• There Was a Time
    • Catcher in the Rye
    • I.R.S.
    • Madagascar
    • This I Love
    • Prostitute
    • Sorry

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 04/23/2022 at 06:00 AM

9 minutes ago, youngswedishvinyl said:

Now it starts to get hard... I quite like every one of these but I had to go with TIL.

The main reason why that was a hard decision was because of the solo, which I would argue is in the top 5 of GNR solos.

The solo is great indeed, but everything else...mh. :D

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

I understand why people vote for TIL, but there's a reason why it's the most streamed song from Chinese Democracy. It has great melodies, a very Phantom of the Opera kind of vibe and it might be the most emotional GNR song ever. Axl really sings from his heart there.

The lyrics of course can be considered cheesy, but then again you can't really write about love in a sincere and honest way without sounding cheesy. Love is a cheesy feeling after all. People often consider symbolisic lyrics better or some clever lines. Emotional honesty is often underappreciated because it may come of as too simple.

But emotionally honest lyrics tend to be more relatable and that is surely one of the reasons why TIL is the most popular song from this album. It is the ultimate break up song in many ways.

I'd personally put the song in the top 5, but we voted SCOM out very early on too. Another song with simple and emotionally honest lyrics. So at least there's some consistency here.

Yeah. I don't get it why anyone would vote that song out early, other than it not being what you expect from GNR, though that is true for most of that album. A very simple, but one of the best Axl songs.

Edited by PatrickS77

Catcher for me. I mean, it's a pretty cool song, but in my eyes, it suffers with that Axl's clean and weak voice - yes, even on the record. Imagine if he did it with the slight rasp a la Estranged ("When I find out all the reasons / Maybe I'll find another way..."), now that would have made the song levels better.