Will Breakdown ever be played live?

Just now, MJRemastered98 said:

We got since the reunion deep cuts such as Coma and Locomotive, I am now wondering if Breakdown will ever be played at least once. I would personally love to see it once or twice done and then released the way Locomotive was. 

What do you think, will they play this song ever again?

soon is the word

I'd like to see it at least once. It'd be the last of what I consider "epic" songs from the UYI albums to be played on this 6 year long tour. They've played Estranged, Coma, November Rain, and Civil War which are setlist regulars now. Locomotive a few years ago followed by Breakdown would top things off. 

Edited by mystery

12 hours ago, jamillos said:

A mickeyed version of one of the best songs? No, thanks.

What is teh difference than that and almost every other sing he sings? lol

He may not sound as good anymore but I give him credit for not giving a shit and playing the songs anyway..  As much grief they get for their setlists, I think they have shown they will try almost anything and I absolutely think there is a chance.  I would never say never for anything aside One In A illion ...

Reckless Life, Coma, Locomotive, Slither, Nice Boys, Dead Horse.. As awful as they are, Hardschool and Absurd?  Anything is possible..  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom-Ass said:

He may not sound as good anymore but I give him credit for not giving a shit and playing the songs anyway..

That's not a good thing though. I don't know if Axl is trying to prove something to himself or to the fans by squeaking his way through Reckless, Back In Black, etc. but adding those songs to the set isn't a selling point unless Axl can sing them well.

I posted this elsewhere, but at this point the core of the show should be something like this: Easy, Brownstone, CD, Double Talkin' Jive, Pretty Tied Up, You Ain't The First, Patience, Wichita, KOHD, Bad Obsession, Down On The Farm, Black Leather, Marseilles, You're Crazy, and So Fine / Raw Power. Sprinkle in the few 'must play' hits and call it a UYI/TSI anniversary tour.

Stuff like Reckless Life and Back In Black needs aggressive, raspy vocals that he just can't do.

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 1

4 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

What is teh difference than that and almost every other sing he sings? lol

He may not sound as good anymore but I give him credit for not giving a shit and playing the songs anyway..  As much grief they get for their setlists, I think they have shown they will try almost anything and I absolutely think there is a chance.  I would never say never for anything aside One In A illion ...

Reckless Life, Coma, Locomotive, Slither, Nice Boys, Dead Horse.. As awful as they are, Hardschool and Absurd?  Anything is possible..  

it’s very compressed vocally. But you’re right it would all sound the same now. I don’t hear any hope for his vocal chords at this point. Back in 11-14 you could make an argument he was holding back. Now you can tell he’s trying and it’s just not going to happen. Too old to have surgery on his damaged vocal chords. But as I’ve said before it’s all good. Glad they are still out doing their best! Hopefully breakdown makes a rare appearance for fun 

I don't see it coming back mainly because unlike Coma and Locomotive, Breakdown is not under the umbrella of Slashs babies he wrote, it's an Axl song. So I don't think Slash is really gonna push bringing that back into the set, it would have to come from Axls side, and I think he's more interested in covers and newer stuff. Maybe changes with a UYI boxset coming out but I wouldn't bet on it.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

His vocal "rasp" as it is called has dried up. Amazing he got that much out of it for so many years, but it seems that he is trying to pitch his vocals nowadays with no grit and the end result is just an odd falsetto sound that is at odds with the venom and fuck you attitude of the band in their 80s/90s heyday. I heard a couple of lines of Back In Black and it was horrendous. Breakdown would sound just as shit vocally.

its one of thoe songs Izzy is despeartely needed.  Ax could solve half of his vocal problems if he shared vovals with Izzy or Gilby, ie. Rio YCBM second night. Funny someone is so greedy he keeps rolling this cash grab instead of covering his inabilities and bringing a great show with original line up.

2 hours ago, Frankfurt93 said:

Funny someone is so greedy he keeps rolling this cash grab instead of covering his inabilities and bringing a great show with original line up.

What's to say he can't do both?? Do the cashgrab first, and then do the AFD lineup shows after. That's just plain smart, that's what I would do. No need to choose only one when you can do both. I'm pretty sure in the back of Axls mind he knows the original lineup doing a show is wanted by many people and will garner attention no matter what, it's like an ace up the sleeve he's keeping.

Edited by StrangerInThisTown

8 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

What's to say he can't do both?? Do the cashgrab first, and then do the AFD lineup shows after. That's just plain smart, that's what I would do. No need to choose only one when you can do both. I'm pretty sure in the back of Axls mind he knows the original lineup doing a show is wanted by many people and will garner attention no matter what, it's like an ace up the sleeve he's keeping.

that is something I've been saying for years, just that moment is slowly passing and his singing is declining.  soon the momentum will be passed and he ain't doing no favour neither to himself nor the people buying the tickets.

On 6/13/2022 at 6:00 PM, Amish said:

Couldn't sing it live back in the day and would obviously still butcher it today, but I still want to hear it 

I listened to the 2 bootleg recordings that are out there from when they played it which was in the span of a week in December 1991. Axl doesn't sound too bad on it even though it's that UYI era extra raspy style. He certainly has an easier time with it than Coma and Locomotive from that era.

If they played it currently it'll have no rasp but I think he could sing it well within those constraints. Unlike Coma and Locomotive Axl doesn't really belt it out on Breakdown as much as sing the verses somewhat fast which are still not as fast as Locomotive.