What are your biggest unknowns in gnr world?

On 6/4/2022 at 5:37 AM, SoulMonster said:

I always interpreted as having one's hands handcuffed behind one's back.

On 6/4/2022 at 8:19 AM, Oldest Goat said:

Yeah I guess. Very awkward wording imo.

I think it is somewhat common slang in the police/criminal world to call handcuffs bracelets. The lyric was a clever way to say "I don't need to be arrested."

2 hours ago, janrichmond said:

I can't imagine him ever stopping dying his hair, same as Lemmy, Ozzy and others. 

I think we can safely add Axl, Duff, Richard, Steven Tyler, etc. to the list.

9 hours ago, NostalgicRock said:

what exactly happened to gnr during 1994' - 2000

I feel like we've gotten pretty detailed accounts from the UYI lineup (Slash, Duff, Matt) and a lot of the producers, engineers, and band members from Nu-GNR to paint a good picture. The one person who's never gone into real detail is Axl who's alluded to things but has never given a clear account.

Axl disappearing for 7 years while music and pop culture completely changed has always been fascinating to me. When I think about it, 2015-2022 doesn't seem like a big change culturally but 1994-2001 was massive.

• Like 1

What happened between December '10 and October '11?

What happened between December '02 and May '06?

What the hell was going on in GNR world in November '08? 

How pissed was the record company at Axl?

What exactly happened on December 6th, 2002 - the night of the Philly riot. I know he explained it and I believe him, but I still want to know more (I was there).

When will Axl write his autobiography and answer all of these questions?

What would have happened if Axl went solo with that band instead of using the name? How would things be different?

• Like 2

Who advises Axl on his wardrobe and overall style throughout the different era’s? If he does it on his own, what’s his reason for significantly changing his look/style every couple of years? To me it’s like 

80’s Leather and bandanna 

early 90’s bike shorts/kilt and bandana 

late 90’s who knows?

early 00’s long cornrows and jerseys

late 00’s tied back cornrows and Versace. Never wore a bandana during this time...I don’t think

2009-2010 hybrid Versace and classic Axl

2011-2014 Yosemite Sam mustache and fedoras 

2016- current aging rock star pointed toe snakeskin boots, mixture of hats and bandanas 

I know most people evolve over time, but the way he changes his style is interesting to me

3 minutes ago, BangoSkank said:

What exactly happened on December 6th, 2002 - the night of the Philly riot. I know he explained it and I believe him, but I still want to know more (I was there).

What would have happened if Axl went solo with that band instead of using the name? How would things be different?

All good questions I’ve often wondered as well

• Like 2

Why the cornrows?

What made MSL disappear from GNR world?

Why didn't MSL release all the 100 files he said he had in 2011?

How is the relationship of Axl with TB behind the scenes?

How was the dinner/bbq that made Slash and Axl reconcile?

Who has more unreleased GNR songs and how do we get them to leak?

Is Axl bi?

Are Axl and Beta married?

What is the role of Brain in the band? Studio drummer? Pro tools and remix guy?

Why did they chose a poor stage design for NITL tour? I mean, it's a really important tour, even the CD 09-14 tour had a better stage design.

Edited by mattromero

4 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

I think he’s answered your penultimate question (at the China Exchange interview). If he published something like this now, he would basically either have to lie / suppress his opinions or risk that *someone* will get pissed off. They have buried the hatchet, why would he try to ruin Slash’s public image now. It makes no sense, which is why I don’t expect anything like that to be published in the nearest years. Maybe when he’s like 75, when nobody gives a damn anymore, and after a bit of polishing, then maybe. Otherwise it would end up like Matt’s book, the one officially released as opposed to the leak, i.e. everything self-censored. 
Would I like to read Axl’s autobiography? Fuck yeah, why even ask. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Oldest Goat said:

Right but it'd make better sense to say "clamped behind my back".

Except it wouldn't fit the music without pronouncing "behind" very awkwardly.  It would have to be like bee-hind with the first syllable stretched unnaturally.  The way it is written, the words fit naturally.

8 hours ago, jamillos said:

I think he’s answered your penultimate question (at the China Exchange interview). If he published something like this now, he would basically either have to lie / suppress his opinions or risk that *someone* will get pissed off. They have buried the hatchet, why would he try to ruin Slash’s public image now. It makes no sense, which is why I don’t expect anything like that to be published in the nearest years. Maybe when he’s like 75, when nobody gives a damn anymore, and after a bit of polishing, then maybe. Otherwise it would end up like Matt’s book, the one officially released as opposed to the leak, i.e. everything self-censored. 
Would I like to read Axl’s autobiography? Fuck yeah, why even ask. 

I sadly think you're right - I was hoping he could maybe find a way around it or address it in such a way that implies it's been resolved. I'm dying to read it though. Less because of the original band fallout and more for the CD era stories - it's a shame that so much will never be revealed. I tend to find too that while he remains silent on a lot, it casts him in a worse light than necessary. Then when he does speak out it adds a lot of clarity and he seems far more sensible. Just a shame if he never puts anything out - it's in my top three desired books to read.

What happened after the release of Chinese Democracy is an interesting question. There was a lot of drama behind the scenes there and after giving a few interviews for papers and magazines, Axl disappeared for most of 2009 until the tail end when he came back with a new look, new tour, and new bandmates.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BangoSkank said:

I sadly think you're right - I was hoping he could maybe find a way around it or address it in such a way that implies it's been resolved. I'm dying to read it though. Less because of the original band fallout and more for the CD era stories - it's a shame that so much will never be revealed. I tend to find too that while he remains silent on a lot, it casts him in a worse light than necessary. Then when he does speak out it adds a lot of clarity and he seems far more sensible. Just a shame if he never puts anything out - it's in my top three desired books to read.

Hey, hope dies last, and what do we know, maybe he will find a way around. Anything is possible if he thinks it through, maybe with some pro author to help out. Or - since they always boasted they liked doing things a different way - they could write it together (Axl + Slash), sort of looking at things from both perspectives, as wiser and older friends. Sky is the limit.