GNR Survivor: Tours - Round 2

kingcanyon

2.Second Worst GNR Tour  

126 members have voted

1. 1. Vote out the worst tours first

• The Early Days of Guns N' Roses (85-87)
    • AFD (87-88)
    • Use Your Illusion World Tour (91-93)
    • Chinese Democracy Tour (01/02)
    • Chinese Democracy Tour (06/07)
    • Chinese Democracy Tour (09-2011)
    • Up Close and Personal Tour (2012)
    • Not in This Lifetime... Tour (16-19)
    • We're F'N Back! (2021)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/26/2022 at 07:00 PM

Appetite for Democracy Is Out

Which Tour is Next Out?!

Round 1 Appetite for Democracy

Round 2 ???

Round 3 ???

Round 4 ???

Round 5 ???

Round 6 ???

Round 7 ???

Round 8 ???

Round 9 ???

Round 10 ???

HOW IT WORKS: Each round, you vote for your LEAST FAVORITE of the options. The option with the most votes gets eliminated in the next round, and so on, until only one Tour remains

30 minutes ago, We love Axl Rose said:

Up Close and Personal Tour (2012) > We're F'N Back! (2021) 

At the start of the UCAP tour Axl sounded great. The setlist was also very good. They played Mama Kin, Dead Flowers, You're Crazy, Riff Raff, Whole Lotta Rosie, etc.

And you got the occasional true gem, like Philly.

There is no reason that a tour full of riots and cancellations - so bad that the plug got pulled part-way through - survived even one round of this poll is absurd. The idea that UCAP is going out before 02 or "We're F'n Back" is simply insane.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, axlslash said:

There is no reason that a tour full of riots and cancellations - so bad that the plug got pulled part-way through - survived even one round of this poll is absurd. The idea that UCAP is going out before 02 or "We're F'n Back" is simply insane.

Nah, any tours without Slash have to go out first. 

• Like 2
  • GNFNR 1

1 hour ago, axlslash said:

I'd take '02 over UCAP any day of the week.

Saw them five times in '02.  Shows were electric.  It all felt surreal, as though it was some strange dream.  

By 2012, the setlists had gotten rather stale and, well, Ashba was in full on Ashba mode.  Also, ticket prices were hard to swallow considering it was essentially the same show they were playing a few years earlier while Axl sounded significantly worse.  For every Philly there was a Chicago.  

9 minutes ago, downzy said:

I'd take '02 over UCAP any day of the week.

Saw them five times in '02.  Shows were electric.  It all felt surreal, as though it was some strange dream.  

By 2012, the setlists had gotten rather stale and, well, Ashba was in full on Ashba mode.  Also, ticket prices were hard to swallow considering it was essentially the same show they were playing a few years earlier while Axl sounded significantly worse.  For every Philly there was a Chicago.  

Fair. And I guess the novelty of '02 made up for the debut of the Mickey voice and the absolute clusterfuck of CKY and Mix Master Mike opening every show with no clue whether or when the headliners would go on..... What a weird fuckin' tour that was. I guess weird is better than boring, even if both are the shits.

God bless this goofy-ass band.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, axlslash said:

Fair. And I guess the novelty of '02 made up for the debut of the Mickey voice and the absolute clusterfuck of CKY and Mix Master Mike opening every show with no clue whether or when the headliners would go on..... What a weird fuckin' tour that was. I guess weird is better than boring, even if both are the shits.

God bless this goofy-ass band.

Yeah, if the 2002 tour had been after the 2006 and 2010 tours, then it would rate far lower.  I suppose my evaluation is based more on relative values than absolute ones.

One way I got around the shitty openers in 2002 was to show up later to avoid them.  I think I caught the tale end of Mix Master Mike at the MSG show (and I only showed up early because I had never been to MSG before and wanted to soak up the atmosphere and vibe, which translated into watching dudes that I can only describe as Sopranos-like getting into fights and getting thrown out before GNR hit the stage).

Axl certainly was in full mickey mode back in '02, but it was a lot stronger and had more force than what he ended up sounding like in 2012 through 2014.   That said, at least back then he'd almost always nail Jungle.

'02 was just a strange, raw, weird, and curious time.  You just never knew what was going to happen.  It felt like Axl had something to prove back then; the idea of doing a residency in Las Vegas was the farthest thing from my mind back then.  Fast forward ten years later and it felt we were getting a rehash with an inferior band (Robin > DJ; Buckethead > Bumble; Brain > Frank).  

• Like 3

Honestly “We’re FN Back” was probably the “worst” GNR gig I saw. Still had a great time out of it and tickets were free so I can’t bitch

Still, it is the worst Axl has sounded that I have seen and they played Silkworms as a new song. The set list is stale, and You’re  Crazy was cool, but getting something else like Dead Horst would have helped a bit too.

I saw UCAP and that show was awesome. Seeing Axl in a small venue like that was awesome and I was right up front.

I do believe that Slash in the band for a lineup > anything else by default, but I’d put the UCAP show well over the 2021 gig I saw

2011 was probably the least memorable GnR gig I saw. Getting Estranged was amazing at the time, but it was still a typical arena GnR show with Ashba. At least the 2010 show I saw was my first GnR gig was a fresh setlist and Axl sounding great and moving around a lot.

4 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

I want to vote for '09 - '11, but it's hard because it contains some great stuff and some veeeery not great stuff.

Out of all the tours, how do you vote for the on that included the most new material, three hour shows almost every night, and Axl sounding like his old form? 

I'd argue this was the best tour of the CD era, even with Ashba weighing down its average.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, downzy said:

Out of all the tours, how do you vote for the on that included the most new material, three hour shows almost every night, and Axl sounding like his old form? 

I'd argue this was the best tour of the CD era, even with Ashba weighing down its average.

Because while it had Osaka & Tokyo it also had Rock In Rio 2011 & East Rutherford 2011, which I was there for and saw the half filled arena, Axl going on three hours late, a roooough opening act (Asking Alexandria) who had nearly half of the real estate on all promo material, and Axl had to drink from and prominently display a Monster can before November Rain. It was also when the internet seized on the images of him in the raincoat and, I think, cruelly meme'd him because of his weight. 

Whatever happened between December 2010 & October 2011 that caused Axl to lose inspiration is kind of sad enough for me to vote for it. This was also the first tour without Robin. 

That said, I did make Axl laugh from the pit in Rutherford, which I'm pretty proud of. And looking at the setlist for it now I am floored that I apparently saw Shackler's & Madagascar and have no memory of it.

Edited by BangoSkank

54 minutes ago, kanecrescente said:

Does the Hell Tour include Bridge School? 

It was their first tour. 

1 hour ago, Legendador said:

Actually the "Use Your Illusions Tour" was from '91 to '92, '93 was the "Skin and Bones Tour".

And you guys forgot the "Hell Tour"

I think it could be considered included in "the early days" above. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legendador said:

Actually the "Use Your Illusions Tour" was from '91 to '92, '93 was the "Skin and Bones Tour".

I assume that the Hell Tour is included in the "Early Days of Gnr" Option. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Legendador said:

The Japanese, Australian and NZ dates in January and early February of ‘93 where part of the UYI Tour though, so ‘91-‘93 is correct.

The Skin and Bones Tour started late February in the US!

• Like 1