"Sorry" - Can anybody else relate to its anti-Narcissistic dissent?

Posted (edited)

I have listened to this song countless times since its release. Although there is speculation that it may be a discord towards Slash by Axl, I felt that its lyrical content is strongly relevant to the characterisation of Narcissists. Having grown up with a mother who is one, I felt a strong inclination to describe my relation to the song's lyrics & the painful journey it does paint a very accurate picture of. All the paragraphs leading to the choruses define the way one was treated by a Narcissist when they were at their weakest, most vulnerable stages of life. They call out the Narcissist & call out their weaknesses & traits such as projection, supremacy, apathy, grandiosity & a strong sense of self-doubt. The chorus simply clarifies the state of feeling sorry for the Narcissistic abuser, in a cheeky, non-sympathetic way after having realised that these people cannot be changed; they will be this way until the last day of their life & cannot be cured of their disorder because they have gone through too many other things in life that they truly believe that they will be the righteous one eternally. But as for the dissident, one mustn't hate or feel sorry for themselves, for this is a learning experience that will help understand the psychology of people all the better throughout life.  This is my way of relating to the song, at 36 years old.

Edited by Screamin' Demon
  • Like 2
  • GNFNR 2

I have a friend, not a fan of GNR at all, but listened to CD per my suggestion (lol), and Sorry is the highlight for him largely for the lyrics. They're some of the most relatable lyrics on the album, but doesn't sacrifice cleverness in being relatable.

Most of it. But the "kick your ass" part seems juvenile. I might have related to that line back in my teens, but not now.

On a side note, the line: "It's harder to live with the truth about you than to live with the lies about me" is absolute poetry in motion.

• Like 3

See, I never thought it was about any one person. There might be a line or two that was penned while thinking about a certain someone or something.

Honestly, it sounds more about Axl's steadfast determination to continue on with a new-look Guns N' Roses despite objections and pressure from management, record executives, former bandmates, etc.

Ozzy penned the lyrics to Slash's "Crucify the Dead," writing them from the viewpoint of Slash speaking to Axl.  Ozzy stated at the time: "What I wrote in the song is, if I were Slash, what I would send in a message to Axl. I've never met Axl, but I would be pissed off and the lyrics are about that."

I can't remember the timeline of when the "Sorry," lyrics were written, but they play into the viewpoint of those who aren't in the know believing everyone else's version of events surrounding the breakup of the Appetite lineup. There were many factors at play, and Slash and Duff wrote the narrative and spin while Axl stayed largely out of the public light.

Here is what Axl himself said about "Sorry" on this forum (verbatim):

"With Sorry.. like a lot of the material is drawn from a lot of different situations. The main focus on the boards w/the track seems to be either Slash or 'the fans' (and the collective of 'the fans' is another thing that doesn't work for me) and is much too restrictive or narrow and limits what I feel I intended.

For me it's for anyone talking nonsense at mine and the public's expense and that many of those as well as the public don't know who to believe.

Also where possible I'd like to give people the opportunity to get what they can from the material for a while before clouding that with my inspirations. Of course that's not always avoidable."

• Like 2

How do you guys interpret Axl's sarcastic Osaka 2009 quote then? "And for the idiots....but no, this song was not written about somebody I used to know."

Not gonna post the link, but one can find it easily...

Posted (edited)

Axl said here that it's several people mashed in one idea/text or something. We'we had that discussion here already. I think he wouldn't admit it even if it was only about Slash, but there's the line "just shut up and sing", and we know he was literally told this back then. One way or the other, there are definitely Slash/Duff elements from that era, and Axl couldn't have not anticipated the fans to assume that. 

Edited by jamillos

On 5/9/2022 at 12:39 AM, jamillos said:

but there's the line "just shut up and sing", and we know he was literally told this back then.

That sentiment came from many different sources. The media (whom he threatened to kick their ass), the fans at the shows, members of the band, management, etc.

The confirmation bias among you guys incessantly pushing this narrative apparently knows no bounds.

AXL has never stated that the lyrics are about SLASH. IIRC he was even asked about it and claimed it wasn’t about SLASH.

So unless you have hard evidence to the contrary, you’re just talking out of your ass. And for that I’m sorry for you, not sorry for me ;).

On 5/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, --DEA-- said:

This song is NOT about Slash! Axl have already answered that question..

But, but, but this piece of info will be ignored as part of their confirmation bias since it doesn’t fit the narrative of which they already convinced themselves.

This game has been ongoing for years and years now. Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, thunderram said:

That sentiment came from many different sources. The media (whom he threatened to kick their ass), the fans at the shows, members of the band, management, etc.

The confirmation bias among you guys incessantly pushing this narrative apparently knows no bounds.

AXL has never stated that the lyrics are about SLASH. IIRC he was even asked about it and claimed it wasn’t about SLASH.

So unless you have hard evidence to the contrary, you’re just talking out of your ass. And for that I’m sorry for you, not sorry for me ;).

I literally said he'd literally said it sometime is a mash. And considering the circumstances... I wouldn't expect him to admit "yes, it's only about him". So I'll keep this possibility it was partially inspired by him as well, you know, given the literal sentence he was told etc. But you can believe whatever you want, I'm not pressing anyone. 

I don't fault people for thinking it's about Slash however there are lines like "difference is no one cares about you" "why no one asked you is a mystery to me" that don't fit it being about him.

IMO there is only one song that either wrote that is outright about the other and that's Take It Away on the first Snakepit album.

If it was really written about Slash, wouldn’t it feel a bit weird and uncomfortable for them to perform it together?

Slash would be playing the chords and suddenly thinkin, hang on is this shit about… “Uhh Ax is this song about me?”

Axl: “No?” 🤥 👀

(thinks to himself: fkin narcissist)