(Interview) Matt Sorum Looks Back At Drumming For Some Of The Biggest Bands In History

11 hours ago, MaskingApathy said:

Yes please

Izzy wasn't interested the first time around, I don't think he would do it now either. I'm pretty sure Gilby and Matt would come do a tour for the right price.

If the price was right this time, I think he'd at least consider it. Who knows though, sounds like there's more than money separating them. Pay him equal to Duff and get the deal done. Maybe he would want Axl/Slash money though... who knows what he asked for in 2015.

Having read Slash and Duff’s books as well, it’s hard not to have the view that the Illusion tour was unlike any of that time. Especially St. Louis and Montreal.
At the time it was pretty crazy and scary at times! But at the same time, looking back, it wasn’t anything that was staged or posed. We were that band. Our leader Axl had a certain way of doing things and looking back, I wouldn’t have had it any other way because the rest is rock and roll history and it made for fucking some great shows. I remember going out certain nights where we’d be late and I would think “fuck man, I’m gonna beat the shit out of my drums.” I was pissed off and it’s a very difficult thing because as a performer, you gotta get yourself ready to go up there and play for two hours. We just never knew when that was gonna be and a lot of times, made for a lot of really amazing musical tension on stage. That’s all the inner workings that go into it. braiding energy that. That is the definition of rock and roll.

Could that happen today?
I think that’s the problem with maybe rock and roll today is like, Where’s that band? Where is that?  Music has become so corporate with the big conglomerates of Live Nation and AEG. So, you have to act accordingly. That doesn’t include rock and roll, fucking behavior.

To have lived through that era…
I’m a guy who never thought he’d make it in rock and roll. To be a part of that band, I’m very honored and it’s a real feather in my cap being there in that pivotal time. I came to Hollywood with a dream. I could have gone home with my tail between my legs, like every other musician that came to that town thinking they’re gonna be a rock star, but I did.

• Like 2

On 4/26/2022 at 11:44 PM, El Guapo said:

At this point, Izzy might be better of staying away from it all. Less money, but he'll forever be the coolest member. 

Also I'm not sure he's up for playing a 3 hour show since he hasn't really toured or anything in years.

On 4/27/2022 at 7:21 AM, Tom2112 said:

If the price was right this time, I think he'd at least consider it. Who knows though, sounds like there's more than money separating them. Pay him equal to Duff and get the deal done. Maybe he would want Axl/Slash money though... who knows what he asked for in 2015.

Maybe for a guest spot or something. In one of the interviews that Slash did recently about the new SMKC album he mentioned that he hasn't spoken to Izzy since the initial reunion talks, so I think at this point they're kind of separated personally. Seems like Matt is cool with Slash again, I wonder if he's talked to Duff since the book leaked.

1 hour ago, Sisyphus said:

The current GN'R would have been so much better with Matt behind the kit. I've always loved Steven and I appreciate Brain a lot but Matt was the shit. Especially during UYI Tour. He was a powerhouse.

100%, all those classic songs would sound the way they're supposed to and the band would've been so much tighter from the beginning. Would've brought new energy to the whole thing, not to mention the chemistry of Slash/Duff/Matt.

• Like 1

Velvet Revolver, too. It flamed out pretty quickly, but that was a big band.
We did really well. I’m super proud because I was an original member. I had a lot more say in what was going on. We were already all in our 40s and we all got in really good shape. People were like “is that Matt Sorum looking all skinny and shit” and it was like “Yeah, I worked at it.” The timing was good and there was good rock and roll happening with bands like Queens of the Stone Age and a lot of inspiration to come out fresh. We made a great first record. The second record is good too. We didn’t go into it thinking we’re a supergroup per see but Slash and Duff wanted to do another band. We didn’t try to be GNR, we wanted it to be its own thing, which is good, and Weiland really loved Axl. But, the old demons came back to haunt us and shit got weird. Money, the same old shit and the wheels came off.

It’s rare that you even got to the point where the second life in rock happened. It’s not usually the case and the way the band just ended with that 2012 show is a great what-if.
That was an interesting time. Scott wanted to do it. I remember him talking to me about it backstage. I remember thinking, let’s try. We all tried to talk about it, but it just never came to fruition. And now it never will.