Justin Hawkins on Axl in awesome video

Axl gives it 100%. The fact he made it to around 50 with his vocal style mostly intact should be appreciated more. He’s not a spring chicken anymore but he’s trying.

That being said I would like to see wiser setlist decisions to reflect his age. Coma after Better yesterday was a bad idea. Bringing back Hard Skool instead of Perhaps also questionable if they want to play their singles live. Get rid of YCBM/Better and bring it back PTU, TAY, Bad Obsession. Things like that.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So, the logical conclusion would be to stop doing 3-hour shows and stop doing songs he has issues with. There's plenty of 60+ singers who still sound like themselves and put on a great show.

Yea, it's cool that they brought back Reckless Life, but... why? It would've sounded great in 2016, or even a good night in 2017, but he can't just scream his way through songs anymore. He sounds bad shrieking his way through RL and his enunciation is terrible. You're Crazy would be cool if he'd rehearsed it properly. Coma and Better need to be dropped forever.

Honestly they could still do a 25-song show with the hits sprinkled throughout, and Axl would sound good for the vast majority of the show. But he refuses to adapt.

is not always the voice shape what bring it on the show, the axl attitude is a big part of his persona in the stage, and ofc his voice was legendary now we see a shadow but what a shadow...

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

So, the logical conclusion would be to stop doing 3-hour shows and stop doing songs he has issues with. There's plenty of 60+ singers who still sound like themselves and put on a great show.

Yea, it's cool that they brought back Reckless Life, but... why? It would've sounded great in 2016, or even a good night in 2017, but he can't just scream his way through songs anymore. He sounds bad shrieking his way through RL and his enunciation is terrible. You're Crazy would be cool if he'd rehearsed it properly. Coma and Better need to be dropped forever.

Honestly they could still do a 25-song show with the hits sprinkled throughout, and Axl would sound good for the vast majority of the show. But he refuses to adapt.

Yeah - I said something similar yesterday….at this point go with what sounds killer. If you HAVE to play the staples then keep them to a minimum…..or be radical and change how you sing them (I think back to the random ‘It’s gonna bring you down’ part of Jungle on the last tour when he went lower than usual and it sounded killer AND powerful).

Of course….some new material to fit his current voice would help too…..👀

I thought he sounded particularly good on the AC/DC track…..perhaps that’s what new material should be directed towards in style (If it ever arrives).

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Last year they played Coma towards the end of the tour and it sounded ok by today’s standard. This is the first time Axl has skipped lines in Coma. Since Coma is very difficult to sing due to too much lyrics, I think Axl is doing well, but It wasn’t a good idea to play Coma on the 1st show.

Edited by We love Axl Rose

2 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Yeah - I said something similar yesterday….at this point go with what sounds killer. If you HAVE to play the staples then keep them to a minimum…..or be radical and change how you sing them (I think back to the random ‘It’s gonna bring you down’ part of Jungle on the last tour when he went lower than usual and it sounded killer AND powerful).

Of course….some new material to fit his current voice would help too…..👀

I thought he sounded particularly good on the AC/DC track…..perhaps that’s what new material should be directed towards in style (If it ever arrives).

Walk All Over You was a cool surprise, that was one that I was hoping to hear him sing back in 2016.

I don't mind the covers as long as they sound good - Walk All Over You and Wichita Lineman sound good, and stuff like Marseilles and Down On The Farm would probably sound good too. GNR have less than 10 "must play" songs IMO, they could easily build the show around covers and deep cuts that Axl sounds good on.

8 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Walk All Over You was a cool surprise, that was one that I was hoping to hear him sing back in 2016.

I don't mind the covers as long as they sound good - Walk All Over You and Wichita Lineman sound good, and stuff like Marseilles and Down On The Farm would probably sound good too. GNR have less than 10 "must play" songs IMO, they could easily build the show around covers and deep cuts that Axl sounds good on.

Totally….I wonder how many times this discussion has been had on here! 🤣🤣🤣

And agreed on Wichita….I think they do a fantastic version and hope to hear a studio cut one day.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DTJ80 said:

Totally….I wonder how many times this discussion has been had on here! 🤣🤣🤣

And agreed on Wichita….I think they do a fantastic version and hope to hear a studio cut one day.

Probably a thousand... and I've probably been part of half those discussions :lol:

Honestly at this point I'd rather hear them go into a studio and knock out a Spaghetti Incident 2 over reworked CD songs... I'd like to hear them do some Thin Lizzy :headbang:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AxlRoseCDII said:

Axl gives it 100%. The fact he made it to around 50 with his vocal style mostly intact should be appreciated more. He’s not a spring chicken anymore but he’s trying.

That being said I would like to see wiser setlist decisions to reflect his age. Coma after Better yesterday was a bad idea. Bringing back Hard Skool instead of Perhaps also questionable if they want to play their singles live. Get rid of YCBM/Better and bring it back PTU, TAY, Bad Obsession. Things like that.

I don't doubt he tries, but that doesn't mean he needs to sound the way he does. Work could be done and he could sound better. It's clear no work is done and all he's done is get worse as a result.

I would love to see Axl adapting more to reality as well. 

Like you guys said, it could be a really cool, 2 hour show where most songs sound good to great. Bad Obession in, Better out.

YCBM for example would sound a million times better and cooler sung with his natural voice, etc., etc. 

Justin is a very good vocalist and have a good range, this is why he appreciated Axl a lot more than anyone, he knows his shit, this ainno cockney wailing or yeaaahaa shit from some other classic bands, GNR songs are mostly too tuff to perform vocally. Axl was too good with acdc cuz the songs were a walk in the park for him, and he is also a huge fan, he really enjoyed singing them. He struggles with his own songs, but at least tries to do his best every nite.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, MYWIFEMYLIFE said:

Justin is a very good vocalist and have a good range, this is why he appreciated Axl a lot more than anyone, he knows his shit, this ainno cockney wailing or yeaaahaa shit from some other classic bands, GNR songs are mostly too tuff to perform vocally. Axl was too good with acdc cuz the songs were a walk in the park for him, and he is also a huge fan, he really enjoyed singing them. He struggles with his own songs, but at least tries to do his best every nite.

Well I disagree with the walk in the park thing with AC/DC... those songs are a whole other type of challenge for a singer.

As for Axls range, he definitely painted himself into a corner with the vocals he recorded, just like most 70/80s singers, he is just a little older now and what was once there and ready to go at a drop of a hat isn't anymore. You have to continually practice and sing if you want to maintain your voice... he kinda sounds like he practiced a bit this time around so maybe the last tour was a wake up call... or maybe he just fluked it and had an ok(ish) night.

And Justin is a brilliant live singer, great band too always put on a great show!

On 6/5/2022 at 2:34 PM, Gordon Comstock said:

And not one of them had a voice like AXL. Totally different sets of circumstances.

Even then, claiming any 60+ year old still sounds like themselves (from their prime) is a serious stretch.

A classically trained vocalist like Barbra Streisand didn’t even sound like her old self even despite rarely touring or singing for many, many years.

Have you heard David Lee Roth lately? Dude sounds nothing like he once did. And he never put the same type of stresses on his voice that AXL had to.

There are many, many others that could be named as well. 

Edited by thunderram
  • Like 2