What is your favourite thing about Axl?

My favorite thing about Axl is it seems like he generally doesn't care about fame or celebrity like the vast majority of famous people do. Yes he's part of one of the biggest rock bands of all time and yes they tour to millions of people, but post 1994 he seems to have a fairly normal, private life when he's not fulfilling those duties. 

Edited by mystery
  • Like 1

Axl just has a unique vibe to him, be it his unique vocal sound or the way he writes songs.  As with all of the all time greats of rock singers/frontmen, I think he has that certain star power quality that even when he is not vocally at 100 percent, he still draws interest (even as frustrated as we can get with GNR land sometimes lol)

• Like 1

A lot of things and some I dislike (come on man...Robin Finck???) but I love that when he was on top of the world and should have been happy he was probably more angry than ever :lol:

I'm not happy he was angry! But he had a realness that I don't think has ever been seen again in another rock star. 

Always doing it his way and being true to his art. For better or worse, he seems to be a genuine individual. He takes care of those who have stuck by him. When Dizzy was on hard times, Axl created a position for him. Hell he even offered DJ a position in the reunion. 

Plus I love his songwriting! Slash is my guitar hero, but hundreds of years from now, Axl will be the one who’s looked back at like Mozart. The mad genius. Prime example, sweet child intro;

Slash- it’s just a warm up finger exercise

Axl-no, it’s gonna be the biggest rock ballad of all time!  

7 hours ago, The-Jungle83 said:

It's so difficult to pin it down to one thing, so I'm not going to, I'm just gonna flat out roll and see what comes out, here goes...

He's a complete one-off... as they say, often imitated but never duplicated, say what you want about him but he has never been boring or dull (either in good or bad ways). I can imagine Axl still being here in his 70s, still doing what he does with whatever voice he still has, and you know what? I'll still love him. He, his band and their music have soundtracked some of the most amazing times in my life, and inspired me through the not so amazing ones.

I told a story here last year about my first live GNR experience in 2006, the weeks, days, and hours  leading up to that first time seeing GNR live - it was a hell of a time in my life, and Axl inspired that whirlwind of emotions - as far down as completely replaying GTA San Andreas with K-DST constantly on loop (If you know, you know right? 😁)... that's how emotionally invested I was in the whole Axl/GNR package back then.

the aforementioned story - 

I'm going to see them again on the 5th of next month, and you know what...? I'm still invested. I for one am going to dedicate a day or 2 before the gig, to reliving those halcyon days back in summer '06, I'll walk the same streets with Paradise City blaring in my ears, I'll drink in the same bars, I'll visit all the same places, I'll do my damn best to recapture the feelings I had back then... why? because I want to, because Axl inspires me to do so, and I cannot say that of any other artist I've ever been to see in my life. All the criticism of Axl's voice is all background noise to me at this stage, I heard all the same criticisms  on MyGNR when I was here in 06 too, but my thinking now is as it was then - the physical entity that is W. Axl Rose comes down to so much more than rasp or mickey, we still have Axl, so try your best to enjoy him for who he is, and who he continues to be, while you still can... because nothing lasts forever, even cold November rain.

This is what Axl is to me, I'm sorry it was so long - but it was never gonna be a couple of sentences was it? 😁

Hope you all have an awesome day, peace n' love.

Very well put!

• Like 1