Sympathy For The Devil - Stones Vs GN'R

GNR vs Rolling Stones  

112 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Many of you know I host a weekly music podcast, Infectious Groove Podcast. We started a new series of Cover Battles with today's new episode, which is out now. 

For the first Cover Battle, I figured we'd pick two huge bands: The Rolling Stones and Guns N' Roses. The 3 of us talk a bit about both versions, then decide which one we think is best. 

For anyone interested in listening, you can subscribe on whatever podcast player you use with this link:

https://linktr.ee/Infectiousgroovepodcast

I know a lot of people on the forum listen to the podcast (thank you!) but if you're not a regular and you just want to hear the Stones / GN'R talk, it starts at about the 23:30 mark :)

Edited by RussTCB
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

The most overrated stones song by far. The GNR version is more enjoyable, although it's tough to listen to it, knowing the band was dead by then.

We had a fun debate on it, but we were definitely split on our preferred version between the 3 of us. 

19 minutes ago, El Guapo said:

Stones version sounds more sinister. 

That's a great point. I don't think we mentioned that. 

15 minutes ago, draguns88 said:

I enjoy the GNR version. It's just that it's too bad that it was the sound of the band breaking up. 

I did make sure to mention Slash's quote about that. 

• Like 2

I've never been a huge Stones fan (blasphemy, I know), but I think the Guns version is just objectively better. While the Stones one does sound more sinister, the Guns version has everyone sounding in top form - the build on Axl's voice to where he's unleashing at the end, Slash's ripping it at the same time - just awesome. I think the song works really well for Axl's baritone too.

As an aside, it's always had a tinge of sad irony to it because they were initially heralded as "The next Rolling Stones" and for this to be one of the last things they did as a band just has a sting to it.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I've never been a huge Stones fan (blasphemy, I know), but I think the Guns version is just objectively better. While the Stones one does sound more sinister, the Guns version has everyone sounding in top form - the build on Axl's voice to where he's unleashing at the end, Slash's ripping it at the same time - just awesome. I think the song works really well for Axl's baritone too.

As an aside, it's always had a tinge of sad irony to it because they were initially heralded as "The next Rolling Stones" and for this to be one of the last things they did as a band just has a sting to it.

I talked about that with Axl during the second half of the song. The dude just unleashes on that. 

imho the cover didn't add anything particularly good, the original has such a strong vibe and it didn't translate well to my ears. Sounded very heavy handed and devoid of nuance in a way if I try to compare it to other covers Gn'R released, even Rolling Stones ones. Technically the vocals are impressive but The Stones is not about that I think and it just comes off as a misinterpretation of a classic. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rovim said:

imho the cover didn't add anything particularly good, the original has such a strong vibe and it didn't translate well to my ears. Sounded very heavy handed and devoid of nuance in a way if I try to compare it to other covers Gn'R released, even Rolling Stones ones. Technically the vocals are impressive but The Stones is not about that I think and it just comes off as a misinterpretation of a classic. 

That's a great point. 

51 minutes ago, Dean said:

I’ve always preferred GNR’s version as I don’t think it’d make my top 10 Stones songs - not that I don’t enjoy the original. Axl sounds amazing and dare I say Paul Tobias does too!! 🤣

I mentioned Axl's amazing vocals, especially in the second half of the song.. As a regular listener of the show, I'm sure you know how this went for Michelle 😂 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, GNROSAS said:

This topic needs a poll.

I prefer GNR version due to axl vocals and slashs guitar tone. Also i loved the movie 'interview with a vampire' back in the day.

The 3 of us made our picks on the episode, so I just made the thread for whomever might want to listen to the episode. My bad for not adding a poll. 

Great lyrics and one the best GNR's covers. The 'sound of a band breaking up' perhaps shouldn't be taken that seriously. I think we know why Slash said that, but when you think about it, if they weren't breaking up, continued normally and there wasn't any beef over the song (and we didn't know someone else's guitar was added), I'm positive we'd have quite a different approach to this song. It's not really a sound of a band breaking up, that's just the reality surrounding it that makes us see it with those eyes. It's awesome.

43 minutes ago, jamillos said:

Great lyrics and one the best GNR's covers. The 'sound of a band breaking up' perhaps shouldn't be taken that seriously. I think we know why Slash said that, but when you think about it, if they weren't breaking up, continued normally and there wasn't any beef over the song (and we didn't know someone else's guitar was added), I'm positive we'd have quite a different approach to this song. It's not really a sound of a band breaking up, that's just the reality surrounding it that makes us see it with those eyes. It's awesome.

For the record, the only reason I mentioned the "sound of the band breaking up" in the episode was because of Slash saying that. 

Slash also said he wasn't into doing that cover in the first place since the Stones version is perfect so what's the point.

He still went with it hoping it would get Guns going again.

Then Paul Huge played over his solo. :D

And he didn't like the movie. :D

Edited by El Guapo

6 hours ago, El Guapo said:

Stones version sounds more sinister. 

Yes (aside from Axl's vocals sounding more demonic than Jagger's), but the GNR version is far more powerful, so that's a wash.

Personally, I like the GNR version more, just as I like their versions of Live and Let Die and Hair of the Dog more (as well as most of their covers off TSI). The only covers I think they didn't manage to at least match were KOHD and Since I Don't Have You.

But I'm biased lol

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 1