Jump to content

Why the lack of pyro?


Recommended Posts

I was wondering why GNR got rid of any pyro since Corona? Is it because they want to take just as many people on tour as they have to, to minimize risk of infection (in that case you could rather ditch half the people in their entourage like jarmo, who basically do nothing)? Or is it just to safe even more money? The pyro is not essential to have a great night, but it was pretty epic especially during Paradise City and let's face it: You want to have visual entertainment at a rock concert as well. Wish they'd bring that back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, jekylhyde said:

I remember someone speculated that they got rid of the pyro, because they stopped using click tracks.

Have know idea if it's true or not, though.

are lights- and screens animation linked to click tracks too?

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
22 minutes ago, t-p-d-a said:

are lights- and screens animation linked to click tracks too?

It makes sense that they would be, if they would use a click track. But it's not a necessity, obviously.

With pyro, being dangerous and all, it is a different ball game. Last week I listened to a recording of what goes on in the in-ear-monitors of KISS members during shows and they have vocal cues, where there is a voice guiding them, saying things like "verse in four, three, two, one" and then they sing the verse. Something similar would probably go on with pyros. To remind the band when the pyros are about to go on, so they know not to stand near them. And if you don't use a click track, you obviously can't have those pyro cues. I guess, it is a safety and insurance thing. No click tracks, no pyros.

This is pure speculation, though :book:

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, jekylhyde said:

I remember someone speculated that they got rid of the pyro, because they stopped using click tracks.

Have know idea if it's true or not, though.

Each of them makes enough money to pay the whole crew and equipment on their own. 

I think they just got lazy with everything 

Edited by Sosso
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Sosso said:

Each of them makes enough money to pay the whole crew and equipment on their own. 

I think they just got lazy with everything 

Or they wanted to make songs more groovy and flow-y. I don't know. It would all add up, though. Them apparently losing click tracks, ditching the pyro and Frank suddenly locking better with Slash and Duff.

Edited by jekylhyde
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Stay.Of.Execution said:

I was wondering why GNR got rid of any pyro since Corona? Is it because they want to take just as many people on tour as they have to, to minimize risk of infection (in that case you could rather ditch half the people in their entourage like jarmo, who basically do nothing)? Or is it just to safe even more money? The pyro is not essential to have a great night, but it was pretty epic especially during Paradise City and let's face it: You want to have visual entertainment at a rock concert as well. Wish they'd bring that back.

Straight from the horse's mouth: Because pyro isn't allowed in all countries on the tour so they dropped it altogether.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Wow 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

It makes sense that they would be, if they would use a click track. But it's not a necessity, obviously.

With pyro, being dangerous and all, it is a different ball game. Last week I listened to a recording of what goes on in the in-ear-monitors of KISS members during shows and they have vocal cues, where there is a voice guiding them, saying things like "verse in four, three, two, one" and then they sing the verse. Something similar would probably go on with pyros. To remind the band when the pyros are about to go on, so they know not to stand near them. And if you don't use a click track, you obviously can't have those pyro cues. I guess, it is a safety and insurance thing. No click tracks, no pyros.

This is pure speculation, though :book:

That's so Paul knows when to start lip synching, not for the pyro!

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

That's so Paul knows when to start lip synching, not for the pyro!

Exactly...that click track video was extremely embarrassing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I heard that during 2021 many bands pyro technicians bailed for greener pastures because of the time off during covid. I think lack of workers is also why RHCP postponed their tour last year. Many of these guys had to leave their professions in order to put food on the table. It makes sense to me, as well as what someone said earlier about minimizing the crew. I don’t buy that it’s for saving money. I mean even when Axl was touring with new GNR, they still had pyro where it was allowed and confetti during paradise city. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Casting away pyro cuts down on material and labor costs, can give the show more of a natural flow, lessens the hassle of dealing with legal/permitting issues, and is an overall safer approach.

It makes sense to me as to why they're not using it.

Edited by IndiannaRose
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, jekylhyde said:

Last week I listened to a recording of what goes on in the in-ear-monitors of KISS members during shows and they have vocal cues, where there is a voice guiding them, saying things like "verse in four, three, two, one" and then they sing the verse. Something similar would probably go on with pyros. To remind the band when the pyros are about to go on, so they know not to stand near them.

Have you got a link for that please

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, ssiscool said:

Have you got a link for that please

PM'd you :book:

For anyone else interested, it's easily available on Youtube. 

Edited by jekylhyde
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, SoulMonster said:

Straight from the horse's mouth: Because pyro isn't allowed in all countries on the tour so they dropped it altogether.

Wonder how Rammstein get away with it

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, IndiannaRose said:

Casting away pyro cuts down on material and labor costs, can give the show more of a natural flow, lessens the hassle of dealing with legal/permitting issues, and is an overall safer approach.

It makes sense to me as to why they're not using it.

Axl slash and duff arent sitting there negotiating all that stuff though, so why should they give a damn? It's clearly for the money saved. They didn't do it in USA, they're not doing it in europe. In terms of safety. have you ever seen a kiss show? or motley crue? or rammstein! GnR was 1% of that. Pyro is allowed in all those countries too.  Muse had flying drones over the crowd and laser lights whilst pyro was on stage. GnR have a couple of bangs during live n let die, nightrain and paradise city, with some confetti, some raining sparks during nov rain. Money talks an GnR listen KACHINNG ££$$$$

Edited by JimiRose
new thought
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, adamsapple said:

They sure sound better without pyro, so I second the no more click track theory.

Agree 100%.. They seem a lot looser and sound better without the Pyro.. And click track if that is the case.. Never cared for the Pyro anyway.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...