What are your biggest unknowns in gnr world?

At this point, I'm just hoping we see official releases dealing with the band from 85-93. Things like all that UYI footage that's sitting in a vault some place. Maybe some unknown, official releases of songs like Crash Diet etc. that we don't know about. Things of that nature.

Because for me, the band is finished. I saw them in 2016, but it wasn't the band that I had seen as a kid, staying up late with my friends to watch Paris '92. The crowd was old and tired. The band was old and tired. Axl's voice was old and tired. It was all just so worn out... and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

But that's life. All things must pass, as George Harrison once famously put it. GNR is no different. As hard as it was to face, I've since learned to accept it and make peace with the fact that the band I loved is no more.

Edited by Nintari
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Nintari said:

At this point, I'm just hoping we see official releases dealing with the band from 85-93. Things like all that UYI footage that's sitting in a vault some place. Maybe some unknown, official releases of songs like Crash Diet etc. that we don't know about. Things of that nature.

Because for me, the band is finished. I saw them in 2016, but it wasn't the band that I had seen as a kid, staying up late with my friends to watch Paris '92. The crowd was old and tired. The band was old and tired. Axl's voice was old and tired. It was all just so worn out... and it was a bitter pill to swallow.

But that's life. All things must pass, as George Harrison once famously put it. GNR is no different. As hard as it was to face, I've since learned to accept it and make peace with the fact that the band I loved is no more.

That's exactly the way I feel at this point, couldn't describe it better. The best scenario for me would be any solo effort/creative output from Axl, but then I'd be asking too much. 

• Like 1

Is Axl still stuck in the sinkhole of indifference between the choice of benefiting from fear (loving self) or serving for love (loving others). I wonder what his thoughts, deeds, words, and actions total up to.

• Wow 3

7 hours ago, Jackamo! said:

Is Axl still stuck in the sinkhole of indifference between the choice of benefiting from fear (loving self) or serving for love (loving others). I wonder what his thoughts, deeds, words, and actions total up to.

That’s not a song lyric I’ve missed is it ? 

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 5:55 AM, mystery said:

I feel like the Sympathy question is easy to answer. I forget the specifics but they might have been asked to record a cover version for Interview With The Vampire while the original was a placeholder.

I believe recording was done separately for all the band members and Axl and Slash barely had a working relationship at that point. Them just recording SFTD seems like a minor miracle let alone any other songs.

I think the relationship was strained but Slash was still wavering between Axl and I have come to an understanding and are on good terms... And we can't see eye to eye. At the time I think they were talking (by phone) but Axl wasn't there when the gtrs were cut and Slash wasn't around for Axls vocals. Very separate like you said.

8 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I think the relationship was strained but Slash was still wavering between Axl and I have come to an understanding and are on good terms... And we can't see eye to eye. At the time I think they were talking (by phone) but Axl wasn't there when the gtrs were cut and Slash wasn't around for Axls vocals. Very separate like you said.

According to Slash, the one time he saw Axl during those sessions he was reading a magazine and not making eye contact with Slash. 1994-96 was such a weird time when Axl was keeping the band going while doing very little creatively or even showing up often.

Why not release anything and why to go against the majority of the fans wishes.

It ain't for the money, it ain't for fame, it ain't for piece of mind, it ain't for integrity. I just don't get it.

I don't expect every GNR album to be a AFD hit, but think about it:

• It's Five O' Clock Somewhere as a GNR album, would have been a crazy grunge era record, but a great
  • The "Neurotic Outsiders" record, have many great songs that Guns could have recorded
  • Ain't Life Grand could have been a bluesy bluesy bluesy GNR record, great one
  • The first Velvet Revolver record would be a killer GNR record, maybe the best one
  • Maybe Libertard would be GNR's St. Anger ou Load / Reload
  • Chinese Democracy as a Double Album, or with Atlas, Perhaps, General, OMG, HS even Absurd annd the Big 3 could be equal or as big as UYI

But there is missed opportunity after missed oppotyunity.

It's like AXL is a homeless man living 30+ years in the street eating from trash suddenlly winning 50 million dollars from the lottery and throwing it all from the top of a building.

Never in history I guess we'll see so much talent wasted.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Legendador said:

It ain't for the money, it ain't for fame, it ain't for piece of mind, it ain't for integrity. I just don't get it.

• It's Five O' Clock Somewhere as a GNR album, would have been a crazy grunge era record, but a great
  • The "Neurotic Outsiders" record, have many great songs that Guns could have recorded
  • The first Velvet Revolver record would be a killer GNR record, maybe the best one
  • Chinese Democracy as a Double Album, or with Atlas, Perhaps, General, OMG, HS even Absurd annd the Big 3 could be equal or as big as UYI

It's like AXL is a homeless man living 30+ years in the street eating from trash suddenlly winning 50 million dollars from the lottery and throwing it all from the top of a building.

Axl basically hit it big early by having a tremendous amount of talent, a tremendously talented band behind him, and roughly 3 and a half albums that were huge that pretty much along with a similar amount of tours, secured the legacy of Guns N' Roses.

The post UYI years were Axl living off of royalties, tour profits, and the insane amount of money Geffen was throwing at him to make another album. Part of the reluctance to release much new stuff stems from the Chinese Democracy sessions when the record label was constantly fighting him regarding the record being fit for release.

It burned him out and and even the actual Chinese Democracy release was something he wasn't too pleased about. Imo the process of that album permanently jaded his ambition and desire to record and release new music.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, mystery said:

Axl basically hit it big early by having a tremendous amount of talent, a tremendously talented band behind him, and roughly 3 and a half albums that were huge that pretty much along with a similar amount of tours, secured the legacy of Guns N' Roses.

The post UYI years were Axl living off of royalties, tour profits, and the insane amount of money Geffen was throwing at him to make another album. Part of the reluctance to release much new stuff stems from the Chinese Democracy sessions when the record label was constantly fighting him regarding the record being fit for release.

It burned him out and and even the actual Chinese Democracy release was something he wasn't too pleased about. Imo the process of that album permanently jaded his ambition and desire to record and release new music.

What do you mean the record label was fighting him on the record being fit for release ? As in telling him the album was good to go or telling him he needed to do more work ? They gave him boat loads of money to get the album Finished and he still took him seven years after the majority of the album was done(by many peoples admissions) That’s his fault imo. Axl was the one who made the album and had control over what was and wasn’t on it and also the look of the album itself. Was he expecting geffen to hold his hand through it ? 

On 6/10/2022 at 8:51 PM, Legendador said:

Yeah man, I'd like to live in the parallel universe where all you've written could be possible.

I've never imagined about all of those albums being recorded by the UYI staff, and now I can't quit that idea out of my mind.

I feel sad and angry about that.

What a waste of talent.

Another thing that feels unknown in my mind: What spurred Axl to begin singing and songwriting again for Chinese Democracy? There were years during the production of that album where countless amounts of music was recorded but no vocals or lyrics by Axl. Producers tried to push him to record but realized it probably meant their job if they pushed too hard.

Suddenly around 1998-99, Axl writes the lyrics and records vocals for the vast majority of CD songs. I've heard little about what caused this creative output which comprises almost everything new that the band has released in the 23 years since.

• Like 1