting like a child is what I meant to say I think.

matthew 18:3

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

3 hours ago, action said:

me, I hope to think I'm 30 % evil, and 70 % good.

Idk, but you are definitely 100% obnoxious 

1 hour ago, action said:

matthew 18:3

And he said: “Truly I tell you, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven."

ZoSoRose 6:66

And he said, “Shuteth the fucketh upeth “

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...

Left Twitter after being a prolific user (and somewhat one of the bigger normie personalities on there) a few years ago. 

Still on FB because I’m in a mums group where I feel I have genuine friendships and support. However the rest of it is ads. 

Currently running three Instagram accounts. One for work, one personal and one for stuff about the housing crisis.

I was advised to get TikTok to watch a video by someone called StrangeKevin. I didn’t really get the point of it, so I deleted it immediately. 

• 3 weeks later...

Twitter suspends more than a half dozen journalists last night for reporting on the suspended account that tracked the movements of Musk’s private jet. 

While I can understand Musk’s actions to remove personal info he wishes to keep quiet (despite the fact that his jet info is accessible to anyone who wants to look), the fact that he’s now suspending journalists for reporting Twitter’s actions doesn’t seem to support Musk’s claims of being a free speech absolutist. 

But it’s been fun watching those who have championed Musk for what they believed to be his commitment to free speech now try to defend his clearly hypocritical actions.  

2 hours ago, downzy said:

Twitter suspends more than a half dozen journalists last night for reporting on the suspended account that tracked the movements of Musk’s private jet. 

While I can understand Musk’s actions to remove personal info he wishes to keep quiet (despite the fact that his jet info is accessible to anyone who wants to look), the fact that he’s now suspending journalists for reporting Twitter’s actions doesn’t seem to support Musk’s claims of being a free speech absolutist. 

But it’s been fun watching those who have championed Musk for what they believed to be his commitment to free speech now try to defend his clearly hypocritical actions.  

The term "free speech absolutist", is an oxymoron. How can someone be an "absolutist" when it comes to fundamental freedoms? Absolutism is totally opposed to the concept of freedom. An absolutist does not respect laws and freedoms; that's why it's called absolute power.

The freedom to express ourselves, is one of the most fundamental characteristics that makes us human. It's part of the highest juridical international norms. We are lucky to have these laws. They were made for a reason. They are there to protect us against subjects who want to oppress people, like the absolutists and dictators of the past.

from the international treaty of civil and political rights, new york, 16/12/1966:

Article 18

1 Everyone shall have the right to freedom of thought, conscience and religion. This right shall include freedom to have or to adopt a religion or belief of his choice, and freedom, either individually or in community with others and in public or private, to manifest his religion or belief in worship, observance, practice and teaching.

2 No one shall be subject to coercion which would impair his freedom to have or to adopt a religion or belief of his choice.

3 Freedom to manifest one's religion or beliefs may be subject only to such limitations as are prescribed by law and are necessary to protect public safety, order, health, or morals or the fundamental rights and freedoms of others.

4 The States Parties to the present Covenant undertake to have respect for the liberty of parents and, when applicable, legal guardians to ensure the religious and moral education of their children in conformity with their own convictions.

From the european treaty on human rights, article 10:

Article 10 – Freedom of expression

1. Everyone has the right to freedom of expression. This right shall include freedom to hold opinions and to receive and impart information and ideas without interference by public authority and regardless of frontiers. This article shall not prevent States from requiring the licensing of broadcasting, television or cinema enterprises.

2. The exercise of these freedoms, since it carries with it duties and responsibilities, may be subject to such formalities, conditions, restrictions or penalties as are prescribed by law and are necessary in a democratic society, in the interests of national security, territorial integrity or public safety, for the prevention of disorder or crime, for the protection of health or morals, for the protection of the reputation or rights of others, for preventing the disclosure of information received in confidence, or for maintaining the authority and impartiality of the judiciary.

• Haha 1

in fact, europe has adopted new legislation, protecting internet users and their fundamental rights, that forbids private providers of internet message platforms, to ban members without a possibility of appeal. Also, bans need to be founded on solid grounds.

There will be fines that can be handed out to offenders of this law

https://ec.europa.eu/commission/presscorner/detail/en/ip_22_2545

New measures to empower users and civil society, including:

the possibility to challenge platforms' content moderation decisions and seek redress, either via an out-of-court dispute mechanism or judicial redress;

and frankly, this law was high needed and didn't come a day too early. For the first time, private providers of internet forums can be held accountable for unfair moderation.

Edited by action
  • Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

I got back on Twitter in August after deleting my profile back in 2016. 

Boy have things changed since then!

When the Elon stuff was going down people were losing their shit so hard it was downright hilarious, really. I get being upset about drastic changes that could be done, but people were really acting like the damn site was gonna shut down.

THe only reason I got onto Twitter again was to follow artists /fanartists since I got into doing and learning digital art. But man I feel so old on there :D These kids are teens or mainly early 20's, and I don't care since I'm just browsing for good art to inspire or reference to. But i feel so out of the loop when it comes to the vernacular and how they talk with each other. I'm sounding like a boomer eh? (I'm in my mid 30's).

• 1 month later...

Discord is social media too technically.

I think I've spent more time on it procrastinating than I did when I used to play WOW when I was younger.

I find it hard to watch a film outside the cinema at this point, without checking my phone. It's incredibly unhealthy. It's takes an exceptionally good TV show or a good video game to keep from randomly checking.

I have to keep uninstalling it just to actually do work. It's not a phone thing, it is specifically apps like discord.

Which is telling, because I rarely think about the forums or reddit for example.

Edited by AtariLegend